Poll

Current state of ranged:

Ranged should stay the same
Crossbows should be nerfed
Archers and crossbows should be nerfed

Author Topic: The Ranged Problem.  (Read 24041 times)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
Re: The Ranged Problem.
« Reply #240 on: December 29, 2017, 12:28:25 pm »
I think the only way the baying crowds of 2h heroes will be happy is if you give them a knightly aura that blocks all projectiles from the dirty peasants who are too afraid to play the game the way nature intended
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #241 on: December 29, 2017, 12:49:57 pm »
+3
I think the only way the baying crowds of 2h heroes will be happy is if you give them a knightly aura that blocks all projectiles from the dirty peasants who are too afraid to play the game the way nature intended

Just give them the ability to block arrows and you'll see how much they'll still complain about ranged removing more than 10% per shot. I shouldn't have a say when it comes to nerfing shielders because they'll always win a 1v1 against me, same goes about nerfing heavy cavalry because I can't kill their horses. The only imbalances I see are that crossbowmen don't have a requirement skill that forces them to commit to their class (can melee way better than archers), and that the archery builds using less than 8PD are more or less irrelevant.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #242 on: December 29, 2017, 02:40:24 pm »
+1
Ranged pressure seems to be pretty low tbh.

Offline zDevilBox

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: zDevilBox
  • IRC nick: zDevilBox
« Reply #243 on: December 29, 2017, 04:10:24 pm »
+1
It would be nice to resurrect melee battlegrounds.
The winner of the Official cRPG 5v5 EU Tournament I

Offline Odin

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 29, 2017, 05:01:07 pm »
+2
There's no problem in ranged. The only people complaining are the 2-handers. Crossbow and archery are extremely hard to play with, more at the early stage. First of all the reload of crossbow is to slow and the ammo you have is scarce. Using an arbalest I couldn't even one-shot the leather armoured guy. Secondly, in the early stages, even at level 30, the reticle you have is not completely accurate so you have to cross your finger and hope you hit the target.
Secondly archery. I tried to create an archer. I couldn't even kill a bot in DTV. The damage you make its nearly nullified and on battle you have to be lucky to hit an almost dead opponent. Moreover you should buff those 2 classes not nerf them, let's not speak about cavalry and polearm or we will stay here for an entire year.
In the end I hardly see more than 8 archers in a server divided in 2 teams. I am preoccupied about you people using 2handers spamming the way left and right.

Offline Daniisme

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 29, 2017, 05:53:46 pm »
There's no problem in ranged. The only people complaining are the 2-handers. Crossbow and archery are extremely hard to play with, more at the early stage. First of all the reload of crossbow is to slow and the ammo you have is scarce. Using an arbalest I couldn't even one-shot the leather armoured guy. Secondly, in the early stages, even at level 30, the reticle you have is not completely accurate so you have to cross your finger and hope you hit the target.
Secondly archery. I tried to create an archer. I couldn't even kill a bot in DTV. The damage you make its nearly nullified and on battle you have to be lucky to hit an almost dead opponent. Moreover you should buff those 2 classes not nerf them, let's not speak about cavalry and polearm or we will stay here for an entire year.
In the end I hardly see more than 8 archers in a server divided in 2 teams. I am preoccupied about you people using 2handers spamming the way left and right.

dis

Offline Sellka

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre
  • Game nicks: Sellka,kovoca
« Reply #246 on: December 30, 2017, 02:50:34 am »
+3
A finite amount of ammo, have to spec completely into it if you want to touch anyone in armour with any real result, HS's are almost necessary for some people who go heavy in armour. Then there are armour restrictions and WPF loss which can be pretty steep. Once swords get close to you're pretty much dead at that point unless you can block or run away. Pushing is more to do with strength and if they catch you with a block at the time. If you're a 2h or polearm without a shield that's tough luck learn to dodge.

I've played an archer in CRPG for a long time and it has changed dramatically since the days of yore. I use to be able to steadily de horse people across the map and hit them on horseback. When I see people complain these days it's mostly 2h/pole that has no shield and gets dunked on by an archer. We could stop a lot of the crossbow things by having them require PD to use, would also kill the class because a lot of the players enjoy the use of 1h weapons with some bite to them, in sharp contrast to archers that have almost to no hand to hand capability
Pew pew pew pew pew

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
« Reply #247 on: December 30, 2017, 05:57:47 am »
A finite amount of ammo, have to spec completely into it if you want to touch anyone in armour with any real result, HS's are almost necessary for some people who go heavy in armour. Then there are armour restrictions and WPF loss which can be pretty steep. Once swords get close to you're pretty much dead at that point unless you can block or run away. Pushing is more to do with strength and if they catch you with a block at the time. If you're a 2h or polearm without a shield that's tough luck learn to dodge.

I've played an archer in CRPG for a long time and it has changed dramatically since the days of yore. I use to be able to steadily de horse people across the map and hit them on horseback. When I see people complain these days it's mostly 2h/pole that has no shield and gets dunked on by an archer. We could stop a lot of the crossbow things by having them require PD to use, would also kill the class because a lot of the players enjoy the use of 1h weapons with some bite to them, in sharp contrast to archers that have almost to no hand to hand capability

I wish PD was an option but sadly it is not.

Offline FlyingHydra

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • hey there
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
« Reply #248 on: December 30, 2017, 09:24:37 am »
+1
I couldn't even kill a bot in DTV.

Archers are not a serious firepower in DTV. It's always better to have an extra 2h/shielder than archer (not a cav tho, no one likes the cav). In DTV they are rather a support class which can't do much on its own, sadly.
If not us, who?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0sm8HKoySI

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #249 on: December 30, 2017, 11:35:02 am »
+4
Archers and Crossbow users depend on each other and on overall numbers much more than other classes. They reach a critical mass if you have enough of them and can break the game. If you have 10 people on the server and two are archers, they're toast. If, on the other hand, you have 100 people on a server and 20 are archers, that's a different matter.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #250 on: December 30, 2017, 07:06:30 pm »
yes, if you have 100 people on the mob will charge the archers, if you have 10, the other 8 will quit

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Sellka

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre
  • Game nicks: Sellka,kovoca
« Reply #251 on: December 31, 2017, 06:02:46 pm »
yes, if you have 100 people on the mob will charge the archers, if you have 10, the other 8 will quit

My suggestion to that is something with the rules, no range under X amount of players, because I know I've caused people to leave the server due to pews.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:13:53 pm by Sellka »
Pew pew pew pew pew

Offline Finse

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Finse, Hated
« Reply #252 on: December 31, 2017, 07:08:26 pm »
+1
My suggestion to that is something with the rules, no range under X amount of players, because I know I've caused people to leave the server due to pews.

lol, if that gets implemented, it means people cant play their class, because melee cant be assed to get shields and work together. Instead they try to avoid it by having a spasmatic attack on their hand.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #253 on: December 31, 2017, 07:08:42 pm »
so you will force off the ranged players instead?  :lol:
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #254 on: December 31, 2017, 07:25:20 pm »
+4

forcing people to not play or change class goes fundamentally against the crowning ideal of player freedom that crpg tries to embody

can't do this, sorry m8

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.