Author Topic: 1H/shielder  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Jony

• Knight
  • Renown: 77
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
1H/shielder
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:29:31 pm »
+1
Hello will create 1H/shield   alt but confused to put IF  or most to shield points, pls share opinions. Und 7 or 8 athletic? Big diference? 21/21 or 18/24

(click to show/hide)

Builds i'm mostly going for :

Code: (clone ) [Select]
Level:           34

Strength:        18
Agility:         24

Skill to attr:    6

Ironflash:        2
Power Strike:     6
Shield:           8
Athletics:        8
Weapon Master:    5

One Handed:     151
using cRPG NewGen calc

Code: [Select]
Level:           34

Skill to attr:    6

Ironflash:        5
Shield:           5
Weapon Master:    5

One Handed:     151
using cRPG NewGen calc
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 08:54:44 pm by Jony »
"if DTV is the only thing you're here for, there are better games out there."

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
Re: 1H/shielder
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:02:14 am »
+1
Go for 21/21, I wouldn't recommend more than 5 shield skill, since it's enough with a loomed shield. Try to get 7 athl, and 7 PS (there is a huge difference somehow between 6 and 7PS, way more important than the difference between 7 and 8 ATHL). Also, even if I was against taking some ironflesh, having at least 4 makes you way more tanky. For IF at 7, makes a build with 70, hp, which is already huge to me. Hope it did help!

Just saw what you wrote inside of the spoiler, you can't stand more than 4 hits of an axe with a shield, that's not possible, and having 5 or 7 shield skill barely changes anything.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 06:22:36 am »
+1
If you are going to use a large or heavy shield (kite shields, plate covered, heavy round, etc.) then 4-5 shield skill is fine. Going for higher shield skill isn't necessary unless you are using a really slow one (heavy board), or a lightweight/small shield (buckler, brown lion heater, knightly heater). Slow shields will block faster, and the "force field" and increased durability help the weak points on a lighter shield.

I have done 18/24 buckler shield build in the past. High agility and a light weight shield let you do fancy footwork that a slower, heavier equipped shielder cannot. Swords with a balance between stab and swing damage work best, but very fast short swords and daggers work very well too. With heirloomed mail armor, a light shield, and good awareness you can skip the Ironflesh points. If you plan to use shields that have a high weight, I would go for the ironflesh over maxed athletics/shield skill. When you are slowed by your gear, the higher athletics skill won't make as much difference (in my experience).

If you plan to use axes or blunt weapons 21/21 or even 24/18 may work better. They are slower, and you will take hits when someone beats you to the swing. I have not played much with a pick type weapon, but the general consensus is that an agility based build will work better for you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 08:33:24 pm »
+2
My build is:

Level:           33

Ironflesh:        0
Shield:           4
Weapon Master:    8

WPF (With synergies)
One Handed:     177
Polearm: 96
Two Handed: 33

If I could do things over I'd go for this build eventually:

Level 36 (418 780 850 xp)

Strength: 15
Agility: 30
Hit points: 50
Skills to attributes: 8
Ironflesh: 0
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 4
Athletics: 10
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 10

WPF (With synergies)
One Handed: 201
Two Handed: 47
Polearm: 145

I use a steel pick + rondel dagger + elite cavalry shield (Looking for a +3 heavy heater), and grab spears when I find good ones lying around.

My play style usually involves neutral nudging to maneuver past or through opponents and striking from the side/behind, or striking targets that are just behind the person I just nudged.

Offline Jony

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 09:38:14 pm »
I think 5 WM is clearly enought  for pure class :) I cant decide what to do,  put more 2 IF and other shield or  5 to 5.  I read all advices and thanks for them but still cant decide. I stop think for more than 5 shield becouse many things, first is  i test with STF  8 shield and i am realy desapointet from the result...  Its redicilus to put  much shield points and think that you are tank :D  Maybe 5 to 5   IF:SH Points  with 18/24 or 21/21 becouse my PC is shit and sometimes  that u press right button  PC didnt response my comand, and 0 IF sucks!   
Or maybe will try to do STF with  8 WM all 1H  but still think its pointless :)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 11:25:48 pm »
+1
Try 8 WM on your STF character. You can feel the difference between 5 and 8 WM if you put it all in one weapon type. I am not sure if you will think it is worth the investment, but you might like a split between IF and WM for your build instead of IF and shield.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Jony

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 10:29:41 am »
+1
I make mistake and count my build as main as 34 lvl  instead 31 for alt :D

But i think i take right desicion to do it :

Level:           32

Agility:         21

Skill to attr:    4

Ironflash:        3
Shield:           6
Athletics:        7
Weapon Master:    7

One Handed:     165

Think max WM better. With my shit PC sometimes didn't even saw katana's strikes, and some other shit weapons  like staffs and etc,  so i'll go for 6 Shield points coz i see good diference between 5-6 SH P.
This is the worthest build in my mind.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:52:27 pm by Jony »

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 11:43:15 am »
+1
I had that builds,if you can play with 6 athl make 24/18 build.
Difference between 6-7 athl/ps isn't very big,still you will need to hit people a lot,and i would not go for pure 1h build because you will get boored.
I am going to make a hybrid build for me.

Level 33 (37 332 277 xp)

Strength: 18
Agility: 21
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 3
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 4
Athletics: 7
Riding: 6
Weapon Master: 6
One Handed: 113
Two Handed: 29
Polearm: 139

Later i will add more points to if. I have more wpf there is something bugged with char builder.
So i will have bec/long war axe on my back as spare weapon,i will use shield and 1h just to cover from archers and bec for fighting other pole/2h users and i will ride pony whenever i get boored. You can put those riding points into if or more wm and shield if you don't want to ride horse and have a viable hybrid build.

Offline Jony

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 12:26:53 pm »
I don't use backpedle so not sure why always put max ath but i do. 

If i go with 18 agi it will looks like :

Level:           32

Strength:        21
Agility:         18

Skill to attr:    4

Ironflash:        4
Power Strike:     7
Shield:           6
Athletics:        6
Weapon Master:    6

One Handed:     157

which looks very nice

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 06:31:45 pm »
Can you please explain me why you insist on such high shield skills? Why?
I am gen 25,and i never had more then 5 shield skill,and always used elite cav shield. 5 is enough.

Offline Lecram

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Speaker of Libere Equites
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Libere Equites
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 06:45:09 pm »
I use in my build 5 SK, it really enoth, because u can use all shields, and they hold long, it depents which shield u want To usw, a light one, maybe heavy?  5 SK are fine and good
When it breaks, u still have ur blocking skills :-)

Offline Jony

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 07:02:21 pm »
Usually i put 5 skill, but i think from all this test with my STF everything as even numbers have much worth. For example when checked the diference between 12 STR and 4 PS to 15 STR and 5 PS AND 15 STR and 5 PS to 18 STR and 6 PS is bigger.  You didn't get same diference after that  when go for 7 PS...  (I noticed that in dmg calculator).   Maybe this is coincidence i dont know but feel like even numbers have bonuses :P
But still confused what to do anyway.

Laggy block skills... yeah i love to use them ... That's why i make my main hybrid not 2H as before when my PC was nice.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:01:24 pm by Jony »