1 (worst)
50 (38.5%)
5 (3.8%)
11 (8.5%)
7 (5.4%)
5 (best)
57 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Author Topic: [Unban Essay] How a non-racist remark can be marked racist  (Read 9361 times)

Offline JohnAdams

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United States of America
  • Game nicks: FF_JohnAdams
Re: [Unban Essay] How a non-racist remark can be marked racist
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 08:47:24 pm »
+4
The pedantry over whether it's bigotry or racism is really missing the point imo
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:50:03 pm by JohnAdams »

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 09:01:41 pm »
+5
The pedantry over whether it's bigotry or racism is really missing the point imo

I disagree.  It's important because admins have not been enforcing bigotry.  George Washington was not banned for racism, he was banned for bigotry(*).

So.... we're enforcing a no-bigotry rule now?

I'm not saying they SHOULDN'T smack down all forms of bigotry, but that means laying the 500-word essay ban on everyone who uses words like "retard", "my old friend" or talks about the people of any nation in a negative way.  (I doubt I would have to search hard to find plenty of examples of anti-American bigotry that have gone unpunished, so why the sudden crackdown on someone who said something about Mexico?)

(* - actually, saying that all Mexicans should be killed to stop the drug trade isn't even bigotry, really.  It's more like, I dunno, either a hyperbole or just a really extreme, bad idea.  Maybe we're banning hyperboles and bad ideas now.  I don't know.  I mean I am certainly a cheerful spokesman when it comes to banning people and I'm not real sure I'd miss George Washington, who I mainly think of in terms of him trolling the game at various times in the past, but I'm not on board with this particular ban.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:03:20 pm by Slamz »
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline JohnAdams

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 09:10:21 pm »
+2
I disagree.  It's important because admins have not been enforcing bigotry.  George Washington was not banned for racism, he was banned for bigotry(*).

So.... we're enforcing a no-bigotry rule now?

I'm not saying they SHOULDN'T smack down all forms of bigotry, but that means laying the 500-word essay ban on everyone who uses words like "retard", "my old friend" or talks about the people of any nation in a negative way.  (I doubt I would have to search hard to find plenty of examples of anti-American bigotry that have gone unpunished, so why the sudden crackdown on someone who said something about Mexico?)

(* - actually, saying that all Mexicans should be killed to stop the drug trade isn't even bigotry, really.  It's more like, I dunno, either a hyperbole or just a really extreme, bad idea.  Maybe we're banning hyperboles and bad ideas now.  I don't know.  I mean I am certainly a cheerful spokesman when it comes to banning people and I'm not real sure I'd miss George Washington, who I mainly think of in terms of him trolling the game at various times in the past, but I'm not on board with this particular ban.)
Racism is a type of bigotry, and afaik it's mostly left up to admin discretion what types of bigotry "count." I've seen mutes over homophobia and sexism before, and I'm sure there've been bans over the same and other types of bigotry. imo though, arguing this amounts to rules lawyering, which doesn't really get us anywhere. The real issue should be over whether admins judge potentially bigoted things in-context or in a vacuum. Obviously, if you were to just take what he said with no context at all, it would be extreme and bigoted to say the least, but in context it's pretty clearly not intended to be mean at all, just a (bad) joke.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:12:37 pm by JohnAdams »

Offline FF_GeorgeWashington

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
  • Die hard supporter of Republicanism.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Angrysully, FF_GeorgeWashington
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 09:13:02 pm »
+3
I would like to hear the thoughts of the admin who issued the ban.  I admit that my statement was more on the radical end but I didn't use any racial insults and it was more of a joke then sincere.  I do also agree with NH with the anti American bigotry and most Americans don't give a crap because people shouldn't take offense in a video game when no racist terminology is used.  Usually Europeans don't even take offense.  The Americans and British have insulted each other ever since we booted their empire out of the Americas.  It's all in good fun and people know not to take it seriously unless you have some sort of hate or prejudice against the person.  I know I'm not the most well liked player but I apologize for tk's and twing and I haven't trolled in months.  If the admins are basing me from the past, then so be it I guess.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 09:53:08 pm »
+4
Unbanned. I don't really care about quality so much as you taking the time to think about it for a second.

Offline JohnAdams

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 10:46:25 pm »
+2
Unbanned. I don't really care about quality so much as you taking the time to think about it for a second.
im glad that you gave him, and all of us, the opportunity to think about the joke that he made

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 09:07:00 am »
+3
Also, George Washington was not a Republican.

Who claims that he is in this thread?

Offline hospitaller_frogger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 09:59:06 am »
This game is dumb.  Making people write unban essays is even dumbererer.  Admins take this stuff too seriously.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 10:04:12 am »
Who claims that he is in this thread?

No one, it was merely an observation as I found his Avatar combined with his text underneath it to be humorous, as GW had notable differing ideals from that of the Republican Party.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 10:20:44 am »
+6
Hah what. I say he should write his OWN essay instead of just ripping the second search result from google.

http://resistracism.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/internet-racism/
Monkeys!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 10:29:18 am »
+2
Hah what. I say he should write his OWN essay instead of just ripping the second search result from google.

http://resistracism.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/internet-racism/

OWNED HARD

8 bans, now copying an essay to get an easy unban.
Perma ban this fucker, clearly he hasn't learned shit.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:33:41 am by Vibe »

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 10:48:03 am »
+1
OWNED HARD

8 bans, now copying an essay to get an easy unban.
Perma ban this fucker, clearly he hasn't learned shit.

Considering the fact that he did nothing wrong in the first place, I don't think there was a lesson to learn anyway. That is unless you see wanting the chinese to invade mexico to stop the drug cartel as a bad thing.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 10:55:53 am »
Considering the fact that he did nothing wrong in the first place, I don't think there was a lesson to learn anyway. That is unless you see wanting the chinese to invade mexico to stop the drug cartel as a bad thing.

>> 8 bans <<

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 10:56:27 am »
+1
you americans are so full of win  :mrgreen:

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 11:02:34 am »
+4
No one, it was merely an observation as I found his Avatar combined with his text underneath it to be humorous, as GW had notable differing ideals from that of the Republican Party.

Actually republicanism has nothing to do with the republican party. Perhaps reading a book before insulting someone would help.