Poll

Vote for all that you feel apply...(up to 12)

All things are relatively balanced
51 (4.2%)
2h is OP
53 (4.4%)
4d Poles are OP
28 (2.3%)
2d Poles are OP
45 (3.7%)
Melee Cav is OP
51 (4.2%)
Ranged Cav is OP
100 (8.2%)
Xbow is OP
116 (9.6%)
Archery is OP
69 (5.7%)
Throwing is OP
78 (6.4%)
1h (w or w/o shield) is OP
41 (3.4%)
2h is UP
11 (0.9%)
4d Poles are UP
9 (0.7%)
2d Poles are UP
10 (0.8%)
Melee Cav is UP
12 (1%)
Ranged Cav is UP
10 (0.8%)
Xbow is UP
13 (1.1%)
Archery is UP
19 (1.6%)
Throwing is UP
17 (1.4%)
1h (w or w/o shield) is UP
21 (1.7%)
Team Balancer is broken...
104 (8.6%)
EXP System is broken...
88 (7.3%)
Game Modes need work...
69 (5.7%)
-- STABS (all weapons) are OP! --
102 (8.4%)
Fire Magic is OP
96 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 292

Author Topic: Overall Balance Poll : Q1 2014 (VOTE AGAIN, POLL UPDATED)  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Overall Balance Poll : Q1 2014 (VOTE AGAIN, POLL UPDATED)
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:35:37 am »
+6
OVERALL BALANCE POLL : Q1 2014  *** VOTE AGAIN, POLL UPDATED ***

Thought it would be interesting to see what the population thought at this point about the overall balance between weapon classes.
I think things are largely balanced at this point, but there's always room for improvement. 

A poll like this which combines so many different opinions helps avoid bias this way or that from individuals.

----------

If I had to list any balance tweaks that I would suggest they would be these though:
(click to show/hide)

---------

Just some thoughts. 
Main focus of this is the poll....as mentioned, anyone's individual thoughts are biased even if they try not to be.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:21:58 pm by Elindor »
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Sari

• Duke
  • Renown: 507
  • Infamy: 111
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Overall Balance Poll : Q1 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:54:17 am »
+1
Which xbows are you asking to be 2 shots per minute? Most rounds end in least 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. My MW hunting xbow takes 10 seconds to reload(on horseback with 62 wpf).

So the "notch mode" for bows, can you activate it or is it just there?

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:57:39 am »
He was saying that in real life that is how slow crossbows could be, not saying that in-game should be that slow.

From another thread that mentioned the unbalanced polearm issue:

Elegant poleaxe seems pretty balanced to me.
It is fairly long and held pretty high up and has metal at the bottom to even the weight:
(click to show/hide)

Thanks for pointing this out... the leverage you get from holding a polearm higher up allow you far more control over the otherwise heavy weapon. Also, the axe blade on polearms that were used for combat is not nearly as unwieldy as you might expect. These weapons were designed for the battlefield, not for chopping wood. The blades on the axe were far thinner than anything you would use to chop wood with. The 1 handed hatchet would more likely be unbalanced than any poleaxe. It is a shame, however, than the models for the long axe, long war axe, and great axe tend to look more like oversized wood-chopping axes and yes, based upon the model should perhaps all be unbalanced, super slow, and also have at least 10 more damage each. But due to balance and fun coming before reality, it is not so.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 06:36:14 am »
+1
Which xbows are you asking to be 2 shots per minute? Most rounds end in least 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. My MW hunting xbow takes 10 seconds to reload(on horseback with 62 wpf).

So the "notch mode" for bows, can you activate it or is it just there?

If you read more carefully I mention that 2 shots per min would be terrible for gameplay, and that I do not suggest that.

Notched mode would be activated.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 06:39:25 am »
+1
I hear you Jona about the blades, but the wooden shafts to be viable in combat were still rather thick.  I played lacrosse growing up and I am old enough that when I first started, some people still used wooden shafts instead of the titanium and other composite metals that replaced them.  They were heavy, and only around 5-6 ft long....if I extrapolate that to even longer and put a metal head on it, there is a lot of inertia there, definitely more than a lighter more balanced weapon like most swords, and yet the speed/maneuverability of the polearms seems just as high.

Offline Shaksie

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Double Thickshake
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 06:45:46 am »
Agree on all counts apart from unbalanced; I think they are already too penalized.
It's pretty much impossible to feint well with them (yes, I can feint with them but not quickly enough for them to be very hard to block, they just surprise people for the first few times) and pretty well every time I try to feint but it doesn't work, I will appear to feint but will actually swing.
I think there should be grades of unbalance, ranging from impossible to stop your swing once it starts to being able to stop it until almost the very end. Also, I think there needs to be some incentive to use them. Generally they are horrid for dueling which is kind of silly, I would personally love to use an unbalanced looking weapon but none of them work. Maybe they could give some additional slow when people are hit by them or if they block them, so that they are better for kicking/nudging or something like that.
In M:BG I very much think combat should be more bash (aka nudge) based which would allow large weapons to be usable in 1v1 situations. At the moment they are only effective if you sneak up on people or are supporting/supported by others. Or unless you are fighting against someone that sucks, but I don't think that's very reasonable for the weapon to be good vs crap people.
Regardless, the 2nd part MUST be fixed.

Also, I may well be wrong but I would have thought a sword would be significantly more heavy than an axe in real life. Seeing that the sword is completely metal and the metal not being very good at the time, you couldn't make them very thin so there would be quite a lot. Compare this to an axe which has a relatively very small piece of metal atop a substantially lighter wood handle, and I would've thought the axe would be more powerful, lighter (thus maybe faster?) but less wieldy than a sword
VERY nice boy :)

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 07:15:02 am »
+3
Please add a " I think the game is fine as it is" option, because I really don't have a problem with any one class. It only starts to get frustrating with things like ranged or cav in groups.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 07:25:45 am »
+1
Please add a " I think the game is fine as it is" option...

Added.

Offline Dionysus

• Duke
  • Renown: 696
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • I move-- for no man.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Art of War
  • Game nicks: Dionysus_AoW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 07:48:16 am »
+9
This isn't really a matter of game balance as it is just an oversight, but the throwing lance is a really melee-capable weapon that utilizes some ghost reach. The war spear also has some slight ghost reach, but I think that can be solved with just a simple re-measurement of the model. The throwing lance, however, does not seem like it is properly represented by the model, and I have a feeling it's because of the way it is held. I don't know enough about the technicalities of modeling and hit detection, so maybe I'm just spewing a bunch of bullshit.

Here is a very accurate and scientific model of the shenanigans I'm talking about.

(click to show/hide)

Notice the red line. That is the danger zone (I put it in red because it looks scarier that way).

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:50:57 am »
+1
Eli, the poleaxes are at most 142 cm long... 6ft converts to about 183 cm. And not only that, but a good 5-6 inches on either end are really skinny spikes. I am sure the wood is solid and pretty hefty, but it isn't exactly that long or wide.

Also comparing the weight of poleaxes to some of the larger 2handers shows that if anything more 2handers need to be unbalanced, but shouldn't be for gameplay reasons. The amount of leverage you get from holding it the polearm way compared to the 2hand way is incredibly useful.

This isn't really a matter of game balance as it is just an oversight, but the throwing lance is a really melee-capable weapon that utilizes some ghost reach. The war spear also has some slight ghost reach, but I think that can be solved with just a simple re-measurement of the model. The throwing lance, however, does not seem like it is properly represented by the model, and I have a feeling it's because of the way it is held. I don't know enough about the technicalities of modeling and hit detection, so maybe I'm just spewing a bunch of bullshit.

Personally I am not sure if the war spear has ghost reach or not, simply because the model is so skinny, long, and the speed is quite high. I just can't tell where it is. Does it have ghost reach? Maybe... but in order for me to tell I would first need to have an actual idea of where the weapon model ended in the first place! I tend to fight war spear users like I fight flamberge users... just always assume you are within range, and always block.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:54:58 am by Jona »

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Piok

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 10:25:40 am »
+4
Stab attack deserves own topic in Poll :idea:

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 10:37:05 am »
+5
Lol, so many people vote for throwing is OP?
Ah, right. NA.

(But seriously, I really hope throwing will become viable on strat, would be epic).

Offline bagge

• King
  • Renown: 1056
  • Infamy: 275
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: bagge
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 10:43:48 am »
+2
Ranged in general is op. Especially against high armor.. 8 shots with the second highest damage dealing bow is NOT enough.

Save the melee, save the world
I hope you guys get some sort of sticky balls deseases and smell like my armpits, sorry excusese for nolife fucking cunts you are.

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 11:02:04 am »
+1
Lol, so many people vote for throwing is OP?
Ah, right. NA.

(But seriously, I really hope throwing will become viable on strat, would be epic).

Throwing is viable on strat, and in fact its a lot of fun, its just factions dont take throwing weapons, i THINK Mercs were the only ones to take throwing stuff EU side.

Mendro and Godwin had a lot of fun
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?

Offline En_Dotter

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Main: Qunicy_En_Dotter; Alts: Guardian_En_Dotter; Guardian_Spiralle
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 11:04:05 am »
+1
I voted randomly cus i could do 12/15 votes (or something).

Anyway, stabs are pretty much retarded in the game and that is the most annoying thing in the game.
Nothing is better than eternal happiness.
Eating a sandwich is better than nothing.
Therefore, eating a sandwich is better than eternal happiness.