Poll

Should dead characters absorb hits for a small period of time?

Yes: Great idea MrShine, make love to me
307 (90.6%)
No: Terrible idea you shit-head
26 (7.7%)
I have a different (better) idea and here's why:
6 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 338

Author Topic: [WSE]Allow Dead Players to Absorb Hits Temporarily  (Read 9747 times)

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
Re: [WSE]Allow Dead Players to Absorb Hits Temporarily
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 05:52:14 am »
IMO Its not that much of a problem. You have to play in a more gaurded way when pulling a gank. I find if you try and group gank good players it back fires anyway, people rush in and team hit and block shots and then the gankee becomes the ganker.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 07:41:09 am »
i support but WSE is not a magic wand you know
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:42:17 am by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 12:02:28 pm »
+1
Sounds like an unnecessary work for devs.
Better solutions below:

-Don't be kill greedy,if 2 of your teammates fighting and seems like they are winning against one enemy , do not participate gangbang and avoid teamhits.

-Never shoot into a melee fight.Do not take risk to hit your teammate.

-You don't earn anything if you kill a guy in cRPG,killing the last enemy won't give you any bonuses i never understood why people take risk to hit/kill a teammate to finish off the last enemy.

-You don't do those retardic things above but your teammates do ?
You also have 1 solution for it which is running away from the scene.You don't have to kill that enemy, spare his life and let those raging kill greedy assholes finish him off if you don't want to take hits.

Simple isn't it ?

-

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 04:32:41 pm »
Better solutions below:

-Don't be kill greedy,if 2 of your teammates fighting and seems like they are winning against one enemy , do not participate gangbang and avoid teamhits.

-You don't earn anything if you kill a guy in cRPG,killing the last enemy won't give you any bonuses i never understood why people take risk to hit/kill a teammate to finish off the last enemy.

You also have 1 solution for it which is running away from the scene.You don't have to kill that enemy, spare his life and let those raging kill greedy assholes finish him off if you don't want to take hits.

Simple isn't it ?

-

Most people that are reading this suggestion probably do this. I know I intentionally hold attacks to position enemies for my team mates to hit, but not everyone does that. The whole, oh I finished your guy now you swing at his corpse and hit me almost killing me happens quite frequently & it would be nice if after you killed an enemy his ally archer couldn't potshot into him have the arrow ghost through his corpse and strike me.

All in all I support changing the instant-ghost corpse it is a great idea, but do not think it is 100% necessary.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 06:12:04 pm »
+1
i support but WSE is not a magic wand you know

I'm not expecting miracles or results by next week.  I do however think that with WSE in the picture this change would go a long way towards improving the overall gameplay experience of melee combat.

Better solutions below:
Maybe not high priority, but this isn't a superficial suggestion like adding new skins/voice chat options etc, this is (I feel) a legitimate gameplay improvement that could be done.  If it is too hard to implement or other pressing matters take priority that's life, but this is a suggestion forum for a reason, not a 'DEVS MUST IMPLEMENT NOW' forum.

Simple isn't it ?
-

I partially agree with you when you say "leave doomed enemies to teammates", but there are a lot of situations where you want to make sure someone goes from wounded to dead.   A wounded enemy can still kill your team; a dead enemy cannot.  This applies doubly so to some of the big name players that might actually survive a 2-4 on 1 fight if my teammates attacking him aren't very skilled.

But I think you are confusing my suggestion with teamhits in general.  Yes, ganging up on someone will increase the likelihood of teamwounding by accident.  I don't think that side of things should be changed, watch your swings watch your arrows yadayada.

I'm talking about the teamhits that come from swinging through a recently killed enemy that were accurate well aimed attacks that came a second too late (but given the importance of chaining attacks these weren't actually poorly aimed swings).  I see no reason why this change wouldn't be one for the better for everyone.  Poorly aimed swings and shots will still teamhit like they always have, but these accurate shots would have a small grace period.

Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 06:18:43 pm »
wow i must be crazy i thought this was slightly implemented like a second after death THEN they become transparent

.i suppose it would b nice too many times u have to jump  a good player and in the end u loose more health thing each other then him hitting u especially in the last strike of the mob
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Renten

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 06:30:26 pm »
Its okay to leave an average player to the gank, but a lot of the times its because the last few guys left could easily take out the rest of your team if they only come at them 1v1 or 2v1. I feel terrible when I know the other two guys are going to die if I don't join in, but that I'll likely hit them at least once if I do join. It goes the same for me though, get the heck in there and save me from those killing machines.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 06:36:25 pm »
Better solutions below:

Simple isn't it ?

-

It's not simple at all, because you are wrong. Only way to avoid hitting teammates through dead enemies is to make every fight 1v1. It's not "greedy" if you try to help your teammate by hitting the enemy..
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 07:15:13 pm »
So.... with that sugg :
We can't use meat shields anymore. Aka peasants getting onehitted, and you swinging before the ennemy finishes his strike, so being able to hit him freely.
This is, imo, a very good tactical slash, and if you had this dead players absorbing hits, then spammers will prevail. Just kill someone in front of you, other people will bounce off the corps, and you can continue spamming to get the other one.

So... or you make this "temporarily" VERY VERY small, so double hits will not result in tk, and we can still use the strategy mentionned above, or just no.

If you're killhungry, then karma will get you. Learn to know how many hits are needed, and to quickly block when the ennemy die, and this problem will be forgotten.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »
+2
If you're killhungry, then karma will get you. Learn to know how many hits are needed, and to quickly block when the ennemy die, and this problem will be forgotten.

Except there aren't hp meters over people's heads.  You have no way of knowing exactly how much life someone has remaining, nor how much damage your teammates are causing, nor how much damage that enemy took before he got surrounded by your teammates.  It's impossible to "learn to know how many hits are needed".  The best thing to do is take the swing if it's accurate: sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't and bonk a teammate through the corpse.

Also you said that peasant meat shields can't be used anymore...what?  If anything peasant meat shields will work better...their corpse will remain for a brief moment, so if two enemies were poking the peasant to death you won't get hit through the dying peasant's body - the body will protect you for a moment longer. 

I think you mean you can't swing through an immediately dead teammate to score a hit, to which I say GOOD. If you are positioned properly you should be in a position where your swing would cleanly hit the enemy anyways, and you should still connect before the enemy can recover from murdering the peasant next to you.  The same tactic works, just that you can't go through a teammate's body.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 07:47:27 pm »
Except there aren't hp meters over people's heads.  You have no way of knowing exactly how much life someone has remaining, nor how much damage your teammates are causing, nor how much damage that enemy took before he got surrounded by your teammates.  It's impossible to "learn to know how many hits are needed". 

Experience ? Looking at armor ? Knowing the name of the guy, if he heirloomed his armor, maybe his build ? INFORMATION ? Nothing is impossible, unless you're too lazy to analyse all the data, and just want to kill the guy with no tags in front of you. Then i'm sorry, there's nothing we can do for you.

I think you mean you can't swing through an immediately dead teammate to score a hit, to which I say GOOD. If you are positioned properly you should be in a position where your swing would cleanly hit the enemy anyways, and you should still connect before the enemy can recover from murdering the peasant next to you.  The same tactic works, just that you can't go through a teammate's body.
It's not the same tactic if it's different... duh...
I'm speaking of "hiding" behind  a teammate peasant (or an afk dude), so none of your swings can hit the ennemy without going through your teammate. But he can't reach you either, and he'll loose patience first, and kill the guy. Then you take that opportunity to strike at him, "through" the dead body.

Your suggestion will destroy this tactic, so we'll have to rely on the "usual" footwork to do for it.
Of course, i'm not completely against the idea as well. People can adapt. :mrgreen:
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2574
  • Infamy: 1981
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 07:50:42 pm »
Today I was hit by a slash from a horse which killed an archer standing in front of me (I took a lot less damage than I should). So even if dead body absorbs some damage it shouldn't absorb everything. Or what happened to me was just my imagination?

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 08:03:57 pm »
+2
Experience ? Looking at armor ? Knowing the name of the guy, if he heirloomed his armor, maybe his build ? INFORMATION ? Nothing is impossible, unless you're too lazy to analyse all the data, and just want to kill the guy with no tags in front of you. Then i'm sorry, there's nothing we can do for you.
Ok now you're just being silly :P

Even if you did make an enormous up-to-date spreadsheet on all c-RPG player builds, levels, armor (heirloomed etc), and were able to instantly recognize and recall these statistics everytime you were around your teammates and everytime you saw an enemy, there are still random factors such as:
-damage the enemy took before running into you that you have no way of knowing
-damage variation based on speed bonus, hit location, and general random deviation.

So yes, I'm saying it is absolutely 100% impossible for a human being playing c-RPG to feel confidant that they can take another swing on an enemy without swinging through a corpse, or holding off because they are sure the enemy will die from a teammate's swing.   

Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant of variables or is bullshitting.

It's not the same tactic if it's different... duh...
I'm speaking of "hiding" behind  a teammate peasant (or an afk dude), so none of your swings can hit the ennemy without going through your teammate. But he can't reach you either, and he'll loose patience first, and kill the guy. Then you take that opportunity to strike at him, "through" the dead body.

Your suggestion will destroy this tactic, so we'll have to rely on the "usual" footwork to do for it.
Of course, i'm not completely against the idea as well. People can adapt. :mrgreen:

Oh no you mean a tactic that occurs 0.001% of the time might require the player to move around the dying peasant to land the hit instead of swinging through him?  Oh lawd have mercy!

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 08:37:50 pm »
that would be nice

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 08:51:11 pm »
+1

Lololol...

So making dead bodies stop weapon isn't needed because people should be able to know how many times someone's been hit and how hard they've been hit and if they've heirloomed their armor and if they've recently respecced/retired and if they've been hit unfavorably and if the teammate you're attacking with will perhaps glance throwing off your calculations oh and obviously it's totally your own fault if you don't know all of this about every single player on the server. Silly you, you should've known that Mister X got hit two times half the map away from you and since he has 72 body armor and a total of 75 HP, you'll need exactly four hits to kill him given no speed bonus, three if you get a good speed bonus and six with unfavorable speed bonus.. oh wait, that's right, you'll also need to know the PS of your allies and if their weapon is heirloomed...

Edit: Let's not forget that weapons do random damage as well, hmm? The damage can be off by 15 or something, basically, on that random factor alone.

Tl;dr stop being silly.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:54:56 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.