Poll

What do you think?

Approved
Not Approved
Approved With Variations (see my reply)

Author Topic: All one handed axes are trash  (Read 5742 times)

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
Re: All one handed axes are trash
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 06:23:43 pm »
Also, 1h is garbage damage compared to 2h and pole arm. I don't know why I gotta hit a guys shield 7 times with a 40 cut axe and a pole arm does it in 2.  The axe bonus on one hand isn't worth it at all
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: ~
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 06:51:01 pm »
+2
Against medium and light armor, sure. High-end armor? I'm sure you got a lot of glance hits.
I use an unloomed Espada (25 cut) with 4 or 5 ps depending on what build I'm using, I barely ever glance my swings without it clearly being my fault, admittedly on heavier armors all my hits besides my stabs or headshots make that sound weapons make when they stun but deal next to no damage.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 07:28:54 pm »
High damage and Bonus against Shield is all axes need.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 08:40:38 pm »
+4
1h cut weapons just need +2 damage. After 33 or so cut, that's around the lowest for it to be reasonably useful. I would also go so far as to raise all cut damage by 1 and reduce +3 bonus to only increase damage by 2 so that 1h unloomed weapons are a little better. The average armor among melee is so high that the low base cut is more of a disadvantage than it should be.

The one handed axe is pretty weak, but it's only 1.5k. Barely any other weapons around there reach 30 cut. I think that it's internally balanced and only needs a slight tweak at most, but it's just that the entire cut group needs to be adjusted.

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 05:03:15 am »
+1
1h cut weapons just need +2 damage. After 33 or so cut, that's around the lowest for it to be reasonably useful. I would also go so far as to raise all cut damage by 1 and reduce +3 bonus to only increase damage by 2 so that 1h unloomed weapons are a little better. The average armor among melee is so high that the low base cut is more of a disadvantage than it should be.

The one handed axe is pretty weak, but it's only 1.5k. Barely any other weapons around there reach 30 cut. I think that it's internally balanced and only needs a slight tweak at most, but it's just that the entire cut group needs to be adjusted.

I agree with this, it would make it more balanced, but it still doesn't change the fact that there is so little variety between the one-handers.

On a side note: the new patch (3.0.0.4 or whatever) buffed swords, further removing the usefulness from axes. Just putting that out there.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:06:49 am by Palurgee »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 08:24:54 am »
I agree with this, it would make it more balanced, but it still doesn't change the fact that there is so little variety between the one-handers.

On a side note: the new patch (3.0.0.4 or whatever) buffed swords, further removing the usefulness from axes. Just putting that out there.
The new patch did not decrease the usefulness of axes, it just made them comparatively less appealing compared to swords; if you only take into account they changed the 1h thrust attack. The right swing is also changed now, which is a clear advantage to short onehanders mostly; which include axes.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 05:15:43 pm »
+1
What everyone seems to forget is that one handed weapons are balanced around the idea that you're bringing a shield, vastly increasing your chances of survival dramatically. Shielders are a more defensive class - more of a counter puncher - and are balanced around the idea that you are bringing a shield. If one handers had the same killing power as polearms and two handed weapons why be anything but a shielder? If we started balancing one handers directly against polearms and two handed weapons then shields would have to be dramatically reduced in effectiveness to compensate, and that would just kill the entire point of bringing a shield to begin with.

My gripe with one handed axes, and any short one hander for that matter, is that you have to get in so close to land any hit that's not a right swing (which are unreliable in my opinion). When you get that close it becomes to easy to get kicked, or (my favourite) have some agility stacking cunt just s key and right swing.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 05:46:58 pm »
No, with a couple of points invested into athletics and power strike, bouncing is either lag-related or your own fault (bad footwork, bad timing).
I use an unloomed Espada (25 cut) with 4 or 5 ps depending on what build I'm using, I barely ever glance my swings without it clearly being my fault, admittedly on heavier armors all my hits besides my stabs or headshots make that sound weapons make when they stun but deal next to no damage.

Against plated armors with 9 PS, 160 wpf mw nordic champ glances quite a lot even when I make okay - maybe not perfect but at least okay - swing. And in strat battles sometimes there's no place for proper footwork.

1h cut weapons just need +2 damage.

I don't think 1h as a whole needs another - after receiving new stab animation which is clear buff and not a minor one - buff.

I would also go so far as to raise all cut damage by 1 and reduce +3 bonus to only increase damage by 2 so that 1h unloomed weapons are a little better.

+1 Whole mode should go in this direction, making looms less important.

it still doesn't change the fact that there is so little variety between the one-handers.

Eh? I'd say 1h inventory is more diverisfied than 2h.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 05:51:54 pm »
I think you guys are forgetting one important fact here. 1h weapons where never ment to be as primary weapons to begin with. Just look at them from native, they arent even worth scratching your own arse with, let alone be used as descent weapons against poles and 2h. Crpg did 1h fuckton of justice and made it primary. Be happy with what you already got.

And these axes are ofcourse more weaker then the 1h blades. I mean they are shieldbreakers. They are situational weapons. The blades indeed jack of all trades. But you would be bashing a shielder forever with em. Get some 1h axe and the enemy shield turns into butter.

Ive been using 1hs for quite a while now and I must say they are pretty damn viable weapons. Sure I think I would do 2 times better with a greatsword, but 1h is hella more fun.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 06:08:49 pm »
I think you guys are forgetting one important fact here. 1h weapons where never ment to be as primary weapons to begin with. Just look at them from native, they arent even worth scratching your own arse with, let alone be used as descent weapons against poles and 2h. Crpg did 1h fuckton of justice and made it primary. Be happy with what you already got.

And these axes are ofcourse more weaker then the 1h blades. I mean they are shieldbreakers. They are situational weapons. The blades indeed jack of all trades. But you would be bashing a shielder forever with em. Get some 1h axe and the enemy shield turns into butter.

Ive been using 1hs for quite a while now and I must say they are pretty damn viable weapons. Sure I think I would do 2 times better with a greatsword, but 1h is hella more fun.

I dont know where the hell you were playing native but nearly everyone is 1h/shield in battle :D
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 06:22:23 pm »
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with your broad axe and scimitar example. Reason being is that the axe has a secondary mode in which it deals a very nice pierce attack which is great against armor. Some of the lower axes yeah they suck but that's just what happens with lower quality items since they're cheap.

But the broad one handed battle axe is an amazing weapon even vs the elite scimitar example (although I fucking hate the scimitar. Cheap weapon overall). But the axe does a very nice cut damage at 35 then does 28p on secondary. That's almost as good as the military pick (military pick has 29p) but the broad battle axe has 3 more length and the same speed as the military pick.

I think your problem is with the cheaper axes more so than all of them. Actually probably just all axes below the broad one handed battle axe really which is almost all of them.

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 07:41:21 pm »
Eh? I'd say 1h inventory is more diverisfied than 2h.

Going to quote myself on this one:

Also, there is very little variety in the one-handed section. Lets try to find the most varied one-handed weapons out there. Provided the weapons we compare have a gold value above 1.5k, this is probably what you'll find:

~35 difference in length
~5 difference in damage
a different damage type
~3 difference in speed
bonus versus shields
knockdown
secondary mode
~2 difference in weight

On the other hand(s), take the two most different double-handed weapons. Provided they are above a 1.5k gold value, this is probably what differences you'll find:

~120 difference in length
~25 difference in damage
a different damage type
~30 difference in speed
bonus versus shields
unbalanced
crushthrough
knockdown
can't use on horseback
~8 difference in weight
secondary mode
cannot be sheathed

In short, one-handed weapons are shitty and similar compared to polearms and two-handers.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 08:26:59 pm »

I dont know where the hell you were playing native but nearly everyone is 1h/shield in battle :D
Times have changed? Last time I played native the ratio was 80% team ranged on both sides. And I was all like fuck this shit.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 12:17:56 am »
Times have changed? Last time I played native the ratio was 80% team ranged on both sides. And I was all like fuck this shit.

Native battles have a shit-ton of ranged, that is true, but a lot of it are from shielders spamming javs.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 05:02:15 pm »
+1
The broad one handed battle axe is a beast. The thing about axes is you can break shields, they are fast, they deal a lot of damage, and they can be cheap upkeep.

I think you are overlooking this weapons niche.