Poll

What forum title Tydeus deserves ? By now he should proudly wear one.

Modcrusher
48 (38.4%)
Patchbreaker
20 (16%)
Valourchopper
31 (24.8%)
Balancepounder
26 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Voting closed: August 27, 2014, 01:15:15 am

Author Topic: I love Tyedus  (Read 7479 times)

Offline Battlepriest

• Scene Manager
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • hi how are you doing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: hesse
  • Game nicks: hesse_judie, skot_judas
  • IRC nick: sweet potato
Re: I love Tyedus
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 07:18:56 am »
+6
tydeus is a big poopyhead becus he no like donkeys with plaste armor

Offline Macbeth3

• Earl
  • Renown: 379
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Meow? :3
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macbeth_Plisskin_TheCat Mordecai_Heller_TheCat
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 07:47:53 am »
Yea what Tanken said, hybrids are rare now on the battlefield. On NA 1 it seems like a lot of people have gone pure melee build, which most of them going polearm.

I am a Hybrid :c

*Meow* =3
*Meow* I'm a Cat.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Simon_Belmont

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Belmonts and many Warhammer refferencing names
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 12:12:44 pm »

Not enough american flags and japs bombarding civilians. Good enough tho 6/10.
You didn't read the fine print on the description of the HA skill. By using ranged on horse you willingly give up your right to empathy, for good reason.
I'm gone for a few months due to work and classes, hoping the mod isn't dead when I come back. Take care, all of you.

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 01:53:07 pm »
+1

*Meow* =3

Shoo! go away *squirt with water*

you are a minority

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 04:11:48 pm »
Yea what Tanken said, hybrids are rare now on the battlefield. On NA 1 it seems like a lot of people have gone pure melee build, which most of them going polearm.
I'm not sure they're as rare as people think, especially considering there has never once before been more reason to hybrid melee + melee, than post wpf rework. I won't bother arguing the point (although I could) because I think the real issue is in a way, a matter of philosophy, or differences in what we think "balance" should look like. Another way to put it, is that the target of what we aim for, might not be what you personally think we should have as our goal. There are not only different methods of balancing, there are also different types/goals.

I don't think a public conversation has been had between the community and the devs on what the focus should be, on what type of balance players want (although minor ideas are hinted at here and there in the balance section). We do however have conversations on this subject between the devs, balancers and admins in IRC, though. That being said, we could use some more Item Advisors (particularly from eu.)

http://forum.melee.org/general-discussion/%28applications%29-item-balancers/

If you've posted in the past, you should post again to show interest.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Combaticus

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Gay Pride Worldwide
  • Game nicks: Combaticus, Big_Gay_Baby, BOOM_SHAKA_LAKA
  • IRC nick: Combat
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 04:32:49 pm »
+2
I'm not sure they're as rare as people think, especially considering there has never once before been more reason to hybrid melee + melee, than post wpf rework. I won't bother arguing the point (although I could) because I think the real issue is in a way, a matter of philosophy, or differences in what we think "balance" should look like. Another way to put it, is that the target of what we aim for, might not be what you personally think we should have as our goal. There are not only different methods of balancing, there are also different types/goals.

I don't think a public conversation has been had between the community and the devs on what the focus should be, on what type of balance players want (although minor ideas are hinted at here and there in the balance section). We do however have conversations on this subject between the devs, balancers and admins in IRC, though. That being said, we could use some more Item Advisors (particularly from eu.)

I'm not sure you can call it diversity when you have the same build but can now pick up a polearm! The wpf changes turned this mod into Skyrim where everyone can be anything they want! (agi, spammy, 2fast4u).

You can't deny that you haven't seen the true diversity that the mod originally intended when it was viable to go all str or agi with a limited penalty. It is what made this mod fun... Being able to come up with any build and see if it worked out there. Now you seriously bent over if you don't have some form of agility. Diversity was lost after the wpf changes, and I'm sure the community agrees.

If you plan on changing the mod for the better at least make crossbows require pd or something... I'm getting tired of seeing anyone being able to pick up a crossbow and be a pro at it without having to invest anything to do it.

You should also gauge the community on any crazy rebalances you are thinking of implementing. I still can't get over how you completely changed the game after the wpf changes... Too big of a change bro... We lost a big chunk of the community after that in NA1. I'm curious to see what pop lvls looked like on average the month before wpf changes and now.

Oh well... Mods Dead anyway

RIP Homies:
Leman
Bucket of Basket
Krosis

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 05:18:13 pm »
+2
I don't really play anymore because I got bored and get better melee action in counterstrike but I think its fair for me to say that tydeus is doing everything wrong because 12\24 agi shield build with blue gambeson, huscarl shield and long espada is not stupidly op like it should be!

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 07:21:47 pm »
+1

When I think of balance, I think of a diversity of unique builds that each have their own strong points. Each player would be able to contribute to their team in their own way.

However, when I see mostly people with melee polearm builds because at the moment they are stronger and better than the other weapons available, this seems unbalanced to me.

As for the communicating between the player base and devs...what about the suggestions thread page for? Wouldnt that be a great place to look and see what the community wants changed or kept the same?

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 07:29:25 pm »
+1
applying to be an item balancer now

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 07:35:37 pm »
+5

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Combaticus

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Gay Pride Worldwide
  • Game nicks: Combaticus, Big_Gay_Baby, BOOM_SHAKA_LAKA
  • IRC nick: Combat
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2014, 09:56:45 pm »

This would please me

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 03:12:57 am »
+2
(click to show/hide)

I'm not sure you can call it diversity when you have the same build but can now pick up a polearm! The wpf changes turned this mod into Skyrim where everyone can be anything they want! (agi, spammy, 2fast4u).

You can't deny that you haven't seen the true diversity that the mod originally intended when it was viable to go all str or agi with a limited penalty. It is what made this mod fun... Being able to come up with any build and see if it worked out there. Now you seriously bent over if you don't have some form of agility. Diversity was lost after the wpf changes, and I'm sure the community agrees.
Considering the fact that I would need a whole separate character to go from 2h to pole, yes, that's variety. More than that though, it was a way to incentivize, however small, full melee builds (to reduce the number of ranged, without directly nerfing the potency of their builds). I find it amusing that you claim a lessening of variety while making the statement "everyone can be anything they want!" The two ideas are without a doubt, incompatible; they're contradictions.

You say "all str or agi" but you couldn't go full agi (at least not without 13 shield skill). Full agi builds were complete garbage, while full str was among the best and most effective builds, in any setting. Also worth mention, is that you stated "with limited penalty," which necessarily implies an imbalance. If there is something to be gained by adding strength, which undoubtedly there is (and certainly was more to be gained than adding agi), then you have to lose something to sustain balance.

Furthermore, this experimentation and fun from the unknown, can only last as long as one remains ignorant of the mechanics that make up the system as a whole. So it then follows that the longer you play, even if things remain unchanged (especially when they do), the less you will naturally be able to experiment with and find enjoyment from.

You should also gauge the community on any crazy rebalances you are thinking of implementing. I still can't get over how you completely changed the game after the wpf changes... Too big of a change bro... We lost a big chunk of the community after that in NA1. I'm curious to see what pop lvls looked like on average the month before wpf changes and now.
When I think of balance, I think of a diversity of unique builds that each have their own strong points. Each player would be able to contribute to their team in their own way.

However, when I see mostly people with melee polearm builds because at the moment they are stronger and better than the other weapons available, this seems unbalanced to me.

As for the communicating between the player base and devs...what about the suggestions thread page for? Wouldnt that be a great place to look and see what the community wants changed or kept the same?
So like this...
http://forum.melee.org/general-discussion/wpp-sum-and-cost-formula-rework%28includes-wm%29/msg891170/#msg891170
http://forum.melee.org/general-discussion/possible-polearm-overhead-sweetspot-fix/msg832246/#msg832246
http://forum.melee.org/general-discussion/new-mechanic-dodge/msg817336/#msg817336

I like to think that for all the major changes, we have talked with the community about it. Even if you didn't/don't agree with the changes, the truth of the matter is that the vast majority do, or at least did at the time of implementation. In the case of the wpf change, I offered as much as I could to inform the players about what the actual changes would look like. I even provided the formulas so that currently used damage/character builders could be updated or altered so that the community could test things.

I don't think I've ever said balance is perfect, or that polearms are perfectly balanced with 2h or poles (although I'm not quite ready to say I agree, at least not that it's anything more than a select few polearm weapons, not the class.) But having a 55/45 split poles to 2h is certainly better than the previous 80/20, especially when you look at the EU meta, where they have always favored 2h more than NA. You can't forget that we have to balance for both EU and NA, and that the meta isn't identical and actually has a few key differences.

As to the actual definition of "balance" sure that sounds reasonable enough, but where are you drawing the lines? One sentence isn't concise enough to properly outline what balance should look like. The WPP/WPF change was a major change where we said "no, you can't have your cake and eat it" there have to be trade-offs for every build (much like the advent of the upkeep system, as well as the slot system). Yes we want each build to have its own strong points, but as you reach the extremes, those strong points get better and better, thus your weaknesses need to properly reflect that increase in potential that you've just obtained. This is an essential part of the balance philosophy that many people don't seem to agree with. Some people are DotA people, others are League people(Fuck LoL).

The suggestion/discussion sections allow us to see individual wishes/ideas, but they don't say much about the overall balance philosophy or goal, because so many player's opinions vary; each suggestion has a different balance objective in mind. Most suggestions on their own are fine, but when put into the crpg setting or when the effects are considered, wouldn't coincide with the balance objective we have in mind(still, it's not like there's a cRPG Mission Statement, so there is certainly some ambiguity).

tldr; You don't get a fucking tldr version.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:16:02 am by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Larry

• Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dragoni of Valahia
  • Game nicks: Larry The Magical Cheetah | Brick Cavity | Cheetah On Rollerblades | Maximillian Schmeling, and more
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 07:14:10 am »

*Meow* =3

I roleplay on a sci fi themed space prison in second life as a shemale cheetah prison guard and I'm pretty sure I'm less of a bundle of sticks than you are.
Among my many achievements are as follows; I once convinced a carton of cigarettes to abandon it's dreams of space travel, have conjured a hat out of a rabbit, may have, on more than one occasion, had sexual relations in stable earth orbit, and dominated fully over several small african nations, whom I then forced to fight in gladiatorial combat with cucumbers whilst wearing miniskirts.

Offline Macbeth3

• Earl
  • Renown: 379
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Meow? :3
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macbeth_Plisskin_TheCat Mordecai_Heller_TheCat
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 10:50:37 am »
I roleplay on a sci fi themed space prison in second life as a shemale cheetah prison guard and I'm pretty sure I'm less of a bundle of sticks than you are.

Good for you. I hope you have fun because that's all that matters :)
*Meow* I'm a Cat.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 01:41:21 pm »

Second Life? Me too! That's where I make my income.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.