Author Topic: Weight of swords...  (Read 13842 times)

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
Re: Weight of swords...
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2011, 01:44:14 am »
Yeah: visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=DT2105

I purchased it at http://www.albion-swords.com/ and had them wheel/grind sharpen it, and build a scabbard for it, but looks like theyve gone into selling exclusively their own line now, I bought it about 6-7 years ago, and they were just moving towards this when I did. I would however highly recommend them, as thier service is great, and they are swordsmiths, not just sword sellers. If I purchased another blade, I would have to do my homework first, but I'd defenitely be looking at thier products.

To be quite honest, for practicality, I'd rather have yours.  I bought mine because of my heritage, but, if I were buying a practical blade, I'd go something like what you already have. And, I might add, there are more choices out there now, than when I bought mine.  Regardless of anything else though, you can be confident that a Del Tin, regardless of your opinion of them, is a consistent quality well built product, whether the particular model is balanced, or weight accurate, is a whole other question, ya just gotta search the reviews.

I learned quite a bit more about swords, AFTER i purchased this one. I kinda figured though, i might as well get something cool looking, because I wasnt looking for a sparring blade, and the chances of me getting into an extended battle with other people with sharpened blades, was probably pretty unlikely.  :lol: I had an edge put on it, and also purchased a hand made scabbard for it as well (beautifull job - the wood was water formed around my blade, lined with rabbit fur, and then stiched into an accurate cut leather cover, and outfitted with a simple brass 'tip cup') that I embellished a bit myself, that was made by the guys at Albion after they imported the sword from Del Tin, and sent along with the blade to me, all nicely packaged.

Del Tin, takes alot of flack for making some swords that are sometimes a bit heavier than they should be. (And that's very debatable - whether you want something historically accurate, or perfect to handle, may be 2 completely different catagories) And, on the other hand, some of their models are very hard to beat for the price.You just gotta research the individual model your thinking about. But this model in particular is lighter than some of their other viking models, (which I noticed when pondering the purchase) and well, pretty. Not only that, but there is no question on quality. I went with it, pretty much based on the price, and thier reputation for consistent quality. I didnt mind the brass guard, because, well its rather nice looking, and I doubt I'll be blocking any Steal blades with it anytime soon - plus, on viking swords, the guards bieng so small, they seem to me more of an afterthought or a balancer than an actual guard.

I did some research before buying it, and it seems to have a roughly historically accurate weight, even if 'historically accurate' doesnt mean ideal for use hehehe. - Dont get me wrong, its balanced alright, its just better for someone bigger and stronger than me, or someone that has the patience to work up to its heft.  More me making the wrong choice, than it bieng a bad sword.

If I were to do it all over, I probably would have went with a shorter blade from one of the newer companies, who make more practical blades like your own, or started to think about buying a hand made blade in the 1000+ range.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:42:35 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2011, 01:54:46 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

First sword I bought, its wall hanger, sure, but its a nice souvenir from a trip, I didnt knew shit about swords back then.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2011, 02:11:00 am »
Yeah, I've seen that blade I think before, in a cutlery store? I think before I got into research, I may have even thought about buying that one myself. Its a nice lookin piece.

Dont get me wrong about my Del-tin though, its pretty like a wall hanger, but, is a pretty damned good performer.  My brother who is 6' 1" and a big guy handles it quite a bit better than I do. I think I just chose the wrong 'practical' blade for myself, but in the right hands its as solid as almost anything out there. viking swords by their very nature, unless one of the shorter types, are unwieldy to an extent by their very nature.

The blade is quite nice, and the fittings are tight and of superior quality.  Its a full tang - non of that rat-tail crap, or welded screw, the pommel is actual peened on. The balance is pretty nice,  like I said, I think it has that 'wall hanger apeal' but also in the right hands, performs like the real thing.

And the brass guard, actually, is not totally historically inacurrate - like i said viking sword guards are more of a 'balancer' than a catching guard.  I think bronze is more accurate than brass though. -edit:- apparently the guard IS bronze, and the original description was wrong, so all the better! -This makes me actually feel much better about my sword :)

I just think for me, and my body type, a shorter or more tapered blade, would be more practical.

When I get some more free time, i'll see if I can dig up some posts on some of the better companies I've seen out there for blades - gotta get back to work   :lol:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:39:08 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2011, 02:20:09 am »
I changed the picture link to my sword, the first one didnt do it justice, I guess you can still get the Del tins at Cult of Athena - the place that Anwyl mentioned - nice site!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:37:40 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2011, 02:22:09 am »
I got my own whetstone here but I asked Reliks to get my sword sharpened.
But there are some flaws on it, the metal that compose the pommel and the guard is crappy, rust too much despite the oil I apply :/
The sheath is full leather, it will ruin the blade if I leave the sword in it, got some nice wall fixing for the sword tho, so I got the storage part covered.

Offline Anwyl

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
  • I liked cool avatars before they went mainstream.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Coy
  • IRC nick: Coy
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2011, 02:24:29 am »
Hanwai makes very affordable swords that preform pretty well, and Albions are definitely one of the most high class sword makers around, at least now-a-days. I use Kult of Athena for most of my weapon shopping as it is generally the lowest prices I've seen. Though always make sure to check a couple sources first before buying to make sure you get the best deal.

http://www.kultofathena.com/

If you're looking for weapons that will stand up to actual combat conditions (and even above combat conditions) I suggest looking at "stage combat" blades, they will be a bit meatier than the real thing, but they are built for sparring/durability.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2011, 02:26:27 am »
Apparently I got lucky with my choice, thats one of the higher quality sword made by Windlass.

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2011, 04:18:05 am »
Yeah, Windlass has gotten a bad reputation at times, but over the years, I've heard several of their models are actually quite good. And I've heard some horror stories, but my bet is they've improved since I was last shopping.  In the end though, You generally get what you pay for.

Truth be known, I have a feeling that some of the modern makers, probably make better blades than the originals hehehe.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:25:43 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2011, 08:40:08 am »
For anyone specifically interested in VIKING swords,  this is a great site on various aspects of combat etc: (just found this recently)

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_sword.htm

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/the_shape_of_viking_combat.htm

http://www.hurstwic.org/viking/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:46:29 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2011, 10:50:05 am »
vingnir, you made some good points there, but i have something to add.
there are no "better swords" there are just "best" swords (it would be more proper to say weapon here)
what i mean... if vikings even knew better ways of forging and everything, they would make very same swords they made. against popular myth, there was no mass production. nobleman (or some very powerful warrior) would come to smith and say: "i want sword this long and it will look like this and it's gonna weight this. here you money enough to eat whole year, now get on work!". sword had it's purpose and it's owner had certain fighting style. if vikings knew how to make tapered sword, they possibly wouldn't make them tapered because it would "cramp their style".

in spoiler is my own experience which would more closely describe my opinion, so if you're interested - click
(click to show/hide)

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2011, 06:24:58 pm »
I am not getting any sword for a while since I am broke as fuck and University began few weeks ago. Besides, I'd rather get a book about the combat technique with an arming sword rather anythign else.

Offline Anwyl

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
  • I liked cool avatars before they went mainstream.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Coy
  • IRC nick: Coy
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2011, 07:13:18 pm »
I am not getting any sword for a while since I am broke as fuck and University began few weeks ago. Besides, I'd rather get a book about the combat technique with an arming sword rather anythign else.

If you just look for the I.33 Manual online I'm sure you can fine a free translation. That would give you a pretty accurate idea. The I.33 manual is a 13th century manual on sword and buckler technique and as far as I know the oldest western combat manual that has been found.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2011, 07:23:00 pm »
Oh snap, I need a buckler now.
Thank you Anwyl, I'll check it out.

Edit: might as well link it for everyone http://freywild.ch/i33/i33en.html
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:24:57 pm by Bobthehero »