Author Topic: Higher Str Requirement on Armors and Weapons  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
Higher Str Requirement on Armors and Weapons
« on: July 24, 2011, 01:03:18 am »
+1
Just a thought that came to my mind the other day, imo higher str requirements on things would make it so peasants have a chance of escape from a full plate olympic sprinter with a pole-axe or pike-sword & the higher requirement might be a nice reason to lower the prices on some of the heavy armors/ weapons as well maybe? (to balance the higher req)

I didn't put any numbers because I really have none, just an idea in it's most basic form not even sure if it's a good one or not, but it would maybe stop knights in full plate from running and swinging as fast as they do whilst giving a reason to make being an armored knight more sustainable upkeep-wise.

anyways just had this idea and thought I'd post and see if anyone would respond

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
Re: Higher Str Requirement on Armors and Weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 01:12:29 am »
The current requirements already force you to go for a balanced build if you want to be effective.

They are fine and don't need raising, this will only encourage going strength builds.

Afaik the devs want players to go for balanced builds, if someone could confirm.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 06:23:56 am »
The current requirements already force you to go for a balanced build if you want to be effective.

Wut?

I... don't... see... your logic?  How do the requirements for anything force anyone to go for a balanced build?  For that matter how does the equipment requirements and gameplay itself NOT promote STR builds?
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 06:33:34 am »
Gorath, he was just saying you can't go agility builds already and be effective.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 07:07:48 am »
Gorath, he was just saying you can't go agility builds already and be effective.

OHHHHH, phrasing it like that makes far more sense.  TY
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 03:54:21 pm »
+1
16/24

8 ath
8 wm

black armor

bec

Agility builds aren't effective? most str builds can't even get a swing in on me (except Allers) but that isn't what this discussion is about.
but if it were I'd have to say STR builds are easy to defeat so what's the problem? I have more trouble with 15/24 builds using full plate and huge great swords/lightsabers but I guess to each their own.

What I don't get is how 16 str as a requirement for the best armor the heaviest armor in the game is forcing balanced builds at all...

you can go 15 str and still use almost every armor in the game and bring out a bec which is a 3.8 weight weapon.

I just don't get why Agility builds with hardly any STR can use items that STR specced characters can, and Agility characters use it more effectively.
With 8 wm, even in black armor you still have quite a lot of effective wpp.

basically what I'm saying, itemwise between an agility and str character they're dressed the same, and why not, they both meet the requirement.
Just seems a little boring to me, no matter how you build your character you can use almost ANY item in this game which means, every character is basically the same in the end.

Assuming 2 PA users had the same amount of cash, but 2 different builds. 18/21 vs 27/9, as PA users at 18 str they have access to EVERY weapon, at 16 str they had access to EVERY armor, these are 2 totally different builds, but on the battle field they would wear the same stuff. Best armor, best weapon and so on and so on... Basically there's no items unique to anyone, no matter how you build your character you're most likely going to be able to use anything you want.

ps: that 16/24 is my build, I can wear full black armor and run around with a bec/ other heavy crazy damaging weapon. It is crazy effective, but no, no you're right, agility builds CAN'T be effective....

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:59:49 pm by Memento_Mori »

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 04:16:38 pm »
The game is unbalanced as hell, how can you wear full plate and a big two handed sword and still be very fast?

Look on the mod "mercenaries" you devlopers might get some ideas to balnce the mod..

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 06:02:00 am »
Actually, the stronger you are the faster you can swing, and the ancient badasses who wore plate and carried two hand swords would be elite soldiers who were extremely fast, athletic, and agile; don't doubt human agility when death is a consequence of ponderousness. Two handed swords weighed at most 8-12 pounds and a plate harness weighed less than a modern infantryman's equipment.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:03:42 am by ArchonAlarion »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 06:36:44 am »
Two handed swords weighed at most 8-12 pounds and a plate harness weighed less than a modern infantryman's equipment.
If you said two handed swords weighed usually between 3 to 6 pounds (6 pounds for a huge sword), you couldn't be more right.

But, one thing. Full plated knights were super OP in real life. They can't be in game.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 06:43:28 am »
If you said two handed swords weighed usually between 3 to 6 pounds (6 pounds for a huge sword), you couldn't be more right.

But, one thing. Full plated knights were super OP in real life. They can't be in game.

Yeah I was just covering my ass if someone came up with some obscure example of a 10 pound two-handed combat sword.

I think full plated knights should be in game (for the right cost; perhaps gold cost in a purely "pub" context, perhaps some complex strategus economic simulation otherwise), and that the D20 conceptions of classes and balance should be erased from this mod because mount and blade is its own game with its own niche.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 03:34:20 pm »
What do you think about Agility as requirement for any armor?

Also it could be great with some Agility based armor Skill. For example - Armor Handling, with bonuses to armor, soak, weight reduce etc...

Just ideas to make Agility more attractive choice

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 04:16:15 pm »
What do you think about Agility as requirement for any armor?

Also it could be great with some Agility based armor Skill. For example - Armor Handling, with bonuses to armor, soak, weight reduce etc...

Just ideas to make Agility more attractive choice
That's stupid, the devs want people to go for balanced builds as much as possible.

Atm agility gives more bonuses than strength, but we are forced to go strength for powerstrike and requirements.

I'd call it pretty much perfect right now.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 04:25:30 pm »
Atm agility gives more bonuses than strength

Lol. Just lol...

Go pwn something with 3\39 character.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 04:26:37 pm »
Lol. Just lol...

Go pwn something with 3\39 character.
Atm agility gives more bonuses than strength, but we are forced to go strength for powerstrike and requirements.
Selective quoting is very childish of you.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 04:37:06 pm »
What? You are not interested in this OP build anymore? Why? Just imagine how much bonuses from Agility you'll have.

the devs want people to go for balanced builds as much as possible

What? Really? Who said you this?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:38:14 pm by Cup1d »