Author Topic: Fall damage adjustments.  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
Fall damage adjustments.
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:18:35 am »
+10
So, I got to thinking that agility should reduce fall damage, if only by a little bit, I propose that for every 1 point in agility 1% of fall damage is negated, my reasoning behind why this should happen at all and the figure I've stated goes thusly:

A character's stats are supposed to reflect a lifetime's worth of training towards those skills. So a high agility character has done a lot of work in regards to aspects relating to agility - running, jumping, landing, flexibility (which also leads me to wonder if the jump height should be more for agi characters but that's a topic for another thread). We already see this effect in the running speed of agi characters, but would it not stand to reason that a character who's learned to run quickly would also have learned how to fall from slightly higher places without taking as much damage as those who's spent all day lifting weights in the gym?

Anyone who's studied gymnastics or martial arts at all will know that one of the earliest things you learn to do is how to take a fall, especially in gymnastics since you tend to fall from greater heights than with martial arts. While I'm not suggesting that in the middle ages (or whatever time period this is supposed to be set) that we had things like parkour, at least we should give them credit for their years of hard work and not have them land in the same way that a bucket of bolts would do, no?

So, my reasoning behind a 1% per agility point reduction? Simple really, firstly that 1% is an easy number to implement. Secondly that even the biggest agi-whore with 3/39 would only have a 39% damage reduction from any fall - and any drop that is large enough to kill an agi whore isn't going to be massively effected by losing 39% of it's damage - maybe they would survive where they wouldn't have before, but I rather doubt that after taking a large fall which would have (pre-adjustments) killed them, any agi-whore is going to be in a position to take more than one (maybe two) hits from even the weakest character.

So there it is, there's my proposal. Constructive criticism encouraged.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: Fall damage adjustments.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:20:39 pm »
+1
Good idea, but we'd have to make some adjustments. 

For example, almost everyone in the game has at least 12 agi...so that would mean they all get 12% reduction in fall damage, nerfing fall damage all around.

So, I suggest  making all points of agility over 12 get 1% reduction in fall damage, or something like that.  So that way someone with 15 agi gets 3% reduction in fall damage, but someone with 21 agi gets 9% reduction in fall damage.  If you have 12 agi or 3 agi, fall damage is the same.

This would help balance the game because having more points in agi would provide a very slight passive bonus (like str does already).  Plus it would make things more interesting, even if only by a little bit.

Since this would help balance, and "realism" is a secondary reason (that doesn't hold much weight with the devs or majority of players) you might want to consider re-posting this capital idea in the balance section. :)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:27:05 pm by Garison »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 05:08:48 pm »
+6
I think the fall damage from high up is pretty good, but I think the threshold between no/little damage from a fall and almost all of your health is too small of a window.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:44 pm »
I like this, perhaps a similar thing could be done with the speed reduction of running up hills. Agility based players can get seriously ganked on the more hilly maps. Hell, I'd like to see this reduced for everyone.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 10:41:12 am »
Ninjas can fall safely to the ground without being injure...the way of ninja

Offline Renten

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 05:02:45 am »
I actually feel that fall damage should go from not doing much damage, say 1/4 of your bar straight to effectively killing you. Mostly since when you land on your feet you go from pulling a muscle or spraining an ankle straight to crippling damage (broken bones, torn ligaments).

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:08:11 am »
+3
I think the fall damage from high up is pretty good, but I think the threshold between no/little damage from a fall and almost all of your health is too small of a window.

This. I don't even think this only belongs in the realism board, but the Game Balance Discussion one even. Fall damage in Native was wacky, falling all the way out of a castle and losing maybe ten percent of your health, and that was rightfully changed. However small falls, 10 feet (about 3 meters), do waaaay too much damage in cRPG, in my opinion.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Herra Hakkarainen

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 06:13:11 am »
This. I don't even think this only belongs in the realism board, but the Game Balance Discussion one even. Fall damage in Native was wacky, falling all the way out of a castle and losing maybe ten percent of your health, and that was rightfully changed. However small falls, 10 feet (about 3 meters), do waaaay too much damage in cRPG, in my opinion.
I used to jump from around 5 meters to concrete and didn't get injured at all in real life.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 04:17:49 pm »
It depends.  I broke my foot jumping from a 10 foot fall (barefoot) on concrete, I had done it 100 times before without issue.  Also if you have an extra 40-80lbs on you when you fall it's going to be more pressure on your joints.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 06:03:56 pm »
It depends.  I broke my foot jumping from a 10 foot fall (barefoot) on concrete, I had done it 100 times before without issue.  Also if you have an extra 40-80lbs on you when you fall it's going to be more pressure on your joints.

You can never have enough pressure on your joints.

Eh smoking baby?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 06:11:38 pm »
lol i see what you did there.  and yes, you can.  if you roll a j too tight it won't hit...stick with blunts and you won't have to worry about burning up in 2 mins.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 07:06:36 pm »
+3
What really stinks is jumping off a bridge into a river only to die from fall damage!
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 07:41:26 pm »
Buff Katana
Turtles

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 03:52:16 am »
+7
What really stinks is jumping off a bridge into a river only to die from fall damage!

What also stinks is that if you jump off a tower and land on top of a dude, the other dude walks away unscathed.

I want knockdown and heavy blunt damage whenever I land on someone. Buff my flying attempt shenanigans!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 03:05:38 am »
What also stinks is that if you jump off a tower and land on top of a dude, the other dude walks away unscathed.

I want knockdown and heavy blunt damage whenever I land on someone. Buff my flying attempt shenanigans!
YES! Torpedo Jumper class!
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia