Author Topic: Total War Attila  (Read 3393 times)

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
Total War Attila
« on: November 25, 2014, 12:24:13 am »
This looks pretty damned cool if you haven't already seen it, kind of like what barbararian invasion was to Rome Total War back in the day.

Also the Viking Forefathers Culture pack where you can play as the Norse factions has sold it for me (obviously), cant bloody wait :) This and the new Warband viking DLC have got me sorted till the new vikings series 3 heh.
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Total War Attila
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 12:25:30 am »
I want to believe its not a Rome 2 copy and paste, desperately

Unfortunately reality is cruel.  At least family trees are back

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:54:22 am »
+4
Looks cool? Really? After Rome 2? Fuck them. The fact they're making a copypaste of Rome 2 with a few features that were supposed to be in Rome 2 and charging full price of it, while Rome 2 was a broken piece of shit for a year after release, maybe more... fuck them.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:06:04 pm »
Rome 2 was such a giant flop. Theres no redemption for it. And offering gamefixes as full-priced dlc-s is just shameful dispray.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 02:50:26 pm »
This is to Rome 2 as what Napoleon was to Empires just on a much larger scale, except that this time they don't admit that and will sell this shit like it's a brand new game. I was massively disappointed when I saw this announced a while ago tbh, sure I'll play it but I am more looking forward to seeing what the Warhammer game they're working on is going to be like.

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 04:10:22 pm »
While I say it looks cool, I'll probably wait to a decent steam sale in a years time.
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 04:17:59 pm »
+3
I still play Rome 2 a bunch. Its a much better game with all the patches and DLC content. Multiplayer matches are really fun and its decently balanced outside of chariot abuse that most people don't do but boy is it glorious to get 500+ kills per chariot and steamrolling entire infantry blobs with pullthrough abuse.

This game Atilla isn't even full price its 45 dollars I think. Bound to be 30 USD or less on cd key sites at launch. Using the fully patched Rome 2 as a foundation for a new era and all the new scripting they are doing will probably produce a much better product at release.

Yeah we all know Rome 2 sucked for 6 months but it got rushed out the door by Sega while needing a lot more work. Go play a campaign now if you don't believe me, they overhauled the pace of combat to be slower and more balanced, revamped all the buildings and economy trees, some modders make really high quality UI additions or unit packs to keep it interesting too but the base game is polished enough now that it's not necessary for total overhauls.

Give MP a shot too. Real fun battles without the AI bogging shit down by blob charging the center of your line, but even battle AI has seen much improvement and flanks or sieges properly.

CA makes great unique games and the amount of patching and support in Rome 2 over the past year or two has been impressive for what its worth.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 04:25:42 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Yes, but after they promised us in a patch the siege combat was fixed and it was even worse than first time when sega made them dump it out of the door they lost me as a customer. I'll buy it on 75% sale if I ever actually pay them a cent for it, they owe me a game.
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 04:34:03 pm »
+2
Yes, but after they promised us in a patch the siege combat was fixed and it was even worse than first time when sega made them dump it out of the door they lost me as a customer. I'll buy it on 75% sale if I ever actually pay them a cent for it, they owe me a game.

Its all fixed now. Even shitty unwalled settlements the AI will hold reserves and block every useful chokepoint with holding units and maybe flank you with spares. Like the battle AI is better then ever in any Total War game, despite it breaking a couple patches ago. Shogun 2 still plays better though but its simpler. I gave up on Rome 2 for a year and barely played it on release but came back around the "Emperor Edition" rebranding which finished all the polish the game lacked. Give it a go on Grand Campaign mode Hard or Very Hard difficulty and you'll have fun.

Yeah it sucks that Rome 2 was real fucked up after all the hype and a lot of customers got burnt but CA turned it around with time and effort. Why I think they will get Attila right and are prob real eager to not disappoint their fans again.

Also, cd key sites! I haven't payed full price for a game in years with sites like Kinguin being legit and fast.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Gallonigher
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 06:57:55 pm »

I'm with Smoothrich; the game was a broken mess upon release but they've sorted out most of the kinks now.  After the recent patches + workshop downloads, it's one of the best TW you can buy. 

(Oh, and here's a friendly tip for fighting on the walls because I hear how much it sucks) Select whichever units you have fighting on the walls and turn off their "fight in formation" button.  It helps a lot.

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 07:11:46 pm »
+2
When did become even remotely acceptable for any purchased-product to be unusable at release on the thin promise of patches or after market changes? Why in gods name anyone would ever buy anything produced by SEGA or CA while they continue that kind of shoddy business practice is fucked.

I agree that Rome 2 is decent now, but CA and SEGA have been in a downward spiral with their Total War games for a long time now, the sooner you all stop supporting them the sooner they'll be forced to clean their act up. Or they'll stop making the games and someone competent will pick up the concept.

Literally since Empire they've been releasing betas as a finished product, it is not acceptable, they are a AAA game development studio, professionalism in their business practices is literally required. Or should be, were it not for all the people that are willing to take their shit.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:14:50 pm by Sparvico »
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 07:48:09 pm »
+1
Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai is one of the best PC strategy games period and has the smoothest most polished gameplay of any Total War game and was released all functional and good. Rome 2 made everyone hyperbolic shitposting idiots yet admittedly was botched on release. But Rome 2's patches shows CA listens to the internet and will prob approach Attila with more accountability. I'll judge the game when its out not rant about a company's ethics over a buggy overhyped rushed release a couple years ago that they've ended up fixing and I now regularly enjoy.

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Gallonigher
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 08:04:17 pm »
When did become even remotely acceptable for any purchased-product to be unusable at release on the thin promise of patches or after market changes? Why in gods name anyone would ever buy anything produced by SEGA or CA while they continue that kind of shoddy business practice is fucked.

Uh... I'm not sure if you've noticed but every game publisher/developer is doing this; not just SEGA and CA.  It really sucks but if I refused to support any shady practices stemming from this business, I'd have like no games to play.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 08:12:15 pm »
Uh... I'm not sure if you've noticed but every game publisher/developer is doing this; not just SEGA and CA.  It really sucks but if I refused to support any shady practices stemming from this business, I'd have like no games to play.

Main reason why I buy maybe five or so games a year, and pirate the rest.  Why should I reward bad business practices?

Hopefully CA gets their shit together, but I doubt it.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 08:25:36 pm »
+1
Nope. Just a few of the biggest, gayest ones that push out copy+paste games out every year.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.