Author Topic: Help balancing out my 12/27 1h/shielder build?  (Read 732 times)

Offline WhiteAndMilky

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 16
    • View Profile
Help balancing out my 12/27 1h/shielder build?
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:46:07 am »
Hello, I have played this build on my stf and I really really like it. It goes well with my bad ping, so it makes blocking hits possible, even though it still sometimes doesn't work, even with a shield.

Here is the build I have currently, and I do not have a good understanding of the mechanics and math that go into some of these points. Like for instance should I drop out some shield for wpf? Will my shield generally last long enough at (X) skill level to justify bumping up my wpf? Or should I drop my shield skill and just try to pick up lots of ones on the ground?

Should I carry 2 shields? should I bring an axe with my sword? What shields should I use as infantry? I also am new to sword and shield, so some things might be new information to me, that is common knowledge to most people.

Really anything you can help me with from playstyle, to points distribution, to equipment loadout, would be really appreciated.

I really like the athletics, and I generally sport very light armor, so this works well for me. I also like the shield bubble that high shield skill is giving me.

Strength: 12
Agility: 27
Hit points: 47

Skills to attributes: 8

Ironflesh: 0
Power Strike: 4
Shield: 7
Athletics: 9
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 3

One Handed: 133
Two Handed: 1
Polearm: 1
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
Re: Help balancing out my 12/27 1h/shielder build?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 03:47:15 pm »
Generally, weapon master is only worth it for hybrids or ranged builds. I think the build could be improved if you dropped all your weapon master and maxed out shield and put a point in ironflesh. Then you'd be rolling the same build I used a few gens back.  8-)

Also, never bring 2 shields, especially as a high agility shielder. A single, small, fast shield is best because the high shield skill can easily make up for durability issues and it won't penalize your movement as much. Bringing a blunt or pierce damage weapon is a must for agility shielders because you won't be able to bring down plated monsters without a lot of luck or skill.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:50:18 pm by TurmoilTom »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:07:25 pm »
I guess cuz of ping you need to block a lot.

The shield you bring depends on how the shield is working for you? Do you need more coverage cuz you're dieing from people getting around shield or arrows ? Bring a heavy round. Is this heavy round breaking too fast, bring a huscarl shield. Is your lag causing you to get hit cuz you can't raise shield fast enough? Go for Brown Lion shield, Knight Heater or Knightly Kite. For something in the middle of speed and protection, either a "round shield" or elite cav shield. NEVER carry 2 shields...

Your WPF is enough. WPF is only like 10% of actual swing speed. Weapon itself is maybe another 20%, but the bulk of swing speed is detemined by footwork, turning in with your swing (using mouse and arrow keys). So 133 is more than enough, you could even drop WM to 2 or 1 and put the points into shield if you find you shield is still breaking too much.

With low PS, you definitely need a pierce weapon, with your lag you need a fast weapon too. So all signs point to you using a pick. Obv a steel pick will hit hardest, but it's a very difficult weapon to use, San makes it look easy, but you really need excellent footwork to stay in proper range for a 64 length weapon. If it's not working for you, try a fighting pick or military sickle. The 80 length of fighting pick could make a world of difference. Also try out the mace family, flanged and wing mace are nice fast weps. You might wanna carry an axe too, perhaps a one handed axe or just even a hand axe. You can pull it out for cloth/leather targets like archers, and also to break shields.

Your playstyle will be to avoid thick fights. You will die fast from random swings (both team and enemy). Since you are newish you might want to avoid 1v1 also, ontop of not being very good yet, your ping is an extra handicap to dueling. So basically use your speed to find lighter pockets of fighting, and help teammates who are already engaged 1v1. Use your speed to get on opponents' flank/rear and go to town, don't attack frontal beside your teammate. You can trying using your speed to harass archers, although watch out cuz some of them are really good at melee also. At least you keep them busy and off your teammates though.

Offline WhiteAndMilky

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 10:47:22 pm »
Thanks guys! I ditched the wpf, and maxed shield and 1 IF. I tested it on my stf first. I loved it.

I had to respec my alt, but it was only like level 18 or so which wasn't so bad.

Love the info about equipment too, I really appreciate it! Don't think I will try to use the steel pick, I don't do too well with weapons under 80 length or so. I really like the long espada I had on my stf with this build. Probably gonna carry around a medium range axe as well, so as to not carry more weight than is necessary.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 11:12:34 pm »
Here's a trick that worked for me on my 15-24 shielder xbow hybrid. If I was about to enter combat, and the entire time I was in combat, I would hold both mouse buttons. The block will override your swing. Then, in order to swing, you simply must release your right mouse button since you are already holding your left. That way it is easier to get quick swings in, and was a very good way to feint for me. In order to feint you simply have to release your RMB and press it again when you are ending the feint.

It might not work for you, I've only tried it on my PC with my 650dpi stock HP mouse. I would think that with a real mouse it would still work though. Just give it a shot.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline OpenPalm

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Thes
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 11:18:33 pm »
Nice build!  I would use a steel pick or a flanged mace.
Quote from: Smoothrich
Racism against our chinese gold grinding brothers.

Offline WhiteAndMilky

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 04:39:32 am »
Here's a trick that worked for me on my 15-24 shielder xbow hybrid. If I was about to enter combat, and the entire time I was in combat, I would hold both mouse buttons. The block will override your swing. Then, in order to swing, you simply must release your right mouse button since you are already holding your left. That way it is easier to get quick swings in, and was a very good way to feint for me. In order to feint you simply have to release your RMB and press it again when you are ending the feint.

It might not work for you, I've only tried it on my PC with my 650dpi stock HP mouse. I would think that with a real mouse it would still work though. Just give it a shot.

These are the kinds of things I really enjoy people sharing with me! I will give this a try for sure in my next game. Thanks so much!

EDIT: This is actually harder to get used to than it sounds!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:54:14 am by WhiteAndMilky »