Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 introduces gear progression  (Read 9984 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2 introduces gear progression
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 07:00:46 pm »
Besides, what is wrong with a Tank - DPS - Heal structure ? It makes fighting in groups more challenging than just "spam all your attacks like you did when you were alone". This archertype has been proven to work and is much, much older than any MMO.

they wanted to avoid that because having to stand in queue or spam LFM for hours to finally find a tank or a healer is fucking annoying

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 07:03:20 pm »
+1
That is true. I remember playing GW1 and it taking a very very long time to find any decent combo of classes.

Though I miss the days of using my Warrior to run some of the harder routes for people for gold  :)

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 11:41:36 pm »
You can say GW2 has no holy trinity, but more importantly it lacks an actual group cooperation system. There are no mutually complementary classes. I'd even go as far as saying that all classes are more or less the same, the only difference being that some are stronger than others. They all are a dps-heal-tank monster individually so actually the holy trinity is not gone, it is everywhere. Very few skills are actually original (i.e. not working with numbers but with effects that have a radically different impact). It's the same "hit", "hit harder", "hit in a zone", "hit and do damage over time"... all the time.

Besides, what is wrong with a Tank - DPS - Heal structure ? It makes fighting in groups more challenging than just "spam all your attacks like you did when you were alone". This archertype has been proven to work and is much, much older than any MMO.

Nailed it.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 03:01:00 am »
You can say GW2 has no holy trinity, but more importantly it lacks an actual group cooperation system. There are no mutually complementary classes. I'd even go as far as saying that all classes are more or less the same, the only difference being that some are stronger than others. They all are a dps-heal-tank monster individually so actually the holy trinity is not gone, it is everywhere. Very few skills are actually original (i.e. not working with numbers but with effects that have a radically different impact). It's the same "hit", "hit harder", "hit in a zone", "hit and do damage over time"... all the time.

I think that they tried to replace the trinity as oppose to eliminate it by giving each class the ability to do a little bit of everything in order to fill all roles, however the end result was that every class is essentially a DPS class so fights, particularly PvE, are all about might stacking and spam. They also tried to replace the teamwork found in tank-dps-heal games with combo-fields but they're really not that great and it's easy to just put up a wall in front of everyone and just spam away without any coordination or thought.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline GreasySausageSandwhich

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Flint_Beastwood, GreasySausageSandwhich, NFL_QB_AaronRodgers, etc.
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 01:03:29 am »
I'm feeling kind of meh about the item progression.

IN OTHER NEWS:  The new shard dungeons (minus the swamp kinda) ARE FUCKING SICK.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 10:00:44 am »
I don't mind the new item quality level being implemented, I think it was needed. When I hit 80 I had enough money to immediately buy me exotic equipment and was immediately top equipped, which is not much of an end game, I would say. Still it's retarded to first announce one thing and later to break that promise. But the Arenanet devs are masters in making retarded decisions, especially concerning game design. So nothing new here.  :rolleyes:
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)