Author Topic: About Horse Archers  (Read 5839 times)

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
Re: About Horse Archers
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2014, 03:59:07 pm »
Thats a good point, then again 5 HA cant counter 5 archers, nor 5 melee in a city map. hmm,

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2014, 04:00:08 pm »
+4
Thats a good point, then again 5 HA cant counter 5 archers, nor 5 melee in a city map. hmm,

Bullshit
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline buba

• Count
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Buba_theVagabond
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2014, 09:18:01 pm »
Bullshit

Great argument, well put. Amazingly insightful.

To be completely honest, I do not give a damn about this anymore.
Ive nearly stopped playing CRPG after two years of having fun with it.

I am still surprised however people seem to think HA/HX have no counter what so ever and can roam the map always kitting poor melee around.
Our mobility does certainly have advantages, but the sacrifices made especially for HA is quite big.
No PS, No playing city maps, no seige, no DTV (well you can but your not going to contribute to the team much) and on foot your shit.
And, very high upkeep cost.

Ah but why do i try, you guys just want to bitch and moan on a class that shot you in the face once, completely by luck i might add, since our aim is not that good from horse back.
And then gallops around the map in semi freedom until the rounds end, or a ground ranged shoots him down.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2014, 10:56:10 pm »
+2
I'm not whining about them, I just call you out on the bullshit. Even on quite urban maps there wasn't any problem being top score and killing many enemies, even without support from other HA/HX on your team.

Previously had a lvl 32 HX and I have a lvl 31 HA character now.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2014, 01:53:45 am »
+1
inf melee - high damage output, high hit rate, high risk
ground ranged - slightly lower damage output, much lower hit rate, low risk
melee horse - high damage out put, lower hit rate than inf melee but higher than ground ranged, medium risk
horse ranged - lowest damage output, lower hit rate than ground ranged, lowest risk

Think about it, 1 horse archer can fuck up a cavalry ARMY, purely because they can't catch you and you can snipe their horses out with impunity. You can ride around melee guys, bumping anyone with a shield. Oh what's that your eastern warhorse isn't tanky? I call bullshit, you're just riding into projectiles instead of away from them. Destriers are tanky enough against range if you don't run at them head first. I really doubt you do THAT much less damage now Pp, considering what mechanic changes actually happened (foot archery still deals damage fine). So you can't shoot plate horses and infantry to death quite so fast anymore? GOOD, when I'm playing as my archer I'm not going to target B0nk or Butan or Squall or Falcom or Friedturtle or Bobby or BillyBaddAss cos I know I'll be inneffectual against them, this doesn't make me useless as you seem to profess, I shoot other ranged but ok I get you're too scared to do that. So shoot the support guys, shoot the long spear users in mail, shoot the 2h kuyak my old friends, shoot panos, shoot anyone up to coat of plates if you've bodkins or up to brigandine with cut arrows. You shouldn't expect to be dropping the enemy heavy hitters like flies, pick off the slightly weaker guys, then when melee hits, instead of 2 vs 2 with the enemy tank at 2/3 health, it'll be 2 vs 1 against the tank, greatly improving the odds.

You add Bubba have said your class is oppurtunistic etc etc etc, but you can't see how simple that is? Leave targetting the heavies to xbows and longbows and melee, disrupt the lighter infantry, and hell when you say you can only hurt guys in light gear, that's still up to around the 12k mark. Bump in melee a bit more, get involved, pick up a couch lance when you're ineffective against the enemy armour and aim the tip at their head, adapt in a way that makes you useful, stop trying to adapt in a way that you can still hurt heavies.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2014, 10:50:41 am »
+1
Eastern Warhorse is tanky but i am not  :wink: can't have lot's of armor on me because I won't be able to hit anyone and my repairs will go sky high. using lighter horse makes no sense.

I am trying to adapt, I put 3 points in PS to pick up a lance or ACS and try to hurt somebody, but I'm still far from usefull to my team.

There are maps I can do well on but mostly I drag around 10/15 points per round which is really funny considering my level and equipement. ofc I'm barely playing lately so I just might be out of form.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2014, 03:36:00 pm »
+1
Well, 5 infantry has a hard time countering 5 ranged, and an impossible job against 5 HA.

Mm 5 infantry with  no ranged, no xbow, no throwing... Good ole' C-rpg builds... Better complain that we can't counter something even though we have 100% free choice as to how we make our builds.

5 infantry with shields + throwing and those HA will have to stay moving far away taking pot shots with their crap accuracy & shit damage, bam you as infantry have just contested Horse Archers.. Something no c-rpg player thought possible.

Also 5 HA on a open map is a pretty big target, on a tinier more urban map it's near impossible for all 5 to coordinate and attack the same targets.

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2014, 09:48:21 pm »
I am having no problems with my HA. (only use bodkins now though)
15/30 build
I use nomad bow and horn bow. I use nomad when more ranged and thin skinned people are on and horn when more plated people are on server.

As for valor, I get valor more rounds than I don't, HA best valor farmers IMO.
I am level 35 so I can understand people with lower levels having a harder time

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2014, 04:16:50 am »
Chase was running around as a HA scoring 15+ kills every map. Adapt your playstyles, dont shoot at plated horses, shoot riders, kill peasants and bump everything.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2014, 11:24:41 am »
Chase was running around as a HA scoring 15+ kills every map. Adapt your playstyles, dont shoot at plated horses, shoot riders, kill peasants and bump everything.

Has he tried it again or was that few months ago? Since then Horse archers have been nerfed heavily.

Imo still strong enough though.

Offline Chasey

• Tournament Champion
  • Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Chase
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2014, 08:11:16 pm »
+3
Been playing it for the past few weeks, seems perfectly fine to me. Able to top the score consistently and get valour more often than not
I like to fart on cold windows and lick the condensation :D

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2014, 12:40:47 pm »
Mm 5 infantry with  no ranged, no xbow, no throwing... Good ole' C-rpg builds... Better complain that we can't counter something even though we have 100% free choice as to how we make our builds.

5 infantry with shields + throwing and those HA will have to stay moving far away taking pot shots with their crap accuracy & shit damage, bam you as infantry have just contested Horse Archers.. Something no c-rpg player thought possible.

Also 5 HA on a open map is a pretty big target, on a tinier more urban map it's near impossible for all 5 to coordinate and attack the same targets.

ahh yes force all infantry into 1h/thrower builds :D seems a legit solution
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2014, 04:52:57 pm »
+2
but as someone said before (BK?) the melee gameplay is the unique part in this game and personally i think every single ranged class spoils the gameplay.

No it isn't. I can't think of any other game where I get to ride around as a horse archer.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2014, 10:35:31 am »
No it isn't. I can't think of any other game where I get to ride around as a horse archer.

World of Tanks
MechWarrior
loads of other games

no its not horses. but its mounted pewpew. exactly the same gameplay. but i guess you dont like it cus everybody else incl. enemy is also mounted pewpew. you want to be one of the only ones playing mounted pewpew against a bunch of melees on foot, right? you prefer to to have an advantage over the other team, otherwise you dont think its fun.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2014, 10:31:58 pm »
I have an idea. Could you make HA skill nerf your Riding skill stats somewhat?

This would represent the difficulty of controlling a horse while using a two handed ranged weapon. Higher HA reduces the riding penalty but have it always be present.

I've always considered melee cav to be a decent counter to ranged cav, something that most people don't even talk about. If you get swarmed by ranged cav, a melee cav is worthless, but if you get one isolated you can typically stay in his blindspot (back right area) and if he makes a mistake you will catch up to him and can 1 shot the rider or horse pretty easily.

Thing is this is very damn difficult with a decent player on an Arabian Warhorse, which is a lot of ranged cav players. They get 8+ riding (some HX do 10, which makes catching them impossible, and even difficult to hit as foot ranged.)

Giving a penalty to ranged player's on their horse's speed, maneuverability, etc would leave their strengths against infantry untouched, but make them more vulnerable to light and medium cavalry, which is already a (soft) counter.

tl;dr: Penalize the horse stats of a ranged cav player, to make light/medium cavalry a more effective counter.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:40:29 pm by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.