1 (worst)
65 (45.5%)
9 (6.3%)
10 (7%)
6 (4.2%)
5 (best)
53 (37.1%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: Unban Essay: Straight Outta Compton  (Read 7311 times)

Offline Rusty_Shacklefjord

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: One Man Army
  • Game nicks: Erik_Magnusson
Unban Essay: Straight Outta Compton
« on: December 31, 2011, 07:34:39 am »
+11
Otherwise known as:

Fuck the Police

I just received a perma-ban for the grievous crime of disagreeing with an admin.

I was in the NA (Official) forum expressing my feelings regarding the heavy-handed rule of cRPG admins, and was perma-banned by Tears of Destiny. It's my understanding that 'chat abuse' is against server rules, which Tears was happy to remind me of. Apparently, in his opinion, my disagreeable attitude was abusive. I'm now stating that Tears' ban-happy attitude is abusive to me, an opinion that I could have backed up with reasonable arguments if he hadn't locked the thread and denied me the opportunity to do so. For this transgression, I was instantly subjected to a perma-ban.

My point here being, of course, that 'disrespect' is subjective, and that Tears' ignorant and tyrannical administration is both immoral and unjustified. I understand that cRPG is not held to the same standards as the U.S. constitution - but it should be. Suppression of free speech is, again, immoral, and frankly I find it to be very offensive. I'm not really a nice person. I don't feel the need to censor myself in order to pander to idiots like Tears, and for this reason I'm sometimes disliked. That's completely fine. It's his right to dislike me - just as it's my right to be unlikable.

The internet is not a nice place. The world is not a nice place. I wasn't teamwounding. I wasn't committing hate crimes. I wasn't even breaking 'the rules.' My only crime is in offending this little girl's delicate sensibilities. That's right; all I did was disagree with one power-hungry admin, who couldn't stand the thought that he might be wrong about something. I could write a book about why censorship is wrong, and I might have to if this trend of corrupt and idiotic administration in cRPG keeps up - but for now, I'd like to save us all a little time and just ask that Tears (and any other overly strict admins) be relieved of their positions and subjected to the same sort of unjustified ban that they have subjected so many others to.

I posted a likeness of the above text in another thread that was very similar to this one. So similar, in fact, that my message still applied. It seems that idiotic administrators abound in cRPG.

He cites SEVEN offenses, most of which I explicitly remember, and most of which were false. For example: I seem to have three counts of leeching on my record, but have never once leeched. In fact, I can remember one such "offense" explicitly. I'd fallen off of a bridge into a deep moat on a siege map and become trapped therein. Due to poor map design, I was unable to make my way out, and was forced to stew in another's shortcomings for the remainder of the round. I expressed my disgust in the public chat, but was unseen by the admin. Shortly thereafter, he leapt from the bridge above and banned me before even reaching the ground. In hindsight I realize that I could have committed suicide by changing to the 'spectator' faction, but at the time I had no idea. I certainly received no such recommendation, and no warning. I had no chance to rebut my position, as always seems to be the case with cRPG admins. Ban first, and ignore any questions is their motto. I was also accused of exploiting, which was eventually proven, in this very forum, to be a false claim. Someone claimed that I had intentionally used a pike on horseback, a glitch that I, at the time, did not even know existed. During the game in which this occurred an admin warned me and I immediately dropped the pike, quickly explaining the situation lest I be banned by the zealous fool. Most of the other 'offenses' follow in this vein: hasty accusations by admins that should know better, but don't.

I understand that rules are important. I don't want to be teamkilled any more than anyone else. However, there is a point where enforcement of the rules becomes excessive and even harmful. In my opinion, cRPG would do just fine without any admins at all. I think that, for the vast majority of cases, player-moderated bans and the QML function are all that are needed. I have no problem with reasonable rules. In fact, I follow them very closely, now that I've had a chance to read and understand them. It's the irresponsible and excessive enforcement that I disagree with. This essay, by its very existence, is evidence of how unreasonable the cRPG admins are. I am nothing but civil in how I voice my opinions on this forum, yet I've been met with nothing but hostility by the admins who are supposed to be my fellows. This essay evidences my respect for my fellow players - but it seems that they have no respect for me.

(abbreviated to ~850 words, because I got my message across in a concise manner and FUCK THE POLICE)

Edit: @Canary, sorry about the misdirected anger. I assumed that you were involved since you were the one posting in chat. This would be normally be grounds for a pithy remark about how admins often ban with no explanation, but I wouldn't want to hurt Tears' feelings.
(lol)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:22:33 am by Rusty_Shacklefjord »
I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: I couldn't post this in Unban Essays so I'm posting it here.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 07:41:51 am »
He cites SEVEN offenses, most of which I explicitly remember, and most of which were false.
Care to revise? You only listed two of this "majority" and you still have 150 or so words to spare.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:53:53 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't post this in Unban Essays so I'm posting it here.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:58:18 am »
+2
Care to revise?

(click to show/hide)

see:
"For example: I seem to have three counts of leeching on my record, but have never once leeched. In fact, I can remember one such "offense" explicitly. I'd fallen off of a bridge into a deep moat on a siege map and become trapped therein. Due to poor map design, I was unable to make my way out, and was forced to stew in another's shortcomings for the remainder of the round. I expressed my disgust in the public chat, but was unseen by the admin. Shortly thereafter, he leapt from the bridge above and banned me before even reaching the ground. In hindsight I realize that I could have committed suicide by changing to the 'spectator' faction, but at the time I had no idea. I certainly received no such recommendation, and no warning. I had no chance to rebut my position, as always seems to be the case with cRPG admins. Ban first, and ignore any questions is their motto. I was also accused of exploiting, which was eventually proven, in this very forum, to be a false claim. Someone claimed that I had intentionally used a pike on horseback, a glitch that I, at the time, did not even know existed. During the game in which this occurred an admin warned me and I immediately dropped the pike, quickly explaining the situation lest I be banned by the zealous fool. Most of the other 'offenses' follow in this vein: hasty accusations by admins that should know better, but don't."

Sorry, but I've played hundreds or thousands of games and, shockingly, I'm not able to remember every single one of them. In fact, I don't even remember having a character named Mas_Oyama. That first teamwounding offense might have been legitimate, although at the time I was a noob that didn't understand the rules and it was probably a revenge TW. The bans from Ganner were probably also unfounded, as I remember him being very unreasonable and unprofessional - just like you.

Anyway, you're just nitpicking. The fact remains that I'm a serious player that follows the rules. I'm pretty skilled, and would probably beat most of you admins in a fair 1v1 duel. My presence is enriching, and I've only faced such persecution because of my 'rudeness' towards admins.

Edit: To give you an idea of the reasons for my being banned in the past, you only have to look at this thread. I haven't broken any rules, but I'm sure that this will still be looked back on as evidence against me if I'm ever banned again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:02:00 am by Rusty_Shacklefjord »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
Re: Unban Essay: Straight Outta Compton
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 09:51:03 am »
This would be normally be grounds for a pithy remark about how admins often ban with no explanation, but I wouldn't want to hurt Tears' feelings.
(lol)

I'm not going to give you more then a map and a half of warnings, which in retrospect was far too much, considering you personally received warnings during the course of several consecutive rounds. Just because you don't agree with a warning does not mean I did not give it.

Anywho, someone can edit a poll in and people can vote, now that this is in the correct forum. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:53:02 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 10:14:54 am »
an essay ban is excessive anyway, only 2 of his bans were for ingame shittery and one of them was from smoothrich which is like an anti ban, really should be a -1 ban on his record
FREE ALLERS

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 05:01:33 pm »
+1
I'm not going to give you more then a map and a half of warnings, which in retrospect was far too much, considering you personally received warnings during the course of several consecutive rounds. Just because you don't agree with a warning does not mean I did not give it.

Anywho, someone can edit a poll in and people can vote, now that this is in the correct forum. Enjoy!

YOU didn't give any warnings, which was the point that I was trying to make. Or if you did I didn't see them since you weren't posting in the official admin pinktext. I was still under the impression that we were having a friendly discussion about censorship when I was suddenly censored.

At the very least I would have appreciated a "Johannes_Liechtenauer, I'm banning you for X hours for abusing chat," so that I knew who had banned me, for what, and for how long.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:50:55 pm by Rusty_Shacklefjord »

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 09:52:13 pm »
Also, it's probably irrelevant now, but I just remembered what one of the other leeching accusations was for.

Mas_Oyama was a STF samurai that I made a few months ago. I sold my peasant gear and spent my initial 10k on a katana and some clothes. The katana kept breaking and I didn't have any money to fix it, so it was rendered unusable after a few rounds. I didn't have any other weapons, so I was forced to go without and do my best to pick something up during the round. Ganner accused me of leeching, and I explained that I didn't have any usable weapons. I assured him that I be able would repair my katana within one or two rounds, but he deemed this unacceptable and told me to purchase another weapon on the website. I complied, spending most of my money on a practice sword and needlessly prolonging the time it would take to fix my katana. I informed him of this but was still banned before the round ended and I could spawn with it. That's right - I was banned for something that I literally could not help, even after doing my best to comply with the admin's demands. Yet another instance of admins in cRPG being unreasonable and enforcing the rules in an overly strict manner.

With terrible experiences like this, is it any wonder that I dislike the admins?

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 11:48:13 pm »
+1
So... is somebody going to unban me?

I've been wrongfully banned for 2 days now, even after going out of my way to write this essay.

Should I just start PMing admins or what?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:19:53 am »
PM someone to make a poll, it will then be voted on (a 1 to 5 poll). Or, if you can, edit in the poll yourself to this thread (should be top right, Add Poll)

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 12:32:06 am »
There's no option to add a poll.

Who should I PM? And how long does the poll have to run before I'm unbanned?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 12:33:13 am »

Offline Smiling Daemon

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 02:45:21 am »
+1
Sorry, but I've played hundreds or thousands of games and, shockingly, I'm not able to remember every single one of them. In fact, I don't even remember having a character named Mas_Oyama... Anyway, you're just nitpicking. The fact remains that I'm a serious player that follows the rules. I'm pretty skilled, and would probably beat most of you admins in a fair 1v1 duel. My presence is enriching, and I've only faced such persecution because of my 'rudeness' towards admins.

How do you play thousands of games and not know the no-leeching rule? If you were totally new to the game and community I can understand, but thousands of games make you veteran already! If you are also a "serious player that follows the rules", why break the no-leeching rule? I am also sure Tears would love to duel you as well, please purchase a bow and some arrows.

Mas_Oyama was a STF samurai that I made a few months ago... I was banned for something that I literally could not help, even after doing my best to comply with the admin's demands. Yet another instance of admins in cRPG being unreasonable and enforcing the rules in an overly strict manner.

I am glad you are able to remember your own character's names now. Yes you could've helped yourself by leaving the server, buying the sword, then come back with it. Admins are unpaid people who have to withstand insults, accusations, and flowery curses often time leaving their enjoyable game experience just to make sure other people can enjoy their's. A little cooperation on your part in the future would save you, the admins, and this whole community's time.

Offline Zaren

• Count
  • Renown: 162
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Zaren_Astralis
  • IRC nick: Zaren
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 03:51:07 am »
^this
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:52:27 am by blacktiger28 »

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 04:24:16 am »
How do you play thousands of games and not know the no-leeching rule? If you were totally new to the game and community I can understand, but thousands of games make you veteran already! If you are also a "serious player that follows the rules", why break the no-leeching rule? I am also sure Tears would love to duel you as well, please purchase a bow and some arrows.

I am glad you are able to remember your own character's names now. Yes you could've helped yourself by leaving the server, buying the sword, then come back with it. Admins are unpaid people who have to withstand insults, accusations, and flowery curses often time leaving their enjoyable game experience just to make sure other people can enjoy their's. A little cooperation on your part in the future would save you, the admins, and this whole community's time.

Of course I know that there's a rule against leeching. In fact, I've read the rules very carefully several times, so that I could try to avoid breaking them. I learned very early on how unreasonably strict the cRPG admins are with their enforcement.

I said before that from the three on my record I can remember two specific instances where I was wrongfully banned for leeching. The operative word being wrongfully, as in undeserved and unwarranted. Even if the third was legitimate (doubtful, considering the others), it's ONE offense. This, out of hundreds of hours of play. In both cases I was at my computer, had been 'leeching' for only a very short time - under 5 minutes - and would have resumed normal play in a matter of seconds. It was entirely unintentional, and even if I technically wasn't contributing to the team for those few seconds, that hardly justifies a ban.

As for the admins: they volunteer to do the job, presumably with the understanding of what it entails. This would be admirable, if not for the fact that they're almost universally bad administrators. Oh yeah, badmins abound in cRPG. Overly strict enforcement of the rules is a BAD thing, and is only supported by people too stupid and hateful to understand the concept of circumstance.

I'd elaborate further, but criticizing admins and explaining the dangers of their heavy-handed methods was the cause of this ban in the first place, and I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings any more than I already have.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:28:36 am by Rusty_Shacklefjord »

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »
+2
You do realize you completely missed the topic you were supposed to write about, right?
Has something to do with basic respect and all.

1000 word Unban essay: Why rules and respecting your fellow players is important.

This part:
In my opinion, cRPG would do just fine without any admins at all.
was hilarious though.
I will see if we can get a weekend where no admin does anything and polls are enabled :mrgreen:

It's nothing new that people instantly jump on admins who use their powers in any way and start insulting them or accusing them of power tripping.
If you have complains about admins, use the feedback forum.
In any case you are clearly sitting at the shorter end of the lever so trying to push it even further is just not the smart move.
Dealing with everyone who does that would completely consume the admins' time on the server and would hinder them in doing their job.

If you feel like the rules suck or the enforcement of them is too harsh you can feel free to write that up in the suggestions forum.
Put a poll so we can check how many people actually think that way and how many of those got banned once or more :mrgreen: