Author Topic: AGE OF EMPIRES II HD  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: AGE OF EMPIRES II HD
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 05:21:02 pm »
lol, HD remake, this and that, charging good $ again for a game released.

And there is no "no-rush" Implemented?

:)
You start off with villagers you can send into a towncenter if attacked, no-rush is in most strategy games a horrible feature purely implemented to let people focus 100% on the aspect of an economy and in no way try to defend themselves.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 04:00:00 am »
no-rush is in most strategy games a horrible feature purely implemented to let people focus 100% on the aspect of an economy and in no way try to defend themselves.

It's a good feature IF you can train an army while in no rush time.

I believe in Stronghold Crusader, you can't, while in let's say.. Rise of Nations (much more interesting game than AoE II), you could train and get an army going. So you can smash an enemy who was stupid enough not to defend himself.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 04:06:01 am »
+1
no rush games are very boring and destroys pretty much all the balance. its good to not mess with balance if these games are ranked.

anyway just got the 4 pack with some friends. does seem laggy and unfinished tho.

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 04:08:39 am »
+3
No "move&attack" button
Still can't select more than 20 units at once
Only HD, extended unit cap & new resource icons  :?
As much as I adore AoE II, I'm not paying fucking 17€ for a HD remake.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 10:27:14 am »
In all fairness I saw someone comment that the original still sells in walmart for $10. So paying $17 for one that will actually work probably isn't too outrageous.

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 11:22:57 am »
Seems like an easy way to make some quick $$$, not satisfied.
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Spartacus

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 10:19:55 pm »
1. You can select 40 Troops at once :D
2. Yes this game has some bugs (delay)
3. I bought it with friends for like 15€ and i still think it is it worth (simplay because of more multiplayer activity)
4. Maybe they going to make a new age of empires when they see that there is a huge demand
5. Tomorrow is the official release
6. Sry for opening a new thread did nit see the other one (AGE HD deserves two threads :P)
So thats NA, why do you care about EU? Are you trying to export freedom?

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 05:10:50 am »
game is kind of a rip really, currently a bit laggy/buggy. and somethings like UI and keybinds should have been updated imo, more important than graphics.

still enjoying it because im a big aoe2 fan but it is still a bit of a joke, since its in worse shape than FE mod.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 06:26:11 am »
Not sure what ur talking about no rush, u have a town center that can defend itself fine with a few villagers in it up until the castle age. Anyways I got it because I played AoE2 but not the expansion, and since it is moddable thru steam workshop.
Pock gobblers

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 12:27:45 am »
yeah i got a few cool mods already.

but I see people asking for refund and I don't blame them, game cant even handle 3v3 and is in a horrible state imo.

im rank 861, altho im better than average I think its bugged. my nick is jupsto if anyone wants to play

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 09:38:17 am »
ok I am rank 76 atm

I originally thought it must be bugged because Ive played people who are much better than me but then I checked this site

aoe2stats.com

So i had a recorded game of one of the guys who thrashed me, I look him up and his is rank 1 lol.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 02:19:31 am »
Anyone still playing it on Steam? All i get into servers is MLG PRO RUSH WITH 50+ LONGBOWMAN bundle of stickss

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 03:20:41 am »
This release got me back into aoe2 but I got to rank global rank 50 and then realised I wasn't actually pro, I was still a noob but all the good players play on voobly.

voobly is actually a much better service once you get it set up, less likely to lag etc. graphics are identicle, only thing HD has is better water textures. also has much more players than steam overall.

voobly is where entire the competitive scene is, just had a 50 thousand dollar tournement, not bad for such an old game. voobly isn't perfect I don't work for them honestly, its just that its free and WAY better than HD which was a complete rip off in hindsight.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 04:57:41 am »
This release got me back into aoe2 but I got to rank global rank 50 and then realised I wasn't actually pro, I was still a noob but all the good players play on voobly.

voobly is actually a much better service once you get it set up, less likely to lag etc. graphics are identicle, only thing HD has is better water textures. also has much more players than steam overall.

voobly is where entire the competitive scene is, just had a 50 thousand dollar tournement, not bad for such an old game. voobly isn't perfect I don't work for them honestly, its just that its free and WAY better than HD which was a complete rip off in hindsight.

I'm getting raped in Steam version. Why would i go to voobly? And also got da Forgotten expansion on Steam. Damn rushing hax players

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 06:55:35 am »
there is a new player lobby in voobly and more players overall, but yeah I guess steam has more new players so I guess stick to it. it is more likely to lag and disconnect than voobly, but voobly is a bit of hassle to set up.

there is alot to learn in aoe2 to get good in multiplayer, economy is everything in aoe2, and it makes the game alot more complex than starcraft or C&C. (aoe2 random map anyway)

if you want to get good quickly I recommend focusing on your darkage, you need to practise it vs AI until you can do it properly. otherwise you will be at a big disadvantage vs players who know how to dark age properly (lure boars etc.).