Author Topic: Stronghold Kingdoms - MMO Strategy game, free to play  (Read 33037 times)

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
Re: Stronghold Kingdoms - MMO Strategy game, free to play
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 10:13:37 pm »
I'm a Earl with 33k Points on World 3 Leitram Area. Own 2 parishes with 6 villages total. Run a faction with 450k points and 35 members.

I play with a few people who have joined me -

Poophammer
Smoothrich
Badplayer
Shik
A friend of mine (Scab)
Mechanix (just joined)

Sorry to inform you but the whole Pay2Win Route is extremely hard to do in this game. First off any of the HUGE cards that actually make a huge impact to pay 2 win are random cards that you can only get from the free cards which everyone can get. All of these cards you get at random.

The ones you can actually pay for and get at any time arnt even that strong. Sure they help but I can easily win against other players who use cards.

Nope. The two top players/leaders in the our world were notorious carders. It's a massive advantage to get 5x production in everything, get instant units, massive movement bonus, and then instant repairs, instant build, instant research, sally forth cards, etc. The free cards are the same as the random pack, which you can buy with crowns. You can also trade in your cards and select your own. When you're blowing $100+ a week on crowns, the 5:1 trade in (at most) is nothing.

There's virtually nothing you can do (other than use instant repair/instant build cards) against someone who stacks unit cards and sends 10+ full armies at your village with the movement card while your interdiction is down.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:21:33 pm by bilwit »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 10:31:45 pm »
Nope. The two top players/leaders in the our world were notorious carders. It's a massive advantage to get 5x production in everything, get instant units, massive movement bonus, and then instant repairs, instant build, instant research, sally forth cards, etc. The free cards are the same as the random pack, which you can buy with crowns. You can also trade in your cards and select your own. When you're blowing $100+ a week on crowns, the 5:1 trade in (at most) is nothing.

There's virtually nothing you can do (other than use instant repair/instant build cards) against someone who stacks unit cards and sends 10+ full armies at your village with the movement card while your interdiction is down.
Half the shit is fucking useless. Let me explain.

At such a high level x5 production isn't even that great, I highly doubt they even spend cards on that considering resources become a lot less needed the higher you get. I constantly have 100k+ of every resource because I can't spend it all faster then I make it EVEN with premium where I can que shit up. Now for a higher rank to do this would make no sense.

Getting instant units is so fucking limited, the best card there is 60 archers - 60 archers is pretty fucking useless when you could easily make that. At the moment I have MINIMUM 500 bows available for use. Again the leader in your world is a Prince at max honor level hes probably making x3 the bow production I am. Also not to mention the cost of stupid amounts of card points it's not even worth it.

Massive Speed Bonus is a valid argument except the fact that they don't got much card points so literally anyone can get them for next to nothing.

Same thing for instant repairs easily obtained, also instant repairs are that useful if you send consecutive attacks and only repair walls that are damage it doesn't repair walls that have been demolished.

Instant Research yet again is fucking useless for high ranks because half the time the high rank can't even rank quick enough before his 3 research points are spent, varies on player of course. Also if you were speaking from the top player they're most likely already Prine (I.E max level) which means they've spent all there research points unless they pay for some using Gold which is only earned through in game.

Sally Forth can be obtained with research too and a extra few knights isn't going to change a battle DRAMATICALLY.

I would like to see a castle survive 10+ full armies anyways, it's not suppose to survive I don't really care how fucking good your castle is but if you expect to survive 10+ waves of an army you're insane. Especially if the person who is attacking knows what their doing.

-Side note- I'm not scared of people who spend a shit ton of money on this game because their advantage they get wouldn't make a huge difference in warfare I don't find. They're are so many tactics you can use to out smart your opponent is you know what you're doing that it's more strategy than anything. Not to mention you can join factions, Houses for protection etc.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:36:12 pm by SeQuel »

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 10:50:35 pm »
Half the shit is fucking useless. Let me explain.

At such a high level x5 production isn't even that great, I highly doubt they even spend cards on that considering resources become a lot less needed the higher you get. I constantly have 100k+ of every resource because I can't spend it all faster then I make it EVEN with premium where I can que shit up. Now for a higher rank to do this would make no sense.

Getting instant units is so fucking limited, the best card there is 60 archers - 60 archers is pretty fucking useless when you could easily make that. At the moment I have MINIMUM 500 bows available for use. Again the leader in your world is a Prince at max honor level hes probably making x3 the bow production I am. Also not to mention the cost of stupid amounts of card points it's not even worth it.

Massive Speed Bonus is a valid argument except the fact that they don't got much card points so literally anyone can get them for next to nothing.

Same thing for instant repairs easily obtained, also instant repairs are that useful if you send consecutive attacks and only repair walls that are damage it doesn't repair walls that have been demolished.

Instant Research yet again is fucking useless for high ranks because half the time the high rank can't even rank quick enough before his 3 research points are spent, varies on player of course. Also if you were speaking from the top player they're most likely already Prine (I.E max level) which means they've spent all there research points unless they pay for some using Gold which is only earned through in game.

Sally Forth can be obtained with research too and a extra few knights isn't going to change a battle DRAMATICALLY.

I would like to see a castle survive 10+ full armies anyways, it's not suppose to survive I don't really care how fucking good your castle is but if you expect to survive 10+ waves of an army you're insane. Especially if the person who is attacking knows what their doing.

-Side note- I'm not scared of people who spend a shit ton of money on this game because their advantage they get wouldn't make a huge difference in warfare I don't find. They're are so many tactics you can use to out smart your opponent is you know what you're doing that it's more strategy than anything. Not to mention you can join factions, Houses for protection etc.

I agree, production cards don't mean anything when you're high enough. Certainly when starting out they make things roll literally 5x faster, also in conjuction with leveling. If you spend $20-$30 right off the bat you'll hit lvl14 in 2-3 days if you sit on it all day. It's just a trade off -- production cards are extremely useful in getting a head start while offense/defense cards are useless and the opposite at higher levels.

Instant units are not useless. When you're attacking multiple targets you can just stack archers, pikemen, and catapults non stop as long as you've spent enough $$$ on cards and have the honor points to do it. This is the game's endgame war-play. No strategy involved. Send 10+ armies at one village and then gg. When I played, certain players were throwing 10+ armies at one village, and then the next village, and then the next, etc all in a few hours because they had the cards to do so. There is no such thing as attrition to people who never run out of units to send. The only real strategy in the game is between the players themselves, talking up alliances and truces and shit and organizing monk/vote raids and coordinating consecutive interdiction targets. To say you haven't encountered something like this in your world is one thing, but to suggest that it never happens or isn't possible would be false.

Are you saying obtaining multiple instant repair/build/whatever cards are easily obtained? Surely the only easily obtainable way to get enough cards to have a truly "strong" (lol) defense is by paying enough money for crowns to get them. I was also referring to the other defense cards like increasing wall hitpoints, instant towers, 5x build speed, etc.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:02:30 pm by bilwit »

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 12:27:04 am »
No where did I say that never happens. What stops people from steam rolling others is Honor.

If a Prince were to attack a Knight it would cost him A SHIT TON of honor to raze just 1 of his villages. If they were steam rolling people their level then it's fair game. You can be perfectly competitive in this game and still do well if you know what you're doing.

Very few cards actually give an advantage and even then it's slight. How far did you even get into the game? I feel as if you're butt hurt that someone a few ranks above you raped you cause you started some shit.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 01:41:58 am »
No where did I say that never happens. What stops people from steam rolling others is Honor.

If a Prince were to attack a Knight it would cost him A SHIT TON of honor to raze just 1 of his villages. If they were steam rolling people their level then it's fair game. You can be perfectly competitive in this game and still do well if you know what you're doing.

Very few cards actually give an advantage and even then it's slight. How far did you even get into the game?

I think I was a Viscount. I had 4 villages and 3 parish stewardships (battling monk votes with the 4th) now that I think of it. I was apart of the leading house and we were getting attacked by the leader of the 2nd biggest house because of some bullshit chat drama the two leaders had. He was rolling a bunch of villages by himself including one of mine but I didn't care at that point because I was bored as shit with the game so I just stopped playing. This was like 3-4 months ago.

I feel as if you're butt hurt that someone a few ranks above you raped you cause you started some shit.

I feel as if you're still in the "wow this is new and is better than it actually is" stage and haven't gotten to the "yeah this is a pretty dumb game/why did I just waste my life on this" stage yet. It's okay, you'll get there.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:48:43 am by bilwit »

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 02:46:07 am »
I've been playing longer then you and I'm two ranks over and much more experienced.

But ok. I also don't consider it a waste of time as I play it when I'm bored and not playing other games or simply browsing the internet.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 04:11:26 am »
I've been playing longer then you and I'm two ranks over and much more experienced.

But ok. I also don't consider it a waste of time as I play it when I'm bored and not playing other games or simply browsing the internet.

That's pretty sad if you've been playing longer than I have and are only 2 ranks ahead me when I'm 3-4 months removed since I've last played but okay. Obviously you're not doing something right.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:16:10 am by bilwit »

Offline Pollux

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 04:30:37 am »
The game is really fun because it takes out all of the dumb demeaning tasks in strategy games (like age of empires) forcing you to command your workers back and forth, STUPID BORING TASKS. In stronghold all of the workers automatically know when to bring their piece of wood back to the stockpile every two hours, and the armies you build choose their own tactics. You can just sit back and watch everything happen, the best part about the game is not playing the game!

With some research it only takes a few weeks to research all of the best techs for crushing your opponents, but the best way to get an edge over everyone in the game is to buy cards. Two sets of cards should be the minimum you purchase in order to get the 14 cards/week bonus. You will notice a huge difference in how fast you level up and get money by purchasing as many food resource cards as possible. Constantly have increased food and hops production so you can sell excess to fresh markets and trade in cards you don't need to get the happiness multipliers. As long as you max your taxes and food consumption all day you will have max honor every day. Get tons of vassals outside your honor circle to farm their honor zones.

Finally, always watch the game to make sure you don't miss a trade caravan, building placement, or wolf camp. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:12:02 am by Pollux »

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 05:51:16 am »
That's pretty sad if you've been playing longer than I have and are only 2 ranks ahead me when I'm 3-4 months removed since I've last played but okay. Obviously you're not doing something right.

I didn't start the same day you did, I've been playing longer then you then when I've started.

Whats sad is that you're in a sub forum of a game you don't like to just to shit talk it. Why the fuck are you here loser? Gtfo.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:54:20 am by SeQuel »

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 07:58:38 am »
I didn't start the same day you did, I've been playing longer then you then when I've started.

Whats sad is that you're in a sub forum of a game you don't like to just to shit talk it. Why the fuck are you here loser? Gtfo.

lol you're so mad that my opinion on the game is different than yours.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 11:25:15 am »
+1
bilwit? more like dimwit
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 01:18:12 pm »
I played the Alpha version and a bit of the current one. I owned 1 perish and some villages around too.  Got kinda boring eventually.... All it has going for itself is the factions and titles and the fact that u can see sieges happen......thats pretty much it. Its fun, play it, but it will have a grindy feel like all other browser games like that quite fast.

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 02:25:47 pm »
To the pay 2 win whiner, this is what happens to cardmy old friends here: visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 03:56:43 pm »
You can throw all the money you want at this game, but at the end of the day you are just as vulnerable to getting wrecked as a person who has never spent a dime.
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 04:10:54 pm »
Played this game, quit on the castle building bit in the tutorial.