Author Topic: Open Field Battle  (Read 21913 times)

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
Re: Open Field Battle
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2011, 10:05:55 am »
I'm not personally a fan of the way the battles have been going at all. These quick 2-5 minute fights are simply not fun for anyone. It is important to keep in mind that they (the devs) are working on it and have made changes. Constructive feedback from fights like this is likely the best way to help them fix things. We all want fair fights with no glitches or spawn related issues in the future version of Strategus.

+1 What he said.

Lets discuss these problems normal - its just a BETA after all. Its better to have all these glitches and bugs NOW in the beta where they can be fixed than later.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2011, 10:13:51 am »
Thanks chadz for looking over this.

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA
  • Game nicks: CSA_Gen_Robert_E_Leet
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2011, 10:18:05 am »
I want to see this. I want to see a real example of this happening, not some theory. Because so far it was always the same: both teams spawned fully when reaching each other. Like in this battle.

Show me how you successfully exploit it and I'll change it.

Tried to test this right now in the 5 LLJK vs. 1 BIRD CLAN battle that was scheduled. We had one person on each team, it got to STRATEGUS STARTING IN 60 SECONDS, then nothing happened for about 4 minutes. Then I (defender)spawned and the game immediately declared me the winner without giving the attackers a chance to spawn.

So, yeah.
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline legionarei

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_legionarei
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2011, 10:30:30 am »
Tried to test this right now in the 5 LLJK vs. 1 BIRD CLAN battle that was scheduled. We had one person on each team, it got to STRATEGUS STARTING IN 60 SECONDS, then nothing happened for about 4 minutes. Then I (defender)spawned and the game immediately declared me the winner without giving the attackers a chance to spawn.

So, yeah.

Nothing wrong at all with strat guys! Nothing to see here! Obviously SPQR was a highly organized defender and the other team was a bunch of invisible peasants.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2011, 10:34:19 am »

So, yeah.

If it wouldn't be so lame, I'd post a facepalm picture.

Let me put it like that:
What the hell has that to do with the topic.

Offline legionarei

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: LLJK_legionarei
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2011, 10:36:36 am »

Let me put it like that:

Are you kidding me? A defender winning a battle before the attackers had a chance to spawn in isn't a problem in your eyes? You asked him to test the "defenders getting to spawn before the attackers spawn in" issue, they tried to test it and found another stupid "bug" that they reported to you.

That's "lame?"

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2011, 10:38:22 am »

Let me put it like that:

Well lets see, the topic is about how the new spawn system has major problems. I would assume that "one side not spawning at all" fits neatly in that category.
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet

Offline Slade

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2011, 10:40:22 am »
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgGrZYu0TII

You want proof of the fact that we were still spawning while the defenders were swarming our spawn.

Note that green spawns with 2389 tickets.

At 1:52, we just finish spawning.

At 2:00, the shield wall is 5 seconds away from the spawn and you clearly see the whole battlefield, and that the cavalry has been swarming us already for some time.

2389-2346=43. So we had 43 troops spawned. Its obviously clear that the cavalry was swarming us ON our cap before we even finished spawning, never mind the infantry hitting us head on 5 seconds after we're fully spawned. You can see that the shield wall stopped a couple times too, so its not a stretch to say the infantry would have hit us in our spawn before we were done spawning.

Then again, this is with 43 troops. Imagine if we had 60 troops. They would have hit us with their cav with HALF our troops spawned, and hit our infantry line with 15 of our men still not spawned.

I understand that you guys couldn't make these observations for yourself from the video, I wish we had a video from the attackers point of view and constant view of the scoreboard so we could spoonfeed you what the hell happened, but we don't. However, it's abundantly clear what happened, and all of you saying otherwise are clearly in denial. NEVERMIND that half of us spawned without armor when we had over 400K+ worth of shit to supply our army with.

Proof enough?

TL;DR: Open field battles need some tweaking.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2011, 10:41:07 am »
Well lets see, the topic is about how the new spawn system has major problems. I would assume that "one side not spawning at all" fits neatly in that category.

Not at all, this thead is about balancing issues.

What you are "reporting" is merely a security feature if one team thinks it's funny to join but don't spawn by having the equipment screen open.

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2011, 10:47:42 am »
Not at all, this thead is about balancing issues.

What you are "reporting" is merely a security feature if one team thinks it's funny to join but don't spawn by having the equipment screen open.

No, I (the defender) spawned. Then the battle ended immediately. There was no defenders 60 second free-time. It just ended before the attacker spawn time even began.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2011, 10:51:08 am »
+1

Here Chadius, please allow me to give you a hand:

(click to show/hide)

:wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2011, 01:21:57 pm »
We just fought a battle (Ayn Assuadi vs Pecores) in which we were on the enemy team well before their entire team organized. The battle was over in minutes. It was not fun yet apparently according to chadz us coralling the supposed attackers into a defensive position on their own flag, then running them down well before they could get organized was business as intended.

If this is the way strategus battles are going to be i can forsee very few people bringing armies larger than 100 anywhere. Why do we need tickets if 1K armies are routinely destroyed in seconds, there's no point in making a large army at all here.

This is not in any way fun at all and i hope you would look into this mechanic. People aren't going to log on for "epic" fights that last 5 minutes at a time. Also the current system gives so much of an advantage to defenders it is not even enjoyable to win a battle. I want to talk all sorts of mad shit, but i just don't feel we really accomplished that much.

Offline Ufthak

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2011, 01:24:01 pm »
+2
LLJK just won by bumrushing the attacker's spawn with minimal coordination against pecores, who were obviously expecting it judging by the use of siege shields. Come on, there has to be some issue here if LLJK's bumrush was that effective. There's been two big battles that turned into no-contests because of the spawn system in the last two days.

Any new supporters for re-examining the spawn system from the other side after this battle?

Offline Slantedfloors

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Slanted
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2011, 01:26:59 pm »
LLJK just won by bumrushing the attacker's spawn with minimal coordination against pecores, who were obviously expecting it judging by the use of siege shields. Come on, there has to be some issue here if LLJK's bumrush was that effective. There's been two big battles that turned into no-contests because of the spawn system in the last two days.
Seriously here people. We've all been awake for 30 hours waiting for this, we had an assload of newbies, and as you people never seem to stop whining about, we're LLJK.

This mechanic is absolutely terrible.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:29:06 pm by Slantedfloors »

Offline Snatch

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Just dance
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lady Gaga
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2011, 01:28:44 pm »
We just fought a battle (Ayn Assuadi vs Pecores) in which we were on the enemy team well before their entire team organized. The battle was over in minutes. It was not fun yet apparently according to chadz us coralling the supposed attackers into a defensive position on their own flag, then running them down well before they could get organized was business as intended.

If this is the way strategus battles are going to be i can forsee very few people bringing armies larger than 100 anywhere. Why do we need tickets if 1K armies are routinely destroyed in seconds, there's no point in making a large army at all here.

This is not in any way fun at all and i hope you would look into this mechanic. People aren't going to log on for "epic" fights that last 5 minutes at a time. Also the current system gives so much of an advantage to defenders it is not even enjoyable to win a battle. I want to talk all sorts of mad shit, but i just don't feel we really accomplished that much.

Ugh yea, i mean I hate the French too. But i mean shit, this mechanic is the worse. I like the idea behind it, but it is poorly implemented.