Author Topic: Melee Battlegrounds - New Gameplay concept!  (Read 44409 times)

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
Re: Melee Battlegrounds - New Gameplay concept!
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2015, 05:08:59 am »
+1
Can we talk about servers... Where will they be hosted? Will NA / EU get different servers? What will the specs be (ex. max players..)..?

Yeah, fuck 360 degree combat with high ping.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sigibert

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2015, 12:06:02 pm »
+1
Man, I'm pretty hyped for the game right now...

I used to be hyped for "Life is Feudal" as well until I learned that it's not really that much about fighting but tedious building, farming, grinding... Also the combat is far from being as good as Mount&Blade was.

So, I'm pleased to hear that MBG while also being sandboxy and open will try to focus on warfare. Imho that is what made Mount&Blade SP so interesting in the first place:
if you wanted, you could fight all the way.

That leads me to the question if it will really be the case:
in Persistent World Mod there is not so much room to fight all the way. You can join a faction and hope that it will declare war on somebody soon but in the meantime you're pretty much waiting for something to happen.
I feel there should be a constant legal war going on, maybe between those 2 kingdoms? And if you wanted you could gather some troops, ride over there and kill some unsuspecting players. Sorry, if you already answered that.

I'm not so sure about permadeath but I'm willing to trust you on that.

What about full loot btw? I'm personally not that much in favour of it. I like the idea that you spend time into gathering your stuff and that it reflects your engagement in the game. In a full loot game every lucky peasant can wear your shiny full plate armor if he manages to kill you.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2015, 01:41:35 pm »
+1
More like:
- to attack someone you need a levelled character (no throwaway)
- if you kill someone, it can be traced back to you
- put some negative perk on you, possibly one that you cant get rid of (eg being capable of being murdered in your sleep by the family of whoever you killed)

those are just a few ideas, not necessarily what will be in game. but that goes for anything in this thread, really, we are developing iteratively.

Please don't add this bullshit. There shouldn't be any limitations like that. You may add some kind of reputation which would more like an aesthetic parameter used for roleplaying or other purposes (i.e. you can't achieve a status of a knight having negative reputation or become a bandit with positive whatsoever). Giving away random deaths like "you were killed while you were sleeping, kthxbye" would cause GTXs. The more reasons to quit - the faster community disappears (you should have learned it well with crpg).

The whole "no grind" idea is also a misleading point. According to your description the game lacks addiction points and abounds with reasons to quit the game. It doesn't make it more hardcore - it makes it more random and stupid. I'm all for e-sport elements in this game: competitive fights, less random factors, strategy and tactics elements. If you don't make a proper fighting system - nobody would play a broken SimCity simulator.

One idea in my mind is also that, to kill someone, you need to watch him for some time. So there will be a way to disguise your identity and then kill him. The one who is killed (his family or faction) doesn't know who it was. He does however know that it was one who was within his vicinity. It must be someone he interacted with. Murder weapons will not be disposable, but must be hidden for some time. When the murder weapon is found, or the killer, it will be possible to backtrace where his weapons or money came from, so you cant just make a pure throwaway killer account.

Those are just ideas to give you an idea about the permadeath feature. Murders will be rare, special events, and something that will always be investigated.

On the other hand though, a murder will hurt. A lot. It will be very disruptive, possibly destroying your economy or political agenda. I have a few ideas how to do that, but will also take a lot of testing.

You won't "live" only with the people you like. You live in cities, very public to some extent, and you will not like everyone within that city. There are people coming and going, traders, new immigrates, and lots of social tension.

As I said, that feature will take a lot of finetuning to get right. But I think when we get it right, it will be an interesting concept of the game, because some murders will be executed in a way where the murderer can't be found, and will cause distrust in communities. Possibly wars between families. Drama. Stories :wink:

For now it just looks like a fantasy without any backthoughts about how to make it work. It has nothing to do with real game experience. You speak about drama, politics and so on. And how it will be in reality:
a 12y.o. kid who lives nearby did something bad to my character (stole food i.e.), called me a noob and my mom a fat bitch. I want that bugger to get killed - so there is no way I can fight him without killing the game experience for my character forever?

My main suggestion: stop this fantasy bullcrap and make a classy game with perfect fighting system. You can add other stuff on top of it. Other than that - the game is going to become a usual crap that is always "work in progress" or "early alpha access" with shitloads of bugs and broken features that makes it hard to achieve a good gaming experience.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:49:58 pm by DaveUKR »

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2015, 01:45:29 pm »
iirc, it was mentioned that there will be an always-on battle mode where you can join if you want to fight anytime ... just like cRPG ... additionally i dont think i heared people complain about lack of fights in strat. So, i dont think it will be a large problem, since also, iirc, you will be able to join battles for battleing factions (aswell similar to strat) ... not sure if you can join as random merc (like strat) but at least you will be able to join if you(your character/family/army) are located or traveled to the region of the conflict ...

also: WB DaveUKR  :mrgreen:
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2015, 02:00:47 pm »
Who will be the King? For balancing reason i think it could be an admin, but for gameplay i think there should maybe be something like a voting from the factionns (1 vote from every faction, so bigger factions themselves got a disadvantage). It would be a problem if the title of the King would stay always in the same faction/on the same person, it would, why you can imagine yourself.

Either voting, a certain territory you have to hold (army power) or an object you need to posess (personal power). Which one it will be, we'll test, and maybe we try different variants in different rounds.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:51:41 pm by chadz »

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2015, 02:03:47 pm »
iirc, it was mentioned that there will be an always-on battle mode where you can join if you want to fight anytime ... just like cRPG ... additionally i dont think i heared people complain about lack of fights in strat. So, i dont think it will be a large problem, since also, iirc, you will be able to join battles for battleing factions (aswell similar to strat) ... not sure if you can join as random merc (like strat) but at least you will be able to join if you(your character/family/army) are located or traveled to the region of the conflict ...

also: WB DaveUKR  :mrgreen:

Yeah, I didn't misunderstand it. chadz said that he wants a unimap for everything (225 sq km) means that there will be an open world for everyone to play there. So if there is a battle and you want to fight there - you'll be moved or will have to move there somehow. But I'm speaking about the stuff behind it. The daily small fights look more promising to me, like defending a caravan against the ambush or attacking it, punishing trolling kids (there is no way any game can avoid it), fighting people beyond official battles. Permadeath is too harsh (don't tell me that I didn't understand it, I foresee people claiming it, just reread what I say) and having no penalty makes no sense either.

I'm all against making things difficult like that. If you don't know how things will work - don't do it. Make simple things work well first.

Offline ARN_

• Duke
  • Renown: 605
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarunionen_Arn
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2015, 02:04:58 pm »
Will you be able to end feuds with players through duels either to first blood or if you so wish to death with out getting any penalties for killing? Would be quite sweet to kill your rivals in an honourable way :twisted:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:05:07 pm by ARN_ »
'You think you tell us what we do?'
'We not here for you entertainment'.
Eastern European sportsmanship 2014

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2015, 02:06:08 pm »
What happens if you have own castle or city and few players join to your faction and kill you.
You will lost your castle? Or how will be castles/cities linked to player/king?

Players can't just join your faction, you need to give them access. The people in control of a city (usually a faction) will have some options to give power to other people. You can also mark areas within your territory for building, so people can build houses and economy there. If you want a closed off castle where no one except friends have access, or a flourishing city where people can come to live, is up to you.

If it's possible to take over an entire city by killing the ruling class.. We'll see. Sounds both interesting and overpowered. Tests will tell

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2015, 02:06:58 pm »
Its should be valve in the middle of the desert

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2015, 02:09:25 pm »
+1
Players can't just join your faction,
(click to show/hide)
andwhat if the king А and the king В would not love  Russians and Polish for expl and will not accept them in the fraction.  :(

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2015, 02:15:21 pm »
+1
... mega carebear alliances like the UIF could form in your concept. I personally find it makes the experience very stale without there being anything you can do about it as a player. Will you implement any mechanics to discourage disproportionally large alliances? I imagine something could be done with diminishing returns for having more members/vassals, however these mechanics also need to be metagaming proof, as in people not officially allying to avoid mechanics while still cooperating for all intents and purposes.

I'm trying to fix that problem at the root. As in, even if you are super strong, you will have an unquestionable control of your current location, but you will never rule the entire world.
But at the same time, locations only offer a certain amount of resources. If your group is too big, you are not as efficient as when you would split up a bit.

All the ideas regarding punishing factions for too many members... It's not gonna work out. Too easy to bypass.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2015, 02:19:35 pm »
Will be there a family tree system ? (shown in the player's profile would be great though! :D)
Other good features in that I think it's adding the cause and time of death of the specific family member who deceased :)

Me personally, I don't care that much about it, I just think in gameplay terms. Nessaj is a fan of it, though, so you might see something like that :)

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2015, 02:20:48 pm »
Hey Dave ... i was mainly replying to Sigiberts concern about possible lag of fights ... aka action component of the game ;)
After rereading your post, i pretty much agree with most of your points, yet, i need to add, that it all has to start with an optimistic idea - a fantasy - that has to be evaluated and adapted to arising problems. There will be many problems arising of which nobody has thought of, other problems that where big concerns will perhaps solve themself or at least will fall down on the priority list very far. Id say, best tactic is : hope forthe best; prepare for the worst ;D

(click to show/hide)
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2015, 02:23:04 pm »
Crafting.

How detailed will it be? How customizable will it be? Will players be able to create custom textures for items like swords, etc, so that you can tell who made a sword just by how it looks? Will there be a skill tree for crafting in general, or will it be split up further into various fields (i.e leatherworkers, tailors, smiths, etc.) that a player will have to specialize in?

Good questions. For the beginning, however, I want to keep it simple. There will be different qualities depending on who/where/how it was crafted, but maybe not visible in the beginning.

The entire economy boils down to one goal in the end: support your military power. So everything you do, either top or bottom of the resource chain, ends in either weapons, armors, troops or military structures at one point.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2015, 02:27:47 pm »
Will it be a 15x15 square map(which the number implies) or a stretched rectangle to increase max distances?

15x15, for the sake of sparing my brain of complex math.
(click to show/hide)