Author Topic: A Humble Request  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
A Humble Request
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:18:19 pm »
+8
For anyone thinking about giving map creation a shot, can you try, or at least consider, making a "town" map? They're the most balanced for all classes and I believe having more of these in our rotation would solve some balance issues that people don't realize actually stem from map design. Remember, village maps (6-7 houses) and open field maps favor cavalry and/or ranged, while the majority of the player base is melee. I'm not saying make your map favor melee. I'm saying think about what viable options every class has for the duration of each round that will be played on the map, and that town maps generally are more balanced because they have more options (Wide open areas on the periphery of a map don't add options, they only create empty space).

Thanks.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Re: A Humble Request
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 09:32:01 pm »
If I make a battle map, I will do just this :)
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Skurcey

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 25
    • View Profile
  • Faction: =BoB=
  • Game nicks: BoB_Skurcey
  • IRC nick: Skurcey
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:49:37 am »
i remember some maps on old Pecores server... Maybe you could find a way to get them? :)
=BoB= Only the petals of fire will give me peace ***
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:16:43 pm »
i remember some maps on old Pecores server... Maybe you could find a way to get them? :)
Hmm... We currently have someone trying to compile a list of maps from non official servers and old dead servers for NA, wonder if we could have someone do that for EU too.

Offline FrugFrug

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB Mascot
  • Game nicks: FrugFrug Owl_Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 06:04:52 pm »
+1
I've had an almost finished battle map for over a couple months now, I just need to stop being lazy and finish it (I think it's fairly well balanced for all classes, maybe a slight disadvantage for cav but that's a good thing.  :P)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:34:18 pm »
I've had an almost finished battle map for over a couple months now, I just need to stop being lazy and finish it (I think it's fairly well balanced for all classes, maybe a slight disadvantage for cav but that's a good thing.  :P)
I'm sort of in the same boat. I have multiple maps that I've made (only one of which being a town map), but I ended up not really liking them much. So I just stopped working on them even though they could still be improved. I have a few map ideas, but I find myself enjoying the creation of a map layout rather than actually creating the map and placing objects.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 05:33:29 pm »
It is time consuming.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:29:28 am »
+1
naah, town maps just make warband feel like cod, or cs. and cav is almost useless, so they have to dissmount. i see how that could be alluring to some people.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 10:27:29 pm »
naah, town maps just make warband feel like cod, or cs. and cav is almost useless, so they have to dissmount. i see how that could be alluring to some people.
Had a conversation about this in irc. Remember when De_Dust was made for warband and it was added to rotation for like... a week? Yeah, I don't think we should have those type of maps added because clearly, they can have a tendency to make cav much less useful. I don't believe that it's necessary for town maps and useless cav to go hand in hand though. Narrow alley ways are what hurt cav. Debris scattered everywhere leaving only a single viable path for cav to maneuver, hurts the class. Knowing this, I think it's possible to make a town map that doesn't just cater to one or two classes and that town maps don't have to lead to useless cav.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 01:46:10 am »
+1
I absolutely love maps that have wide main streets, ladders to rooftops, makeshift bridges and stuff from rooftop to rooftop, and single file alleys strewn here and there. No matter what class you play, there's a little something for you in that kind of map. Not only is it balanced, everyone can have fun!

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 04:01:49 am »
What is wrong with open maps. Cav is weak and has been since lance of compensation dissapeared.

Town maps give advantage to ganking mobs. Ruins is probably the most balanced map in this game. Either force players into close quarters or keep them in the open dont segregate classes to specific areas on the map it is unfair.

Open maps with hold points a pile of logs or barrels that stop cav trampeling force team work and let infantry and cav do their jobs. Archers can fire at long range for as long as possible.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.