Author Topic: Complete control over your weapon - combat mechanics overhaul suggestion  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
So I was wondering why Warband feels so quirky at times and I thought to myself, what would the game feel like if the combat was inverted. If you had to hold the button for the duration of the swing until it connected, as opposed to just clicking it.
Then I thought, wait a minute... you are a complete idiot, how would you hold your swings?!
But then I thought, what if WHAT IF(hold onto your hats gentleman) you could control your weapon, to some extent, all of the time. Here is how it would work. Brace...
(click to show/hide)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So the basic state is rest. If you push LMB it starts the attack animation. The attack animation can have 3 outcomes, after which the weapon return into rest mode. Firstly, the weapon connects with an object. Secondly, it completely lacks any barriers in its trajectory. Thirdly, the player iniates return to the resting mode, by pressing RMB, i.e. feinting. Think of it as brakes in a car. (Note: As the attack animation proceeds the weapon velocity progressively increases) If you drive a car at 300 mph and you turn while simultaneously stepping hard on the brake, you can expect some trouble. That's why the stumble wouldn't be as pronounced when performing thrusting attacks, obviously.

If coded in such a manner that it feels fluid and intuitive, this would be pretty neat way to handle combat, in my opinion.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2763
  • Infamy: 2385
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Complete control over your weapon - combat mechanics overhaul suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 08:57:10 pm »
Sounds like a stupid idea. But don't worry, you're not the only one who has stupid ideas. For example, our great donkey overlord wanted to make a space game. Like that was't stupid enough, he asked this community how to improve on typical FPS mechanics (holding and firing a gun). I'm not sure but think he had some concepts how that should work and some people chipped their own crazy theories. Luckily for both him and his community, that went down the shitter.

Fast forward few years and some dumbass had similar idea. FPS mechanics envisioned by great J.C. isn't hardcore and groundbreaking enough, let's improve on that. Do what Armagan did to melee combat mechanics in video games, simulate it and get it to next level. Because if Armagan was lucky and got the right formula every other code monkey is bound to succeed, isn't that right? Let's see the results, shall we:

Do not mess with Warbands formula too much or you'll end with crap. Whole 360 degree of attack is almost on the same level of craziness like Chris Roberts idea of unified 1st and 3rd person animations. Doubt that will work well. And yet you want to add more changes to Warbands successful formula...

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:37:39 pm »
Sounds pretty much like Chivalry, or maybe I don't understand you correctly. I prefer the Warband approach to anything else I have played so far. I wouldn't stray away too far from it.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 02:33:24 pm »
Sounds pretty much like Chivalry, or maybe I don't understand you correctly. I prefer the Warband approach to anything else I have played so far. I wouldn't stray away too far from it.
As far as I know, Chivalry's combat is nothing like what I'm proposing. In Chivalry, you simply click a button to attack or block.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 03:24:36 pm »
As far as I know, Chivalry's combat is nothing like what I'm proposing. In Chivalry, you simply click a button to attack or block.

I mean in terms of pressing a button which immediately starts the attack animation as opposed to hold the attack as long as you see fit. I definitely prefer the latter.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 11:00:43 pm »
If you had to hold the button for the duration of the swing until it connected, as opposed to just clicking it.
And I don't really see any benefit of the first compared to the second, to be honest.

Offline Hellsing

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 01:39:23 pm »
Well I think I get your point about being able to make strange moves with a sword using a system u mentioned.
But u wouldn't strike like a trained swordsman - instead players would swing their arms like peasents, totaly overwhelmed how to attack...

Sure u have more sword control dat way, but most players wont get a real strike and that's just annoying playing a game.
It's still a fast past action game in combat not a realistic medival arms simulator :D
360° of possible sides to attack are more than enough, no need for self piercing peasent next to me breaking their arms trying to land a hit :o

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 03:27:14 pm »
Isn't it a bit like "Die by the Sword"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-lvqEs7aJ0

Never played it though. Looks a bit weird.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 03:42:05 pm »
Somewhat.

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 03:23:51 am »
Your gif is too slow for me, I couldn't sit through it.

Text walkthrough seemed to explain a system that can do some of the things that the current system can do, but nothing that it can't do. This left me nonplussed.