Yes
19 (33.9%)
No
33 (58.9%)
Maybe
4 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: August 13, 2012, 11:51:52 am

Author Topic: Roman Gear?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
Re: Roman Gear?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 12:58:20 am »
Please necro old threads instead of adding to the pile... unless of course your posting in the realism thread then you can go bananas.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 01:06:15 am »
How is he american when he spells armor with a u?

Good point. But that doesn't make him less intellectually challenged, I'm afraid. :)
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 01:35:39 am »
+3
Of course we have the Red Roman Helmets and Other roman helmets but when have you actually seen a roman wear those?

Well time for a quick constructive post...

Those helmets are Roman, specifically from the Eastern Roman Empire, also known as the Byzantine Empire, (After the split, the Western Roman Empire fell after being saddled with all of the invasions/foreigners while lacking the rich resources of the ERE). The ERE remained a significant power due to the Queen of Cities with unmatched walls and wealth (Konstantinopolis or Constantinople now known as Istanbul) renown for controlling both of the two land paths required for Europe to trade with the east, (one of which the Queen of Cities literally stood on, as well as controlling the vast majority of all major sea routes.). The ERE lasted until the mid 15th century, falling mainly not due to military or economic fault but rather a long decline of political infighting which weakened the state via forced inaction (hence where the term "Byzantine Politics" arose.)

All of the current roman gear is from the ERE, and if you are not aware of the Eastern Roman Empire then I highly recommend that you look it up, for it is one of many critical cultures that has influenced most major historical events which have shaped the modern world, as well as being utterly fascinating.

As for the Japanese remarks, the armor used in-game resembles that commonly used even around the same era as the later part of the ERE, when gunpowder was starting to be a common sight on the battlefield.

I humbly suggest that the Original Poster brush up on some ancient history, and even Medieval and Renaissance era history (Primarily focusing on Europe and Asia), as you will learn a great many interesting things. An often overlooked bit from the western world is teachings about Eastern Europe, I suggest you start there.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:38:42 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 03:13:05 am »
As much as I admire you for that post, ToD, I am afraid that he will not fully grasp the favour that has been bestowed to him.

Anyway, I think the Byzantine Empire is one of the most, if not THE most interesting medieval super powers ever. Shame they got crushed by Seljuk Turks, later known as Ottoman Empire.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Shik

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Gilmore Girls
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 04:38:21 am »
+3
To be honest the sacking of Constantinople in the fourth crusade probably did more damage than anything the Turks ever did. Not to mention the fact that the Byzantines probably did more damage to themselves in their repeated civil wars than by Turkish invaders.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:50:35 am by Shik »

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 06:12:04 am »
Come on people what do you think, should this mod have more Roman gear? Shields, Body Armour, Helmets?

It would be nice to have a little bit more diversity. Leave a comment explaining why.

As you may already know we have many Japanese and European Armour sets, It would be nice if cRPG had some more Armour and weapons.

Of course we have the Red Roman Helmets and Other roman helmets but when have you actually seen a roman wear those?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And if chadz said there will never be Roman gear why the hell do we have jacked up roman helmets?

You really tought these helmets were ancient roman? And you called the samurai stuff ancient, thou samurais still exsisted even in the 19th century? Clearly shows you dont know jack about history. Pick up a book before you start talking dirt about the devs boy.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 02:28:09 pm »
+1
To be honest the sacking of Constantinople in the fourth crusade probably did more damage than anything the Turks ever did. Not to mention the fact that the Byzantines probably did more damage to themselves in their repeated civil wars than by Turkish invaders.

The constant conflict with Persia is what weakened the Byz to the point that they were extremely vulnerable to muslim expansion in the first place. And vice versa.
And that's not counting the countless slavic incursions into the Balkans.

Offline matt2507

• King
  • Renown: 1013
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • It is when making anything that we become anyone.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Raylin The_Village_Idiot Mohamed_Ali
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 03:05:46 pm »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

sure, it's the same  :mrgreen:

No donkeys were harmed in the making of this gif.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 06:14:14 pm »
Central American weapons and armor please.

Fits the time period.

Maybe some African and south east asia?

Trolololololl.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 06:16:24 pm »
Central American weapons and armor please.
Ye cause it makes sense to let Europeans fight some Central American guys if they didnt even know anything about America. :D
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 06:26:42 pm »
So, they were present. Should be accounted for with as just as much purpose as weabos.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 07:25:08 am »
I would love to see mauri or Polynesians fighting Vikings. The more cultures and styles the better.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Gamerofthegame

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Desu, LLJK_McSteve, LLJK_Gamer
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 08:15:30 am »
Why not? It doesn't have to be realistic - Who cares, honestly?

"Oh no, my game of random mish mash of people with has people from different eras. It doesn't have to be weaker, it can have the same stats of some other armor and just look the part. Let people play to some theme other then "Europeans, vaguely Crusaders and Japanese in black armor". We have a few Roman-themed clans running around, give them some gear.

But.

Post the mod for it. Go onto the MnB site, find the gear. Post a link to the gear. chadz and company aren't likely going to make their own stuff for this and I can hardly blame them. But if you say "Hey look at these things can we have them?" then it's a lot easier for someone to go "Oh well, sure we'll just match their stats with this and here you go have fun kid."

Don't just say "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY can we have new Chinese/Roman/Japanese/whatever armor tia"

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 08:27:35 am »
Another problem with all such gear is that it has exposed arms/legs. You can't have the colour of  the skin on the armor match the color of the player's skin.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 08:40:52 am »
+2
I'd be all for feather suits and maquahuatls or whatever they're called, the obsidian club weapons. It would suck mixing them with other items though, I can already imagine juaguar warriors waving around flamberges. I'm always for more variety, but I just have to take a look at the vomit-inducing retarded armor/weapon mixes already present to realize trolls and morons would have a field day with them, either for minmaxing purposes or because being eyesores makes them giggle like retarded children. Or they literaly have no sense of taste.