Author Topic: Jarold's Maps  (Read 94621 times)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Re: Jarold's Maps SIIIEEGEE
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 05:07:32 am »
Perfect Jarold.

I would add the same thing on the other side though, yeah.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 02:43:49 pm »
either way, it all depends on how far are the defender spawns from the ladders, and how close are the atackers.

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2013, 07:04:21 pm »
Windsore Castle:
-the wheels of the siege tower are turning the wrong way

The shortest way (with opened gatehouse) takes about 50 seconds to 1 minute! Gatehouse might be opened very soon, but if this way is already that long i think it will make the whole left of the castle completely obsolete. I don't know, it's quite huge and in the state that i tested it, it will definitely be a attacking horror =P
Going to the backdoor seems useless to me. It takes 40-60 seconds (Depending on the spaw) to get there, then you have to destroy one door and either destroy another 2 doors or you are bound to go to the destroyable gates on the walls, which will take a lot of time on top. And then you are not even at the flag already, still like a 20 second walk to it.
The state it is in now will turn out to be a "Siege Tower, Gatehouse, Flag"-map.

You should have kept the name "Impenetrable Fortress" xD

Suggestion: Rework the backdoor/backway.

But other than the wheels and the balance issue i found nothing else that concerns me. I'll take a look and Windfall Castle in a few minutes.

Edit: Yeah, Windfalls seems nice, wouldn't do anything to it right now. Will be in the next update.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:20:56 pm by Fips »

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 12:24:13 am »
Windsore Castle:
-the wheels of the siege tower are turning the wrong way

The shortest way (with opened gatehouse) takes about 50 seconds to 1 minute! Gatehouse might be opened very soon, but if this way is already that long i think it will make the whole left of the castle completely obsolete. I don't know, it's quite huge and in the state that i tested it, it will definitely be a attacking horror =P
Going to the backdoor seems useless to me. It takes 40-60 seconds (Depending on the spaw) to get there, then you have to destroy one door and either destroy another 2 doors or you are bound to go to the destroyable gates on the walls, which will take a lot of time on top. And then you are not even at the flag already, still like a 20 second walk to it.
The state it is in now will turn out to be a "Siege Tower, Gatehouse, Flag"-map.

You should have kept the name "Impenetrable Fortress" xD

Suggestion: Rework the backdoor/backway.

But other than the wheels and the balance issue i found nothing else that concerns me. I'll take a look and Windfall Castle in a few minutes.

Edit: Yeah, Windfalls seems nice, wouldn't do anything to it right now. Will be in the next update.

Lol yeah shoulda kept it as impenetrable fortress.  :lol:  Ok i'll see about reworking it and the wheels on the siege tower would never turn the right way no matter how hard I tried. I turned them every which way I could and it still was wrong.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 12:35:57 am »
Lol yeah shoulda kept it as impenetrable fortress.  :lol:  Ok i'll see about reworking it and the wheels on the siege tower would never turn the right way no matter how hard I tried. I turned them every which way I could and it still was wrong.

Just turn all of them 180° =P

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 12:48:16 am »
+2
I think its safe to assume now that Jarold is one of most productive members of this community.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, 01:57:13 am »
New map file : http://www.mediafire.com/?nhy7xnhh7xvegsk

Removed doors on the steps, removed destructible gate that was near the ladders, changed a ladder position so that it might be used. A few other small things.

(click to show/hide)

I really don't know what else to do with the map, sadly.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2013, 02:39:47 am »
With that ladder you can actually sneak your way to the flag over the walls , should make a lot more sense to move there now.
I think with those kind of castles it's better to do a little more for the attack than the defence, because as soon as that clock hits 0:00 it's over for attackers. And in general new castles are usually worse to attack than defend (Just look at my Burg Rabenstein, first version was impossible to attack, even the version on the servers right now is still very hard to capture). You can always add a little door instead of the gate, or place obstacles later on if it turns out to be too easy to attack. I might even be completely wrong about this castle, i guess we'll have to wait for it to be on a server, as usual.

I guess it's just the nature of a map-creator making a castle more likely to be biased towards defence, simply because that's the way it's supposed to be in RL. I'll check your map tomorrow again, but i'm guessing it should be fine for the servers now =)

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2013, 10:36:15 pm »
+2
I am going through all your new maps and providing feedback, will update as I go. My god you make a lot of maps.

Ruined Castle
(click to show/hide)

Cultist Hill
(click to show/hide)

Furvink Prison
It's without a doubt a nice dungeon map, but dungeon maps are too cav unfriendly and quite a lot of infantry players don't like them either. Combining some dungeons with more open areas could work, but a map that is solely a dungeon would kill the server too much.

Grand Arena and Homestead
They crash my game whenever I try to host them, I asked Fips to try and the same thing happened to him. Could you try to reupload these for starters?

Crossing
Great map, good look. Think you nailed this one. Does somewhat break the mirror rule, but I think that one has been hardly enforced and I don't mind mirrorish maps. Only advice I can give is to move the invisible borders like a few feet into the water. Sometimes they block off a few feet of flat land which might be used as playable area by cav. You have a nice natural boundary, why not move the invisible borders just a bit into the water, still stops people from going where they shouldn't go while there is 0 interference with gameplay.

Only if you can be arsed though, I'll add it no doubt.

Ruined Fort
When I open the .sco file I get your siege map Windfall Castle instead of this map. Could you please reupload this one as well? Sadly another duplicated name, although Native Ruined Fort is going to be in the rotation soon, to avoid confusion a rename would be nice.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:39:08 pm by Teeth »

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 05:00:19 am »
+1
Hey thanks for the quality feedback! I think it will be too much work to revise Cultist Hill so just ignore that map. Feel free to ignore Grand Arena also it isn't a good map.

I updated Ruined Castle, now known as Rhodias. I added the path you suggested, the outside area is accessible, moved the ladder so that faction 1 can get onto the small tower at the same time, made the ladder closest to faction 2 moveable so that it would give faction 1 more time to get there, and updated the landscape and various other things.

Map file : http://www.mediafire.com/?w2crzp53phq3qcq 

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 07:46:57 pm »
Good call opening up the area outside of the castle. Gives cavalry room to gallop. Map is good to go as far as I am concerned.

Updated my feedback post with the rest of your battle maps.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2013, 10:04:46 pm »
+1
Ugh I think I overwrote the Ruined Fort with Windfall Castle because they have the same scn object and code. I think this map is lost. I might be able to cover it but meh.

I remember Jacko put Homestead in cRPG at one point but it never got into rotation because of the mysterious crashing.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 05:29:49 pm »
When you edited those doors into your Windfall castle you messed up the gate =/
Probably tested it, opened the gate and then saved the file, so now it's open 24/7.

Damn it, should have tested the newest version of this as well, but derp, i only saw the first xd

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2013, 07:30:03 pm »
Damnit, I always had a creeping suspicion I shouldn't leave doors or gates open before saving. I will make an update soon.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2013, 08:43:41 pm »
And crossing has gates that can be opened and closed, especially the one on the ground looks weird.
I'll leave it in, though. It's not really gamebreaking.