Author Topic: Melee Battlegrounds - New Gameplay concept!  (Read 44310 times)

pogosan

Re: Melee Battlegrounds - New Gameplay concept!
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 09:15:36 pm »
+1

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 09:21:02 pm »
+3
As for running a pure military faction, sure, that's possible. Eg as mercenaries or bandits. You don't need to set up a big city, just a camp. As it has no intrinsic value, no one will bother you. Probably.
As for running a pure economical faction, that might be difficult... If you can't protect yourself, people will take your stuff, I guess.

As for bullying:

It will be very difficult to send huge armies far away. The more agressive your army policy is, the weaker your economy gets. If you send off your army to the other end of the map, where it will take them days to get there, you are hurting yourself more than the faction you are attacking. So warfare is location based, to some extent.

As for fairness, there will (maybe not initially) be kings that may have an interest in keeping peace within their kingdom. So it's their job to make sure the factions in his kingdom dont rip each others throat out.

But apart from that... we won't protect small factions. If you are a small faction, you better excel at something (fighting, a very high quality item/resource, etc) so you have some leverage. There is not only miliary power, there is also economical power and diplomacy. If you figured out a way to produce something so unique that everyone wants it, people will trade with you, and money buys power.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:25:23 pm by chadz »

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • Renown: 343
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 09:22:08 pm »
While I can't give you a real answer, I'd imagine they wouldn't stop them. To be completely realistic, a smaller faction would just overrun by larger ones, because thats how it works in real life. I see no reason why a stronger group of players would not be allowed to take advantage of weaker groups..

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 09:25:38 pm »
While I can't give you a real answer, I'd imagine they wouldn't stop them. To be completely realistic, a smaller faction would just overrun by larger ones, because thats how it works in real life. I see no reason why a stronger group of players would not be allowed to take advantage of weaker groups..
+1.
 Please chadz don't make it like strat where the most number of players = easy win

Offline 722_

• Marshall
  • Renown: 991
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 09:29:03 pm »
Awesome. Another quick question, which i'm sure you have answered a million times already... what would I need to run this game on good settings? If I'm going to ever be dedicated to a game of this kind of scale, I would love to be immersed both by the gameplay and the graphics, and what i've seen looks very pretty. Currently my little shitty laptop can hardly run crpg, but I plan on bulding this in the near future.

this build will max the current build easily, I have a i5 760 & GTX 560Ti which is pretty outdated nowadays and can run it at 40-50fps on max.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

pogosan

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 09:29:16 pm »

Offline Eddy

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OotQ
  • Game nicks: Eddy
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 09:34:16 pm »
Also i think you guys forget that there is not only war between factions themselves but between the two kingdoms.
The King has a interest to keep the border safe, conquer things from the other kingdom etc. For that he needs troops and resources and military/bigger factions will propably contribute a high amount of troops and equipment, while merchant/smaller faction contribute gold and other resources.
So in the end the military factions wouldnt have that more troops, still it would be significantly more so that 1 merchant/smaller faction wouldnt stand a chance. But what will their tradingpartner do if they get attacked?  :D
I think it will balance itself out, with a larger playerbase than crpg ofc. .Its pretty easy to get high numbers of players and steamroll in a community which is existing out of 500 players, while its way harder if it got several thousands.

And this leeds me to another questions:
Who will be the King? For balancing reason i think it could be an admin, but for gameplay i think there should maybe be something like a voting from the factionns (1 vote from every faction, so bigger factions themselves got a disadvantage). It would be a problem if the title of the King would stay always in the same faction/on the same person, it would, why you can imagine yourself.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:47:25 pm by Eddy »

Offline Krex

• Earl
  • Renown: 403
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • How did I get here?
    • View Profile
    • Steam
  • Game nicks: Krex
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 10:09:51 pm »
Also i think you guys forget that there is not only war between factions themselves but between the two kingdoms.
The King has a interest to keep the border safe, conquer things from the other kingdom etc. For that he needs troops and resources and military/bigger factions will propably contribute a high amount of troops and equipment, while merchant/smaller faction contribute gold and other resources.
So in the end the military factions wouldnt have that more troops, still it would be significantly more so that 1 merchant/smaller faction wouldnt stand a chance. But what will their tradingpartner do if they get attacked?  :D
I think it will balance itself out, with a larger playerbase than crpg ofc. .Its pretty easy to get high numbers of players and steamroll in a community which is existing out of 500 players, while its way harder if it got several thousands.

And this leeds me to another questions:
Who will be the King? For balancing reason i think it could be an admin, but for gameplay i think there should maybe be something like a voting from the factionns (1 vote from every faction, so bigger factions themselves got a disadvantage). It would be a problem if the title of the King would stay always in the same faction/on the same person, it would, why you can imagine yourself.
Its gonna be the person with the most influence I would guess.Would make the most sense.
Quote from: Tomeusz link=topic=45416.msg717346#msg717346
horse just standing on 2 feets and does "yhohohohoh".

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 10:10:37 pm »
+1
Ok so I am on board with the two kingdoms idea, but coming back to Varadins question, can we hope to find some kind of city states/ petty kingdoms? For examples city states like in mordern day Germany and Italy (independent cities living within borders of larger kingdom).

Would add a bit more depth I reckon, having more opportunities for alliances, Non-Agression Pacts as well as commerce and trade.
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

pogosan

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 10:20:23 pm »
+1

pogosan

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 10:43:41 pm »

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 10:50:33 pm »
+3
If there are no rules, or rules made by the strongest players, shit will go down like PW if its open world. RDM's etc.
Cities should be safe places, but in certain areas (taverns - small alleyways - outskirts/slums etc) it is still mildly dangerous to be killed.

well theres gonna be a lot of grinding so to see, so cRPG players do what they did best - GRIND MOTHERFUCKER, GRIND! - and nolifers will have super power while casual players will have shit

Would add a bit more depth I reckon, having more opportunities for alliances, Non-Agression Pacts as well as commerce and trade.

Fleet as Earth Ambassador please :)
Maybe we can test multiple regime types/ things  here! (that Green Anarchism stuff you talked about)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:53:56 pm by skeletzo »
Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2015, 10:53:16 pm »
+1
If there are no rules, or rules made by the strongest players, shit will go down like PW if its open world. RDM's etc.
Cities should be safe places, but in certain areas (taverns - small alleyways - outskirts/slums etc) it is still mildly dangerous to be killed.

well theres gonna be a lot of grinding so to see, so cRPG players do what they did best - GRIND MOTHERFUCKER, GRIND! - and nolifers will have super power while casual players will have shit

Last thing I would like to see is a game that seemed awesome into its development turning into PW with less lags (or more, we don't know).

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2015, 10:53:57 pm »
+9
In my opinion you should be absolutely uncompromising and try to achieve exactly your dream. Do not listen anybody. Hunch tells me that you have a good instinct and people will love your next project even more than the present one. Of course, epic and high quality is required, but life is too short to waste time for bad projects.

Look around. We have no game to play. Everything is a shit. Sooner or later, everyone goes back to dead mod, cuz there is no alternative. Do something you, yourself want to play, and do it with us.
I hope we will erase you from the map hehehe
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Maestro

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2015, 10:54:31 pm »
I like new ideas
But 2 factions would be good only if one will be European and Second big faction arabian.