Poll

Would you like to see...

These changes be added to CRPG.
16 (30.8%)
Nothing happen. (Because they are balanced) <--- lol k
32 (61.5%)
My own recommendations implemented. (That I have posted)
4 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: October 30, 2011, 12:07:45 am

Author Topic: (EZ MODE) Please address polearm stabs (Mainly spear/pikes)  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
(EZ MODE) Please address polearm stabs (Mainly spear/pikes)
« on: October 16, 2011, 12:05:35 am »
+5
Alright so spears and pike class weapons are just way too out of control now and it needs to be addressed.

I want to just get out of the way right now that no I can not possibly block down, I have no idea how to do that or what buttons to click on the mouse in order to do it.

Now that the formalities are out of the way, I would like to discuss spear and pike class weapons and their EZ mode battlefield functionality.

As it stands now, one handed weapons are much more difficult to stab with compared to spears and pikes BECAUSE 1h weapons get stuck on everything, if you are too close it stops the attack ect ect. Pikes and spears on the other hand have the hit box for the stab all the way across the weapon and are able to stab past a person and then move the weapon to score a hit way too easily (and highly unrealistically). Combine the speed, damage, stun, and length you easily get the most effective melee weapon overall. Even with 6 wpf in polearm I can pick up a spear or pike and start scoring kills left and right.

What I would like to see is that the spears hotbox for stabs is only on the tip of the weapon, the rest of the weapon should also have a hitbox but not be able to score damage from it.

Moving a pike or spear while thrusting is also completely bs, these weapons should not be able to change the trajectory of their attacks once released (At least the thrust).

Lastly I think that stabbing at a shield with a spear or pike should cause a weapon delay after the swing. This does two things, it adds a melee counter to these weapons, and it also makes having a shield more viable on the battlefield. From a realism point of view it would be as if the weapon got stuck in the shield for a few moments. (I know realistically that the shield and the spear would both be out of commission if the weapon were to get stuck.)

So what does the community think of these suggestions to spear/pike class weapons?

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: (EZ MODE) Please address polearm stabs (Mainly spear/pikes)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 12:31:01 am »
+4
Lastly I think that stabbing at a shield with a spear or pike should cause a weapon delay after the swing.
So what does the community think of these suggestions to spear/pike class weapons?

I'm not a fan of the pike wiggle but its really the only way to get real solid hits with these weapons.

just FYI, spears cannot block overheads after thrusting into shields...thats somewhat of a built in counter just so you know. use it to your advantage, lop some pikie head off.

the main problems I see...

1) Awlpike is overpowered and thus now accounts for about 75% of all spear users, not counting dedicated longspear/pike users
2) Polestun needs to be removed
3) Regular spear needs to rear horses

SOLUTIONS
1) Restrict turning ability when weapon is thrust (either very small turning ability or none at all).  Idealy, the length of the weapon would dictate how much you can turn with it..the longer the less turning ability.  Increase length of weapons by 50-100 more to offset this restriction
2) Reduce dmg on awlpike significantly to bring it into line with other weapons like warspear/red tassel.
3) Disable ability to attack while jumping with any weapon 150 length or longer
4) Bring polearm weapon stun into line with other weapons.  Ridiculous that someone can dance around you and keep you permastunned.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:32:37 am by Digglez »

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:44:45 am »
+2
Agree with everyone above me. I use the awlpike and even at 90 wpf, I feel as though I can outspeed anything I want even though I release after the opponent started his swing.

I don't need to properly aim at my opponent because even a tickle will stun them for 1-2 seconds, more than enough for a teammate to cross a large portion of the map to hit the enemy.

Fix please. Otherwise I'll still be utilizing this powerful weapon (I'll use it even when nerfed).

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:46:47 am »
+6
So, your problem is that a weapon type that IS specializing in stabbing, is good for stabbing?

:lol:

I agree about the hitbox problems, but those weps should be the kings of stabbing.

Your super-duper 1h sword with super forcefield shouldn't be awesome at everything. Yet they are.. almost.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:48:31 am by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:51:09 am »
+1
Lastly I think that stabbing at a shield with a spear or pike should cause a weapon delay after the swing. This does two things, it adds a melee counter to these weapons, and it also makes having a shield more viable on the battlefield. From a realism point of view it would be as if the weapon got stuck in the shield for a few moments. (I know realistically that the shield and the spear would both be out of commission if the weapon were to get stuck.)

Quite one-sided for your 1h preferance.

You know what's bullshit? That shielders just shrug off axe hits like it's nothing, and continue to spam or facehug you.
I say add this only if there is also a delay for shielders when they get hit in their shields. When something huge hits that, it hurts your arm, or you need to heavily concentrate on deflecting it.

Obvious1hlobbyismisobvious.

Epic: My first double post ever. /champagne. 
Forgot to take the quote code out to modify. Silly me.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:55:36 am by Christo »

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:23:02 am »
Shrug off axe hits? My knightly heater breaks in 2-3 hits by an axe if the axe user holds properly. My shield breaks almost every match. Shields already block slower than without a shield it feels, so it's fine.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 02:09:11 am »
+3
I mean, he says that he wants spear-type weapons get "stunned" if they hit a shield, totally kicking the table, then this should work both ways.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 02:30:33 am »
+2
Quite one-sided for your 1h preferance.

You know what's bullshit? That shielders just shrug off axe hits like it's nothing, and continue to spam or facehug you.
I say add this only if there is also a delay for shielders when they get hit in their shields. When something huge hits that, it hurts your arm, or you need to heavily concentrate on deflecting it.

Obvious1hlobbyismisobvious.

Epic: My first double post ever. /champagne. 
Forgot to take the quote code out to modify. Silly me.  :mrgreen:

Yes it is "Obvious1hlobbyismisobvious" because currently 1h/shield is the least viable melee build imho. Only the husc gives you "forcefield" protection and currently it appears that range weapons can still hit me quite easily with my shield up (MP Knightly Heater). Throngs of spears with a bit of melee support that can virtually hit targets very far away from them quickly, stun them, and do devastating damage needs to be addressed. Getting even close enough to a pike is tough as a shielder since you move much slower, and being able to turn around, run a couple feet and jump spin stab with a weapon that long is just OP.

At the end of the day a shield gives you two major things, protection from range (hardly what I would call a counter to range) and the ability to block multiple enemies at once from a frontal arc.

The counter to shields are shield breakers, and crushthrough weapons, which counter shields much more effectively than shields counter range, so for the sake of utility shield needs to play a roll in countering some kind of melee weapon type to give it an appealing dynamic that would render it useful again.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 03:28:21 am »
Today, on my thrower with 1 polearm proficiency, I caught Beeper_of_Chaos between me and another guy, we were both using war spear, Beeper was polestunned in place until he died after about 10 hits.

Polestun is balanced and totally not overpowered or anything, keep it as is, please.

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 03:34:17 am »
My suggestion for now.

Just fix polestun.

Then people shall decide whether specific polearms might be too weak/strong, since polestun by itself affects so many items. I do think the awlpike is still crazy good. The thing about reducing speed/power, is that it won't matter as long as polestun is still in effect.

A few weeks ago,  I was using that thing at 1 wpf and it was still really helpful just because it was free polestun on people so my teammates can get kills on much more skilled opponents.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 03:37:54 am »
haha stun mechanic -- so lame.

stabs of all sorts are a piss off. They last too long and can drag into the opponent - that's polearms, swords, lances.

I think you are mostly full of poo when you equate shields vs range vs shield breakers.

I agree with remove stun option.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 03:59:00 am »
I think you are mostly full of poo when you equate shields vs range vs shield breakers.

What does shield counter then?

I'm just trying to compare different counters in the game to eachother.

Shields are deff not as good at countering range (their supposed role) as crushthrough weapons are at killing shielders. Not meaning to say nerf hammers or anything, just that the shield should be more effective at its purpose (or give it other roles to compensate).

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 05:34:03 am »

Shields are deff not as good at countering range (their supposed role) as crushthrough weapons are at killing shielders. Not meaning to say nerf hammers or anything, just that the shield should be more effective at its purpose (or give it other roles to compensate).
It's not their only supposed role - this has been covered ad nauseum.
You said crushthrough and shieldbreakers... crushthrough is not anti shield specifically - it will piss off anyone. Shield breakers take time.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 05:58:14 am »
It's not their only supposed role - this has been covered ad nauseum.
You said crushthrough and shieldbreakers... crushthrough is not anti shield specifically - it will piss off anyone. Shield breakers take time.

Okay I agree with your point, but there really is no definitive melee counter to long pikes, and if you use say the long awlpike you can get athletics 8 pretty easily if you go with PS5 and easily dance around your enemies.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 09:57:58 am »

The only thing shields are not good at is vs horses.