Author Topic: Thread of Medieval Movies and TV shows  (Read 9131 times)

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
Re: Thread of Medieval Movies and TV shows
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2019, 10:07:04 pm »
Game of Thrones moved to become the lowest common denominator in the last few years, yeah there are good moments in the show still, but the comparison with what it was and what it is at the moment is painful. Of course I am still wondering how it's gonna go down and geniunely hoping that it becomes good again, but my expectations are minimum atm.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2019, 12:36:28 am »
+2
Game of Thrones moved to become the lowest common denominator in the last few years, yeah there are good moments in the show still, but the comparison with what it was and what it is at the moment is painful. Of course I am still wondering how it's gonna go down and geniunely hoping that it becomes good again, but my expectations are minimum atm.
Not as painful and bad as what TWD has become yet it is still popular.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2019, 04:12:59 am »
+5
The thing about fantasy that Hollywood doesn't seem to get is that its really about the journey and the adventure along the way.  Not the sinister plot twist that hook people in.

Like yes, LoTR is a 6 hours of midgets walking, but dammit that's what its all about. 

GoT decided to abandon the journey story arks and just teleports people where they need to be so they can fulfill the melodrama soap opera bullshit.

Like when was the last time there was a tavern brawl in the series?  Season 2?  Fuck me, every fantasy story needs at least 1 tavern brawl or unnecessary alcohol related violence at least once per season.

Hell even in CRPG the admins teleport us to the tavern brawl map at least once a night.

these bastards who make the decisions are not fantasy nerds, they build there castles in the sky on the backs of cheeto dusted, mountain dew swigging, DD playing nerds, without understanding what it is a proper fantasy story needs.

TLDR fuk them, but ima still watch it.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2019, 10:23:47 am »
If you feel like stretching your brain trying to translate English to English, with nice scenery. Trigger warning: Geralt of Rivia scabbards and metal slide sound effects
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2019, 01:43:15 pm »
For me the budget/scale of the show makes it almost a guaranteed success. Those huge battle scenes with the dragon CGI just ticks all the boxes for me.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2019, 04:53:19 pm »
+3
For me the budget/scale of the show makes it almost a guaranteed success. Those huge battle scenes with the dragon CGI just ticks all the boxes for me.

(click to show/hide)

True, with such a budget it is hard to make an entirely unwatchable show. I really hope Amazon doesn't blow it with their lotr series considering the budget that show is gonna have behind it. It really might be *the* show to replace GoT.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2019, 11:47:01 am »
+2
The Last Kingdom is a better GoT. Don't @ me

I don't have high hopes for this last season of Game of Thrones. First of all, the last few seasons have been dogshit compared to the first ones, as already stated in this thread.

Second, they're going to have to rush like fuck to wrap up all the plotlines. Nothing seems any closer to conclusion than they did six seasons ago, yet everything is supposed to be concluded satisfactorily in just one season? I sincerely doubt they're going to be able to pull it off.

Third, the best thing about the show has always been the nuance, the human conflict, the power plays, the little moments. Now there's every indication that the last season is going to be a classic "let's unite to fight the zombie horde + dragons and shit" fantasy. Not much room for intrigue there. Fighting a dumb zombie horde is just boring, and it's obvious which side the audience is going to root for.

Fourth, related to the last point, judging by the trailer and last season, they're more and more focused on these hero wank fantasies where Arya/Jon/whatever pull off unrealistic heroics, rather than the down-to-earth stuff of the first seasons.

Still going to watch it, but not that hyped. More looking forward to the Expanse and Bosch, for example.

Like yes, LoTR is a 6 hours of midgets walking, but dammit that's what its all about. 

It's what makes LoTR what it is, really. The world feels alive. It's the depiction of the journeys, the showing of these run-down taverns, the breakfasts, the miserable weather and wet clothes, campfires.... all of it makes the books and the movies feel really magical, like you're watching some alternate history or some shit, it's a believable world and feels like an adventure. Part of it is definitely because of how old I was when I first read the books and saw the movies, but nothing else has come close to giving me the same feeling as LoTR. I'm cautiously optimistic for the big-budget Amazon show, especially if it focuses on young Aragorn, but on the other hand, it's probably going to be about explosions and strong warrior girls saving the white male Aragorn constantly.

GoT, especially lately, is just ticking boxes for "huge battle at A, huge battle at B, bad ass moment at C", etc. No time for the little things that make the world believable and add context to it all.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:58:52 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2019, 01:53:01 pm »
Yeah the rushing to conclusion is easily my biggest grief with the show. All those filler episodes are pretty regrettable now that they gotta cram 2 seasons worth of quality story content into one season with 6 eps.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2019, 08:41:17 am »
+1
The Last Kingdom is a better GoT. Don't @ me

The Last Kingdom is great and I feel like every season it gets slightly better.

Offline Casul

• King
  • Renown: 1010
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • I like animals
    • View Profile
  • Faction: plate goons club, Krems
  • Game nicks: Cassi, Antarctica
  • IRC nick: Cassi
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2019, 03:59:55 pm »

GoT decided to abandon the journey story arks and just teleports people where they need to be so they can fulfill the melodrama soap opera bullshit.

wtf you saying about Lotr?!!?1
and yes, fuck GoT.

What is GoT rather than a show shaped into exactly what the modern people want to see? Betrayals, murder, nudity, sex, nice horny shaved (xD) muscular young boys and a little bit of blood.

Its ok, but thats it. The only really nice thing I can say about GoT is that it abondoned the usual way of keeping the main protagonists alive, good to see (until this point declared) protagonists dying casually and randomly within a short scene, thats about all that kept me into the show. The greedy movie industry doesnt allow any more content than spectacular scenes without any hidden context.

Lotr on the other hand actually has changed the world of fantasy forever. Its no doubt the best trilogy/movie ever and its way more than just stinking hobbits walking around. Any scene has a special message and pretty much displayed intellectual content to still be discussed and discovered to this day.
Its also the reason why the movie world takes fantasy genre serious.
Maybe if Coronoa virus gets rid of 50 percent or more of the world population we can do without a pope and religion.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2019, 05:04:07 pm »
The Last Kingdom is great and I feel like every season it gets slightly better.
Season 2 was great, season 3 was so-so - too many heroics and almost every episode was just Uthred with his band of hero guys going around and winning. Still gonna watch season 4, when that eventually happens.

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2019, 06:35:56 pm »
+1
wtf you saying about Lotr?!!?1
 Any scene has a special message and pretty much displayed intellectual content to still be discussed and discovered to this day.
Its also the reason why the movie world takes fantasy genre serious.

I am  Lotr fan, but the fact that its just a movie about walking is a common criticism from people who don't like it. 
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2019, 02:41:59 pm »
I am  Lotr fan, but the fact that its just a movie about walking is a common criticism from people who don't like it.
I bet those people love 80s action movies and modern superhero movies. Constant, mindless, pointless action. What could be more fun!
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2019, 11:07:26 pm »
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Asheram

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2019, 07:41:39 pm »
PENDULUM