Author Topic: Archery Suggestion From a Non-Archer  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Archery Suggestion From a Non-Archer
« on: January 22, 2014, 05:39:31 pm »
+2
So here's something I've been thinking about and talking about with people recently...thought I'd put it out there.

I'm not an archer in cRPG nor have I spent time with bows in real life, but it seems to me (and from talking to people who have) that one thing cRPG archery is missing is the ability to "pre-load" or NOTCH an arrow.

What if there was a NOTCHED Mode that archers could go into, where they can load an arrow and then walk around with it notched?
(In this Notched mode, the arrow would be loaded into the bow, but the bow would not be yet drawn back)

PRO for the archer : a pre notched arrow could be fired faster than fully loading a bow (since all that has to be done is draw back the bow)
CON for the archer : when in notched mode, movement speed is reduced X% (25?) and time to switch to another weapon is increased

Thoughts?
Has this already been discussed and thrown out?

As a non-archer this kind of thing wouldn't bother me.  It would make archery possibly more fluid and not hopefully throw off the balance of things.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:49:06 pm by Elindor »
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Austrian

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1117
  • Infamy: 126
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Bro's are Bro's, forever.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Brotherhood
  • Game nicks: Austriano, Faust, Nestea
Re: Archery Suggestion From a Non-Archer
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 06:12:51 pm »
I'm not an archer in cRPG nor have I spent time with bows in real life....
Stopped reading here as a melee hero my old friend shouldn't suggest ways to nerf/buff/balance archery.
Have a good day sir.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:20:55 pm »

Thoughts?

I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:51:03 pm »
Creative thinking isn't appreciated here.  :lol:

This feature coupled with drastically reduced movement speed when wielding a bow would be a healthy alternative to the weight nerf. Since it would leave ranged free to melee without being chained to an iron ball, and xbows wouldn't be allowed to exploit the speed reduction, by shooting the archer while he's getting out of cover to release.

I would suggest a simple mouse click to notch the arrow, and holding it would still carry on the all shooting process, with or without notching it first.

Offline GRANDMOM

• Marshall
  • Renown: 920
  • Infamy: 140
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GRANDMOM
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:01:16 pm »
So here's something I've been thinking about and talking about with people recently...thought I'd put it out there.

I'm not an archer in cRPG nor have I spent time with bows in real life, but it seems to me (and from talking to people who have) that one thing cRPG archery is missing is the ability to "pre-load" or NOTCH an arrow.

What if there was a NOTCHED Mode that archers could go into, where they can load an arrow and then walk around with it notched?
(In this Notched mode, the arrow would be loaded into the bow, but the bow would not be yet drawn back)

PRO for the archer : a pre notched arrow could be fired faster than fully loading a bow (since all that has to be done is draw back the bow)
CON for the archer : when in notched mode, movement speed is reduced X% (25?) and time to switch to another weapon is increased

Thoughts?
Has this already been discussed and thrown out?

As a non-archer this kind of thing wouldn't bother me.  It would make archery possibly more fluid and not hopefully throw off the balance of things.

A good suggestion I think

We're working on something cooler than a blog.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:22:16 am »
+2
No.
1: A notched arrow would make it even harder for melee to approach if all archers are walking around like melee walks around with a lolstab cocked. It means where they now can only shoot 1 arrow at a short range distance, they would now be able to shoot two.
2: Making it take longer to pull a melee weapon is even worse. We aren't trying to coax archers into continuing arching, we WANT them to pull out a melee weapon. If it is going to take longer, they will just try to get another arrow off instead, making a melee weapon totally useless and making them get a 3rd quiver of arrows leading to even more arrow spam.

Nice thinking, but bad idea.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1699
  • Infamy: 179
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 02:01:18 am »

2: Making it take longer to pull a melee weapon is even worse. We aren't trying to coax archers into continuing arching, we WANT them to pull out a melee weapon. If it is going to take longer, they will just try to get another arrow off instead, making a melee weapon totally useless and making them get a 3rd quiver of arrows leading to even more arrow spam.

Who are we? Last thing I heard from Paul is that dedicated archery must be on par with other dedicated classes. He makes the changes.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 02:43:35 am »
+3
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:09:03 pm »
I still maintain that it would be in fact easier to balance the game if we kept with the hybrid dominance that crpg originally had.
Pock gobblers

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:15:52 pm »
I still maintain that it would be in fact easier to balance the game if we kept with the hybrid dominance that crpg originally had.

Yeah, but fun is not allowed in cRPG :!:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 02:13:45 am »

The only hybrid that is still the same is xbow/melee, but that is apparently untouchable.