Author Topic: Missing History Books  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
Re: Missing History Books
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 04:07:44 pm »
yeah... 
but the coolest thing about this thread is how its a perfect example  of how it doesnt matter what a thread is about,  it will be about something completely different sooner or later.  i wonder why the cav whine didnt start in her yet : )

Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bagge

• King
  • Renown: 1056
  • Infamy: 275
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: bagge
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 04:30:24 pm »
Read Conn Iggulden (something) series about Ghenghis Khan, they are epic.
I hope you guys get some sort of sticky balls deseases and smell like my armpits, sorry excusese for nolife fucking cunts you are.

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 04:00:34 am »
I've been reading a book called. Genghis Khan: Life, Death and Ressurection by John Man.
Its extremely interesting and filled with juicy facts and thoughts on the Mongolian culture, rather broad and is good to get your teeth into. While its not an old book or really missing at all, I recommend a read. Genghis Khan is alittle bit of a personal hero of mine, in the way that. A young boy raised amongst the constantly warring tribes of his people, rises up and unites them together to eventually grow and forge one of the biggest empires in the world.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:01:23 am by The_Angle »

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 12:08:40 pm »

Good books. Liked especially first one bout him ''Wolf of the Plains'' other ones were good too though.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 12:21:00 pm »
Recently read "Lords of the Bow" by Conn Iggulden, was a very good book about Genghis Khan :)

Offline bagge

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 04:24:57 pm »
Yeah, they are all awesome!

The most recent I read, Empire of Silver is also nice. You get to read alot of the Mongolian attacks on Russia. Cant wait til they release Conqueror in swedish.

Too bad Jochi got pwnt. He was my favourite, all tho his son Batu is a bad ass as well :wink:

I hope you guys get some sort of sticky balls deseases and smell like my armpits, sorry excusese for nolife fucking cunts you are.

Offline bagge

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 04:26:38 pm »
I've been reading a book called. Genghis Khan: Life, Death and Ressurection by John Man.
Its extremely interesting and filled with juicy facts and thoughts on the Mongolian culture, rather broad and is good to get your teeth into. While its not an old book or really missing at all, I recommend a read. Genghis Khan is alittle bit of a hero personal hero of mine, in the way that. A young boy raised amongst the constantly warring tribes of his people, rises up and unites them together to eventually grow and forge one of the biggest empires in the world.

Gonna read that one, thanks for the tip :)

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 05:39:00 pm »
Recently read "Lords of the Bow" by Conn Iggulden, was a very good book about Genghis Khan :)

Liked the part where they were storming a fortress/walls if i remember it right and they left shiny stuff/armors and a birdcage and.......(rest is spoiler and i shall not say moar!). Anyhow was an example of  a brilliant tactic by the fearsome Mongol horde.

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 01:55:12 am »
Gonna read that one, thanks for the tip :)
Hey, no problem man.

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 09:56:06 am »
Liked the part where they were storming a fortress/walls if i remember it right and they left shiny stuff/armors and a birdcage and.......(rest is spoiler and i shall not say moar!). Anyhow was an example of  a brilliant tactic by the fearsome Mongol horde.

Yeah, this was their first chinese wall attack, when they came out of the desert.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 10:47:24 am »

Hell read all Conn Ingulden's books. His Emperor series (about Julius Caesar) are some of my favourite historical fiction books. The Genghis Khan ones are very good as well. Fantastic author.

If we are going to go down the historical fiction road, I also love Bernard Cornwall's grail quest series (based around an English Longbowman) and David Gemmel's series based around Troy. David Gemmel died before finishing the final book in the series but I think his wife finished writing it for him based on his notes because it considered such amazing work. I still have to read that last one.

If you want something more architectural, Ken Follett's novels based on the construction of a cathedral in England are also very good. I think the first one is called 'Pillars of the Earth'.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:53:41 am by Overdriven »

Offline bagge

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 10:53:34 am »
Hell read all Conn Ingulden's books. His Emperor series (about Julius Caesar) are some of my favourite historical fiction books. The Genghis Khan ones are very good as well. Fantastic author.

If we are going to go down the historical fiction road, I also love Bernard Cornwall's grail quest series (based around an English Longbowman) and David Gemmel's series based around Troy. David Gemmel died before finishing the final book in the series but I think his wife finished writing it for him based on his notes because it considered such fantastic work.

If you want something more architectural, Ken Follett's novels based on the construction of a Cathedral in England are also very good. I think the first one is called 'Pillars of the Earth'.

Yeah, I've read them as well. They are epic

Offline Swahili_Zulu_Mon

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Great, Mighty Shaka
  • Faction: ZULU
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 01:42:50 pm »
No one seems to know anything really about the Byzantines, which is a shame, because it was probably the greatest empire that no one seems to know anything about (besides people who studied it in college).

Mighty Shaka Zulu

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 11:52:35 pm »
I think it's obvious that history books in the first line concentrate on topics linked to the own contry or on topics that strongly influenced the own country'S history. Guess that's why there areso many English language books about einstein/3rd Reich but literally nothing about the rest of Germany's history like the 30YW...

The same problem exists in every country I guess. I'm really into the US Civil War but it's very hard to get decent german-language books about this...   :(
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 02:08:06 pm »
No one seems to know anything really about the Byzantines, which is a shame, because it was probably the greatest empire that no one seems to know anything about (besides people who studied it in college).
Edward Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire has a large section on the ERE/Byzantines.