Author Topic: Question for the other map makers.  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
Question for the other map makers.
« on: December 16, 2013, 10:26:15 pm »
So, know any solution to this problem?
(click to show/hide)

Shadows suddenly cut off along some coordinates. Don't know if there is any way to fix this. Or if there is a way to force weather (time of day, skybox) without editing the python codes (cause, obviously, I can't. Heck, I don't even know if Fips can). Any ideas, or is my entire map screwed?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
Re: Question for the other map makers.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:18 pm »
give us a download link, ill check if that happens in my module too.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:59:06 pm »
Okay, here's the .sco and scenes.txt files.

http://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade/mods/5900/?

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:35:17 pm »
Are you talking about the shadows that occur when you change the ground or remove a scene prop? In that case, just re-open the map. Those shadows will be gone.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 11:45:23 pm »
Are you talking about the shadows that occur when you change the ground or remove a scene prop? In that case, just re-open the map. Those shadows will be gone.

Yes, and no. I am talking about those shadows, but after a certain number of props or something, certain areas of the map become unable to support shadows. Thus those straight lines cutting off the shadows.

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 03:31:45 pm »
It seems i forgot how to open a downloaded map lol, i cant seem to find the map in the list of scenes on my module. Do have have to replace the .sco file with an existing one? Or do i just add to the scenes folder? It didnt work for me.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 09:17:42 pm »
It seems i forgot how to open a downloaded map lol, i cant seem to find the map in the list of scenes on my module. Do have have to replace the .sco file with an existing one? Or do i just add to the scenes folder? It didnt work for me.

Okay, you must add the .sco file to the SceneObj folder, and add the code from the scenes.txt file in the zip folder, to the scenes.txt file in your module. You could create a backup of an existing file, and rename the downloaded .sco file to the existing file. You would then need to find the corresponding code in your module's scenes.txt and make sure the terrain code is the same as what you downloaded. Otherwise the terrain will not match.

Offline Makelele

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 10:34:13 pm »
+3
Bumping this in the vain hope that someone has solved this shadow issue or at least knows what might be causing it.

I can't seem to figure out what is causing it, maybe it is indeed coordinate related, i.e. meshes located at certain coordinates stop producing shadows, or perhaps it is connected to the amount of objects in the scene. Graphical settings don't seem to have any effect on this. I'm clueless, any help is much appreciated.

In the picture you will notice that some of the roofs are not casting shadows.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Casul

• King
  • Renown: 1010
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • I like animals
    • View Profile
  • Faction: plate goons club, Krems
  • Game nicks: Cassi, Antarctica
  • IRC nick: Cassi
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 11:12:10 pm »
Bumping this in the vain hope that someone has solved this shadow issue or at least knows what might be causing it.

I can't seem to figure out what is causing it, maybe it is indeed coordinate related, i.e. meshes located at certain coordinates stop producing shadows, or perhaps it is connected to the amount of objects in the scene. Graphical settings don't seem to have any effect on this. I'm clueless, any help is much appreciated.

In the picture you will notice that some of the roofs are not casting shadows.
(click to show/hide)

Add a chandelier to the centre ceiling. ez fixing.
Maybe if Coronoa virus gets rid of 50 percent or more of the world population we can do without a pope and religion.

Offline Makelele

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 01:12:12 am »
+1
Add a chandelier to the centre ceiling. ez fixing.
If only life would be an old hollywood swashbuckler movie a well placed chandelier would solve all problems :)

So it seems like this bug is related to both coordinates,height AND lighting. The amount of meshes seems irrelevant, since the problem appears even with just 9 objects in a scene.

From a brief test, I noticed shadows started to fail from objects placed at around 25 height first from mid-day lighting. Both the night and dawn/dusk-lighting seem to still cast shadows normally at this height, but an object placed well over 25 in Z-axis will eventually fail to cast a shadow even at these lightings. It also seemed raising the ground under the object had no effect, so it's not a matter of actual distance to ground, but a matter of distance to magical Z=0 waterline. Also not sure if Crpg servers use only 3 light source positions per day, or how having more would affect this, but safe to say that if you place an object at around Z=25.0 height or more, the shadow will eventually bug out.

More bizarrely, the objects placement along the X-axis will also affect this bug. In my test (otherwise identical) objects that had a lower x-axis position started to lose their shadows first as I raised their heights.

In this picture 9 tables are all at height 20 (Z=20.0) and are casting their shadows as expected.
(click to show/hide)

In this picture the tables are at height 30, and the ones with lower X-axis values have started to bug.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Hellsing

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 12:38:51 pm »
So you could use scene probs with invisible groundings (not sure if works with the rage ball - never played it so no idea how much up the ball can actually fly.
My suggestion is you should try out with snow_heap_a and make it's height 0.2, length and width you have to try out, also if its visible from some angles. I just made you 3 screens showing what I mean.
(click to show/hide)

Maybe this can help you..