Author Topic: The upkeep problem: My perspective as far as new players are concerned.  (Read 6533 times)

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: The upkeep problem: My perspective as far as new players are concerned.
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 10:48:57 am »

I am comparing because people complain it takes while to get high end gear, despite the fact that with the current c-rpg you can replicate an identical load out for a swadian knight and sustain it indefinetly... For the TIME invested, c-rpg still pulls out ahead, so someone who wants to be an expensive knight in shining armour would have an easier time in c-rpg then in Native where they can only play their "fantasy" for short bursts of time (where as c-rpg you can do it forever once you get to that level, and never have to back down).

I really don't get it.

The only stuff that you can not use 24/7 is the best gear and that is deliberate as it is... the best gear... kinda normal, really... That is what makes it so special...

You can make money and wear low end stuff, make almost no money in the long run and wear mid-range, or lose money and wear the best... I see nothing wrong with this system.
I'm wearing mid-end gear and losing money due to the teams I get, so you're wrong. It's a 50/50 chance you'll have a team that wins, but even when you DO the multiplier doesn't last long. Randomness is why this system doesn't work. You lose money because your team lost the game for you, and it's not your fault you landed on the worse team, so in the end it just feels really unfair.  I decide to put time into this server and I get punished for it, that's ironic. Randomness is the basis of this entire system, so it's the inaccuracy of that which makes it fail. With this damned upkeep I can never just relax and have fun.  It's always breathing down my neck.

That's why your story with C-RPG is entirely different from mine. It's not my inexperience, it's just LUCK.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:03:24 am by Draulius »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 05:24:17 pm »
Even with a x1 for life and you never ever winning ever you can still sustain 23,000 gold of gear.

That 50 percent chance you keep bringing up is an average multiplier of 1.9

If you perform well even if your team lost, you can get the "thy valour is rewarded" text which allows you to keep your multiplier.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:27:52 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 06:58:13 pm »
Even with a x1 for life and you never ever winning ever you can still sustain 23,000 gold of gear.

That 50 percent chance you keep bringing up is an average multiplier of 1.9

If you perform well even if your team lost, you can get the "thy valour is rewarded" text which allows you to keep your multiplier.

A lot of this is luck.

I wear gear with around 21k total cost, and I usually make money.

However

I have a buffer of about 20k. There have been rounds where I have a positive KDR, but I go on  a 10+ round losing streak and lose thousands of gold. Because of my buffer, this is fine. New players will find it very difficult  to generate this buffer, and for a lot of them, will dip to 4 digit gold reserves after a purchase. This means they are incredibly at risk to a cold streak which may have nothing to do with their overall skill and bankrupt themselves.

The new 1-25 gen 1 system will certainly help this, but the current upkeep system certainly favors players who have been around for a while.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 09:36:19 pm »
+2
A lot of this is luck.

With enough samples luck becomes to a variable.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 06:18:30 am »
A lot of this is luck.

I wear gear with around 21k total cost, and I usually make money.

However

I have a buffer of about 20k. There have been rounds where I have a positive KDR, but I go on  a 10+ round losing streak and lose thousands of gold. Because of my buffer, this is fine. New players will find it very difficult  to generate this buffer, and for a lot of them, will dip to 4 digit gold reserves after a purchase. This means they are incredibly at risk to a cold streak which may have nothing to do with their overall skill and bankrupt themselves.

The new 1-25 gen 1 system will certainly help this, but the current upkeep system certainly favors players who have been around for a while.

^
This.  Especially the luck part.  Last night I was on TS with the guys and we were rolling a x5 for 4 maps in a row (20 rounds)  Of those 20 rounds I got hit with at least 3 items breaking all but one round, joked it off over vent about how with a x5 I managed to LOSE 9k gold for the night.

This was playing in a gambeson, felt hat, leather boots, mail guantlets, my mil cleaver and red tassel spear/long war axe (depending on my mood that round).

Other nights I've been on x1 for an entire map in churburg, klappvisor, Iron greaves, hourglass guantlets, my cleaver/spear AND a shield and had NOTHING break.

So again, ALOT of this is pure stupid luck.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:19:38 am by Gorath »
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 08:41:31 pm »
I totally Agree

I am one of those players that suck.
I have played for a while. Some time's I am ok, but most of the time I am pretty crap. I am also referred to as the worst cav player on the AU server.

I love Cav. I ride and joust in RL. I cant afford to ride in game now. I have a well bread charger and standard large warhorse and plated charger. I bring my heavy horse's out about 2 - 3 times in a 3 hour session and most of the time they get upkeep that cripples me. It BS that i cant play cav even on my rouncey and get ahead. Also on the AU server the rounds end quickly so when you have x5 you have it for bugger all time.

Upkeep on Cav is crap. The game is called "Mount and Blade" not dismount and be a peice of shit pesant scum.

In the game Space invader - you defend the planet from aliens. STUPIDPIECEOFSHIT DEFENDER SCUM
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 10:06:42 pm »
In the game Space invader - you defend the planet from aliens. STUPIDPIECEOFSHIT DEFENDER SCUM

You necroed a post 70 days later to say that? :|
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 12:06:54 am »
You necroed a post 70 days later to say that? :|
Byzantium. Move along.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 08:38:37 am »
the irony

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 02:24:45 pm »
Speaking of this topic.

Supposedly upkeep has caught up with the players.  Rumor on the street is that Goretooth is poor.  Unless he is trolling me.

chadz's Upkeep System is FINALLY WORKING!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 06:50:20 pm »
I don't really understand some players. Some complain that noobs can't afford anything. Then when they eventually can the argument switches to people not wanting players to be able to use expensive stuff a lot. So some want high tier gear that is not too expensive to buy yet ultimately not usable much of the time. Why not just make high tier stuff appropriately expensive to BEGIN with?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:02:35 am by Lichen »

Offline Sawbone

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 07:31:32 pm »
[...] This endless upkeep whine is silly. You can wear gear for 25k and still earn money. You don't NEED better gear. It's nice to have sometimes but you don't NEED it. I wear gear worth 29k and I'm neither making nor losing money. Just wear cheaper stuff. My melee char with cheap ass gear regularly tops the boards.  [...]

This is exactly what I do not understand about the people saying upkeep is cool: new players should just give up and use cheap gear while the veterans run in full plate all day. As designed.

If you don't NEED it, if it's not that important: why limit it's availability?

For what it's worth: A buddy who has the game, loves it, but don't want to play cRPG because of one reason - upkeep. He wanted to play a Cav, told him it's expensive so he should wait a few generations... because he'll start paying upkeep past level 25.

How long is a few generations? he asked.

I answered: well, i played roughly 60-70 hours I think, I'm closed to retiring for the second time...

He never played cRPG again.

I'd love to see if the majority of the pro-upkeeps are veteran players, or new players. I understand the need and design reasoning behind the "work hard and you get a cookie" idea. But not all players have 20 hours a week to pump into a single game. I certainly do not want to "work" in a game, got enough of that already.

And the servers will be boring when only veterans are around as new blood is always castrated upon birth.

This game/mod requires a lot of skill and training: that's a large enough obstacle before becoming competitive. Upkeep just drowns some good swimmers that don't know they can swim yet.

Too hardcore, even for a hardcore game.

Leave the grinding to WoW freaks, let skill prevail in cRPG.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 07:47:32 pm »

That's why upkeep was implemented.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 08:03:09 pm »
[...] This endless upkeep whine is silly. You can wear gear for 25k and still earn money. You don't NEED better gear. It's nice to have sometimes but you don't NEED it. I wear gear worth 29k and I'm neither making nor losing money. Just wear cheaper stuff. My melee char with cheap ass gear regularly tops the boards.  [...]

This is exactly what I do not understand about the people saying upkeep is cool: new players should just give up and use cheap gear while the veterans run in full plate all day. As designed.

If you don't NEED it, if it's not that important: why limit it's availability?

For what it's worth: A buddy who has the game, loves it, but don't want to play cRPG because of one reason - upkeep. He wanted to play a Cav, told him it's expensive so he should wait a few generations... because he'll start paying upkeep past level 25.

How long is a few generations? he asked.

I answered: well, i played roughly 60-70 hours I think, I'm closed to retiring for the second time...

He never played cRPG again.

I'd love to see if the majority of the pro-upkeeps are veteran players, or new players. I understand the need and design reasoning behind the "work hard and you get a cookie" idea. But not all players have 20 hours a week to pump into a single game. I certainly do not want to "work" in a game, got enough of that already.

And the servers will be boring when only veterans are around as new blood is always castrated upon birth.

This game/mod requires a lot of skill and training: that's a large enough obstacle before becoming competitive. Upkeep just drowns some good swimmers that don't know they can swim yet.

Too hardcore, even for a hardcore game.

And that is what we currently have. I doubt most people could beat Greifenherz/Atze equipped with light armour and scythes/quarter staffs, even if they had plate and poleaxes. I've managed to kill lots of plate wielders as a low lvl guy with cloth armour and a cheap mace. The "good" armour and "good" weapons doesn't gives you an edge but it's not the main factor in who wins a fight.
   Still, I do think we need more variety in the weapons and equipment used. But having low/no upkeep would make everyone able to use plate/horses/bodkin/arbalest. So who should be the guys with the best equipment? The "new" guys? How would that work in a way that isn't easily abusable? They tried to ease the beginning for new guys with the no-upkeep before lvl 25, gen 1. See how that is already abused. Instead of whining about the upkeep, you need to think of ways to make it easier for the new guys without making it even easier for the "old" players.
   If we removed upkeep, what would keep the "old" players from using the expensive stuff all the time? The game would be MUCH harder for new players compared to what it is now. That is how it was before and that is how it will be if we take it away.

Also, to your friend. He should be able to play as cav just fine. He just won't be able to use the most expensive horses and weapons. Playing with the rouncey, a lance and a military scythe or quarterstaff is what I did when I was in my secound gen and upkeep was introduced. It's not the best gear, but you can still earn money. The weapons are good enough, but looting might still be worth it.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Sawbone

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 08:31:38 pm »
Not whining, just having a discussion ;)

I wasn't here before the upkeep - so i cannot compare the two. But upkeep does feel like grinding, even if that was not the objective at first. It give the impression that you lose progression and that you need to play to gain cash, not to have fun.

Like I have said in a different thread - better balance could be the end of upkeep: speed vs toughness, maneuverability vs firepower, etc.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 04:47:02 am by Sawbone »