1 (worst)
50 (38.5%)
5 (3.8%)
11 (8.5%)
7 (5.4%)
5 (best)
57 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Author Topic: [Unban Essay] How a non-racist remark can be marked racist  (Read 9362 times)

Offline FF_GeorgeWashington

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
  • Die hard supporter of Republicanism.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United States of America
  • Game nicks: Angrysully, FF_GeorgeWashington
+17
How a non-racist remark can in fact be labeled racist by a higher authority and therefore be marked as evil racism on the internet.  Whether this is called the evils of internet racism or the evils of admin corruptness we will never fully understand but here below lies an adventure that one like yourself can take to explore the very foundations of the racism that plagues our internet today.  Come, take my hand and together like us explore down this hole of untold mystery and by the end of this long journey, you're persona, nay, your very soul will be touched in such an untold manner that you will feel yourself uplifted to such heights that one believes an angel has made them divine.

Internet racism is nothing new.   At one time, many internet users subscribed to the notion that faceless interaction would lead to a decline in racism.  It was said that on the internet everybody is equal.  Since we can’t see each other’s faces, the only way we can judge others is by the content of their character.  It was just another version of colorblindness.  The colorblind ideology is linked to racism.  My first experience with colorblind racism was on a gardening forum, of all places.  And what I tended to notice was that white people didn’t assume other folks at the keyboard were a multi-hued group, all of whom were equal.  They tended instead to assume everybody on the other end was white.  And they posted accordingly.  Now you wouldn’t think that a gardening forum would be a hotbed of racism, would you?  But what I found was that there were so many subtle and not-so-subtle racist remarks towards people of color.   (Not to mention all those other  -isms.)  What happened if you (I) mentioned anything?  What’s the matter, you can’t take a joke? You’re the real racist, injecting racism where it doesn’t exist!  It’s not racist, you just don’t understand …  And then you know who the bad guy is.  It’s the person who points out the racism.  No matter how kindly or sensitively it’s done.  No matter how thoughtfully difficult issues are explained.  Because everybody else was just having fun.  Except for you.  Yeah, it was the beginning of We heard it before.  For the most part, I previously thought about internet racism as being fueled by anonymity.  Take a look at the comments sections of news sites.  Even when there is a little blip that reads something like Blah blah blah we value freedom of speech and reasoned discourse blah blah blah no racist or sexist or any other kind of ist will be tolerated. And then directly following that is usually a bunch of -ist comments.  Sometimes it’s because free speech is privileged above preventing racist harm. But sometimes it’s because the racism isn’t even recognized.  But then came the popularity of social media sites like myspace and Facebook and twitter.  Which blows my “anonymity” theory right out of the water.  There’s been a lot of racist tweeting going on, from politicians to has-been celebrities to sportswriters.  Facebook is a known site for college racists.  But if the racist perpetrator attached his or her name to racism, what does that mean? Does it mean that they didn’t care about it? Or that they didn’t think about it? Or that they knew that within their circle everybody else would agree?  Or maybe even that they were proud of it?  Sometimes I wonder about the constant reinforcement of racist ideology through the internet.  It can permeate your brain through the constant white framing of the media.  It can attack you when you’re least aware, like when you are happily reading something interesting only to be slapped by a sudden burst of surprise racism.  It can be vicarious racism.  It can trigger.  Honestly, I think sometimes I should put a trigger warning on the whole damn thing.  Maybe the open racism on the internet is a wake-up call to all of us.  We thought it was about those trolls who hid in dark places.  But instead we find out it’s everybody.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Re: [Unban Essay] How a non-racist remark can be marked racist
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:13:23 pm »
+4
Unironically interesting subject, with many the same points I've been trying to make in the most recent "Should saying my old friend be allowed?" thread in General Discussion here

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,28604.0.html

As members of an "online community" I think we should treat our actions and enforcement of anti-discriminatory standards with some.. common sense sometimes.  Instead, "racism" or "sexism" seems to be ignored 90 percent of the time, even something I am guilty of, due to my belief in freedom of speech, and usually assuming someone is either being misguided, or being playful.  When there is actual malcontent behind words, to harass an individual, or truly denigrate a people, I think action is justifiable.

However in this case I think people were playing the "protector of racial equality" card as an excuse to ban someone they had a predisposed judgement of.  Pre-judged.  Prejudiced.  Who really was the prejudiced one, in this ban?

A good essay that shows actual critical thinking while addressing the issues at hand.  GeorgeWashington can be a troll but I consider him a good player and funny dude, and like having him on the servers.

give me liberty or give me permaban~`
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:17:29 pm »
For the record, George has 8 bans, 5 of them this year alone.

Just an FYI.

Offline JohnAdams

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FF_JohnAdams
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:22:40 pm »
+2
In context, what George said was pretty clearly meant as a joke, and you would have to be ridiculously thin-skinned to take it as anything other than that.
For the record, George has 8 bans, 5 of them this year alone.

Just an FYI.
If you want to permaban for past history then permaban him for past history, stop thinking up ridiculous excuses

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 08:22:52 pm »
+5
Mexican is a nationality, not a race. It's just like how bleeding heart librals call people who insult islam or another religion "racist". I see no racism in what he said and honestly I don't see why he was banned.

If he had said that he wished a bunch of chinks could invade mexico and kill all those dirty beaners - then yeah that would have been racist but he didn't say that.

Muted? Yeah sure that's fine. This is what any admin with half a brain cell would have done.
Banned? Are you retarded? banning someone for saying something that you don't like?

That admin that banned this guy needs his admin rights taken away.

+1 from me.

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 08:30:12 pm »
Mexican is a nationality, not a race. It's just like how bleeding heart librals call people who insult islam or another religion "racist". I see no racism in what he said and honestly I don't see why he was banned.

If he had said that he wished a bunch of chinks could invade mexico and kill all those dirty beaners - then yeah that would have been racist but he didn't say that.

Muted? Yeah sure that's fine. This is what any admin with half a brain cell would have done.
Banned? Are you retarded? banning someone for saying something that you don't like?

That admin that banned this guy needs his admin rights taken away.

+1 from me.

Banned for 30 days btw

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 08:33:13 pm »
+8
Good unban essay though I don't think you deserved one in the first place, like John Adams said if it's cause of your past history that you keep getting banned that should be the reason for the essay, not remarks that are the same level as what 1/2 the people who play cRPG say.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 08:33:33 pm »
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:34:57 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline JohnAdams

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 08:35:51 pm »
+6
Oh look, his buddy troll.
Name a time I've trolled anyone over anything in the past month I've been back. Just wearing the FF tags doesn't automatically make me a huge troll, though I really don't take issue with people poking fun at and talking shit to some of the more thin-skinned people who play this game.

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 08:37:49 pm »
+4

Actually, FF_JohnAdams is a respected player and one of the only FF members who hasn't trolled at all.  You should refrain from flaming another person in this thread or don't post.  This is an unban essay for myself, not a flame thread on players.  If you can't contain yourself from doing so, I will report to you to a moderator.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 08:39:48 pm »
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:40:57 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline JohnAdams

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 08:43:11 pm »
+3
How about kicking me every time I tried to shoot a week or so ago, interrupting my attack animation? I then turned around, drew an arrow in frustration and pointed it at you to give you the hint "Stop kicking me" and then accidently released (meant to hit RMB then release LMB, and ended up doing it the other way around) and blew you away. Still not sorry for that, but I sure as hell remember it. I remember a lot of complaints on TS about you griefing the entire server that night.

Interrupting my attack animations is what I call trolling.
You were aiming at the last guy alive on the enemy team, who was currently getting ganged by at least 2 people on our team with more on the way. If that's enough to troll the entire server, then I really don't know what to say. I was just fucking around, it's not as if the situation was super serious and I cost us the round.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:44:33 pm by JohnAdams »

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 08:44:23 pm »
+1
How about kicking me every time I tried to shoot a week or so ago, interrupting my attack animation? I then turned around, drew an arrow in frustration and pointed it at you to give you the hint "Stop kicking me" and then accidently released (meant to hit RMB then release LMB, and ended up doing it the other way around) and blew you away. Still not sorry for that, but I sure as hell remember it. I remember a lot of complaints on TS about you griefing the entire server that night.

Interrupting my attack animations is what I call trolling.

Your essay is rubbish, as I mentioned in my previous post.

As we can tell by you posts that you do nothing but troll/flame others without properly thinking through, I reported you to the mods.  You need to stop acting so immature and stop posting unless you have a serious answer to post.  As I said above, this is to comment on my ban, this is not a flame war and I hope the mods intervene if you continue otherwise.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 08:45:52 pm »
As I said above, this is to comment on my ban, this is not a flame war and I hope the mods intervene if you continue otherwise.

Indeed, and I did comment on the ban itself, two thirds of my original post were entirely about the original post and poster.

Essay was too hard to read with the gigantic paragraph at the end, and the altogether dry reading.

Also, George Washington was not a Republican.

After that, I am merely responding to you and John Adams.

I am sorry but I don't think it was a very well written essay.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 08:46:22 pm »
+10
I don't particularly like Georgewashington as a player but the essay is reasonable (if not well formatted) and from what I could gather, his ban was on pretty thin grounds anyway.  4.

I think a relevant offshoot of this is misuse of the word "racism".

Hating Mexicans is not racism any more than hating Americans would be racism.  "Mexican" is not a race.  "American" is not a race.  (The majority ethnicity in Mexico is called mestizo and covers most of central and some of south America.)

The term for someone who hates Mexicans would be "bigot", not "racist".

I would like for the admin who administered the ban to write a minimum 500 word essay on the difference between bigotry and racism with a particular focus on how admins should handle instances of bigotry.  Certainly instances of anti-American bigotry go ignored on a regular basis.  This is probably because most Americans don't care (and are used to it) but nevertheless, if national bigotry is going to be treated the same as racism, then we're going to need a lot more bans.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde