Author Topic: Weight of swords...  (Read 13848 times)

Offline Apostata

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_John_Applebottom
Re: Weight of swords...
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 11:26:34 am »
No real greatsword weighed more then 8 lbs if used for combative purposes and not ceremonial. rarely did any two handed word exceed 6 lbs and rarely did any one handed exceed 2.

Most people do not have the right muscles built up, and since the swords are so long, it feels heavier then they are.

+1
Same problem as with rifles. Swords have not always have been balanced properly aswell. At least most quantity of archeological evidence in Czech Republic shows swords with centre of its weight near the pommen
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:37:56 am by Apostata »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2011, 04:12:05 pm »
Lol I was at a knife shop the other day and saw a greatsword off in a corner so I went and picked it up.
Display one of course, that thing weighed way more than a real one would. Way too thick for no reason, but it wasn't made for combat ofc. It probably weighed 9 pounds.
Wish there was a legit ~5 pound one there I could have enjoyed.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:13:48 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Dunecat

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • h+
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jaer_Selorn
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 10:07:46 am »
Well you almsot seemed convincing except you said chainmail.... rpg +1, historical correctness -1.

Apart from that, yes, a plate armor (not mail!) is very flexible and the weight is distributed so well, that you can do gymnastics in it.

However Mailles (what you call chainmail) is very heavy and all the weight is centered on the shoulders. A lot used a belt to make better weight distribution.

A plate armor is in every way more effective than maile or hauberk, but is also about 100 to 200 years younger.
I've seen people doing gymnastics in lamellar scale armour, which, I assure you, is heavier than maile, yet quite usable even by 14 years old person I was at that point.
In memory of Jaer_Selorn, member of Str, ruler of Pagundur

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 03:52:36 pm »
I went to a Ren fair a while back and I tried to swing a great sword and that muther musta wight ATLEAST 20 lbs!

Yeah...that wasn't a real sword then.  Probably intended for decorative purposes...probably made out of stainless steel.  Such a sword is not fit for combat.

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 03:49:47 pm »
my longsword is 2,2 kg
128 cm (blade 100 cm x 4,8 cm tapering toward point to 2,8 cm)
i have 52 kg now and i am not very strong, but i can wield it without problems.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 04:36:20 pm »
The problem is not to wield it a few minutes, but a couple of hours.

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 05:36:36 pm »
we usually have training for about 2-3 hrs.

when on tourney, after 3 rounds of battle (5vs5) which are less than 10 mins, we do not puff

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 02:33:36 am »
http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html

thats all about 2handed swords, and yes contrary to forum belief they could hack pike shafts as they did (omg what wood is weaker than steel NO WAI)

taken from that article-

"The Italian humanist historian Paulus Jovius writing in the early 1500s also described the two-hand great sword as being used by Swiss soldiers to chop the shafts of pikes at the battle of Fornovo in 1495"

"The fighting two-handed sword, weighed (on average) between 5-7 lbs. I give the following three examples, randomly chosen from our own collections, which I hope are adequate to make the point:

Two-handed sword, German, c.1550 (IX.926). Weight: 7 lb 6oz.

Two-handed sword, German, dated 1529 (IX.991). Weight: 5 lb 1oz.

Two-handed sword, Scottish, mid 16th century, (IX.926). Weight: 5 lb 10oz.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:35:02 am by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline deathbringer521

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Black guard
  • Game nicks: BG_MarkusMilo, BG_MiloMarkus
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 09:46:32 am »
alot of 2 handers (not hand and a half) were taller or as tall as the person wielding them (example: the sword used by William Wallace, and the flamberge). even so they did not weigh that much (10 - 20 pounds). in one of your sources they declare the swords are "Medieval Swords are neither unwieldably heavy..." : / well they weren't heavy or unwieldable but they wouldnt have been your first choice for a dueling weapon, it is also good to note that this source is referring to short swords more than half the time (short swords are maybe 5 inches longer than your average butter knife and for close combat only).
..                 /|
                  / |              /| fuuuuuuu i cant finish it
{:]EEEEEEE|  |XXXXXX|_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_>
                  \ |              \|

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 09:52:01 am »
alot of 2 handers (not hand and a half) were taller or as tall as the person wielding them (example: the sword used by William Wallace, and the flamberge). even so they did not weigh that much (10 - 20 pounds). in one of your sources they declare the swords are "Medieval Swords are neither unwieldably heavy..." : / well they weren't heavy or unwieldable but they wouldnt have been your first choice for a dueling weapon, it is also good to note that this source is referring to short swords more than half the time (short swords are maybe 5 inches longer than your average butter knife and for close combat only).

Wat? What sword weighed ten to twenty pounds?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 06:40:02 pm »
My arming sword is 39 1/2 inches long, it weight 3lbs.

Longswords would be longer by a few inches but far more thinner, which give them about the same weight as my sword.

Ceremonial sword could weight a fuckton, but who cares, they werent battle swords.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Anwyl

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
  • I liked cool avatars before they went mainstream.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Coy
  • IRC nick: Coy
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 11:59:34 pm »
I have a 119.4 cm (47 inches for you Americans) Hanwei Tinker Longsword that weighs about 1.3 kg (2 pounds 13 ounces).

Not heavy at all considering the point of balance is 8.25 cm (3 and 1/4 inch) down the blade. Furthermore, I can swing it as fast, if not faster than a single handed sword, and even with my scrawny muscles, I've done cut tests that have gone through like butter.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2011, 02:05:17 am »
I have a 119.4 cm (47 inches for you Americans) Hanwei Tinker Longsword that weighs about 1.3 kg (2 pounds 13 ounces).

Not heavy at all considering the point of balance is 8.25 cm (3 and 1/4 inch) down the blade. Furthermore, I can swing it as fast, if not faster than a single handed sword, and even with my scrawny muscles, I've done cut tests that have gone through like butter.
Yeah, 2handed weapons are actually quite fast. Even faster is spears and the like (since you hold them further in the middle and stuff). One handed weapons weren't that fast to swing really, their strength was in being able to block and attack at the same time. Not necessarily with what you'd expect. (Blocking with shield, striking with sword. Then suddenly parrying with the sword and shieldbashing, taking away the balance of the enemy). Sadly we can't have that in this game, but one can always hope a game will come with it.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2011, 09:46:47 am »
i think that shieldbash could be done (kicking animation change to bashing)

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2011, 10:37:34 am »
i think that shieldbash could be done (kicking animation change to bashing)
It was done already in another mod