9 (8.5%)
3/5, Yeah, ntb mate
8 (7.5%)
4/5, Im impressed tbh
16 (15.1%)
5/5, Well, he got the point.
48 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: The Importance of Good Behaviour in Games.  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
The Importance of Good Behaviour in Games.
« on: July 31, 2011, 06:59:00 pm »
+2
EDIT: Well, it IS easy to press a choice button on the poll, but is it too much to ask for a brief piece of constructive criticism explaining WHY you disagree/dont apreciate/hate my essay? Its easy, you just press REPLY and type in the box, I'm sure we can all manage it.

Good Behaviour in Online Gaming

Some would state that a game based around killing and maiming other players will inherently breed a negative atmosphere, and in a certain sense this IS the truth. Also the violence represented on screen is obviously going to have a different affect on the games players, related to their personal outlook, upbringing, and age. Unfortunately, this particular game is rated Teen, which in this society of most mothers believing they know what is best for their children (even though this is obviously not true, as media objects such as “The Jeremy Kyle Show”, “Jersey Shore”, current musical and stylistic trends unintentionally show us) means that children of all ages are allowed access to this game, and therefore any modifications to it.

Combine this with dramatical decrease in intelligence in the current generations of young people, directly linked to passive entertainment, the lack of societal templates of moral and ethical stances and standards, and the very worrying trends of most governments in the so called “developed” states to lean more and more towards “big brother” fascistic tendencies in upholding the law, “good” behaviour has become more and more “What can I get away with?” and less “What is the RIGHT thing to do”.

I currently am writing this due to a case of misjudgement: I saw a player break the rules of the server we were on, and instead of reporting this breach I reacted in kind. Specifically I saw a teamkill take place with a player I was on on the 'phone with get teamkilled, and the teamkiller then stole his horse: the victim has never had any “run ins” with any players, has never drawn attention to themselves, and is one of “Great Unnoticed” mass of players. I felt pretty bad this player, he did not deserve this treatment. But instead of reporting the issue, I misjudged what I should do, I went above and beyond the rules:

I killed the horse: As I saw this, the player cheated for a horse, I took the horse from him, he had broken the rules but since he gained nothing from it, we were back at square one and all was fair. I then turned away and continued to attempt to win the round. I had not considered that the “horse thief” would be SO enraged that he would run up behind me and slay me. My fault ultimately, if you leave children temptation, they often misbehave, it is in the nature of children to test the limits of their society.

At THIS point, AGAIN I had the opportunity to do the “Right Thing” and simply take a couple of screenshots, post them on the forum, and leave it to an admin: I failed to do this, instead I gave the teamkiller my opinion of him in public chat: I'm not a child, and I don't automatically sensor my language. This again is my fault. So my comments may be judged as obscene or disgusting. I blame myself but partly my upbringing: I was taught to speak my mind, not to give in to bullies or small minds, and I was also taught “Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me”.

I never thought that my words were worse than his actions, but apparently they have been judged so. Since I learnt long ago that you can not change people, only yourself, I wont attempt to argue my point as RIGHT and the “Victim” of my crime (flaming in chat) as “Wrong”. In my mind that is the way it is, but it isn't my place to judge or attempt to change the values of others.

Since my actions (flaming in chat) could not have ANY possible reaction BUT negativity, I have to come clean and say that a much better solution would be to have called in an authoritative figure and had the teamkiller removed, and since did not do this, I did not exhibit good behaviour.

Since all mammals learn by imitation, humans being no exception, any and all bad behaviour will only ever cause MORE bad behaviour, until the point we all run around hitting each other. Since the default state or warband IS everyone running around hitting each other, bad behaviour is only one argument away, thus behaving in a mature way is all the more important. Nobody likes to be called mean names, I think, and if they do that's an issue for them to keep to their analysts or their bedroom partners. Since my negativity adversely affected the community, NOTHING positive can be taken from my actions at all, except as the perfect example of how NOT to behave in future, to myself and all the crpg community:

In future, I will take the “Right” actions, even though they seem morally reprehensible, and simply screenshot the actions of others and post them here, and let others decide the correct reaction. Taking justice into my own hands as a player is not the right way to go, and although I have personal qualms about bringing anyone before the “Ultimate Justice” of the game admins, who make CAN decisions without worry to the consequences, I understand that any other action is only going to create ill feeling, since the feeling “What can I get away with?” that pervades the “victims” of our societies slide away from moral standards CANNOT co-exist with the acceptance of judgement by peers.

It is essential to always behave in a measured and tempered way in games, since the majority of people playing games are the product of passive entertainment and passive education, few will seek to understand the underlying causes of any action, and will simply take the route their upbringing has preconditioned them to, accepting the passive information they are being given, rather than seeking to understand the motives behind the end result they see.

To close: The importance of good behaviour in games cannot be underestimated, since it's only our own actions we can control, and any action we take that impairs  the enjoyment of the game by others, whether by action or opinion, regardless of causes, intentions, or motives behind said impairment, will only create a more negative environment for all.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Spotted a few typos.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:35:54 pm by Grey »
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
Re: The Importance of Good Behaviour in Games.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:44:49 am »
Man if i ever need to write one of these im paying you to write it for me   :D 5/5 for a brilliant essay.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline djavo

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Salut
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HDZ_wing
  • Game nicks: Djavo
  • IRC nick: Kebab_Monteno
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:27:29 pm »
nice essay

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:36:45 pm »
Not a home run slam dunk, but pretty good.  I vote un-ban.

Offline Anteep

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:15:40 pm »
it is often those themselves who are children brought up in religious families that suffer because someone uses foul( :rolleyes:) language.
mature adults are able to understand that it is a word and not let it affect them

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 01:24:47 am »
Just so I ( an others possibly.) understand you were permanently banned for team killing one guy?   I would like to know the nature of the ban so I could more fairly weigh the essay vs the "crime". 

But at face value the essay is good with an obvious hint of mild humoring.   

Offline Winterly

• Count
  • Renown: 230
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • I play with Quiet Mode On.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 01:44:16 am »
5/5 Judging from this post alone, you seem to be okay. Hope you get what you came for.
Winterly's Stuff(selling Courser/buying head and foot armor)
I love how most EU players insert an imaginary "f" into my name: Winterfly.
"Life is kind of like peeing into the snow in a dark winter night, you probably made a difference, but it's really hard to tell" - Joe Wong

Offline Blackzilla

• Earl
  • Renown: 451
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB(strat/crpg),Dracul(Friends)
  • Game nicks: Blackzilla_FIDLGB, Helios The Shiny
  • IRC nick: Blackzilla
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 04:55:09 am »
5/5 Judging from this post alone, you seem to be okay. Hope you get what you came for.
Winter, this is over a year old. :/

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 05:06:36 am »
Grey is playing as BlindGuy for ages now, new key. :P
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 06:26:44 am »
Grey is playing as BlindGuy for ages now, new key. :P
After reading that shit essay that seems obvious.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 09:37:14 am »
Quit posting on old posts  :|

(click to show/hide)

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 06:24:14 pm »
HEY!   A good essay is still a good essay!   Just because a book is a year old doesn't mean its not longer a good read!  Where is your APPRECIATION for the CLASSICS!

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 06:37:26 pm »
HEY!   A good essay is still a good essay!   Just because a book is a year old doesn't mean its not longer a good read!  Where is your APPRECIATION for the CLASSICS!
The essay sucked blindguy!
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 03:25:54 am »
Are you calling me blindguy?