Author Topic: The Worth of a Player  (Read 12913 times)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
The Worth of a Player
« on: April 13, 2011, 06:33:45 pm »
+22
i don't know about you, but as i was new to the game i asked myself what makes a good player and how to become one. Some answers we have collected here and i hope they will help you.

in form of team support

• you tk a lot - well don't spam, be more cautious with your big 2h/polearm in close spaces, don't shoot into melee, don't bump into melee, just try not to damage the own folks it is bad for the multiplier, don't be an a** who tk's out of revenge/rage/fun or other intentionally reasons
  • you bring siege equipment - this goes by mostly unnoticed, but may be vital for the team moral and defence or offence tactics, not within siege anymore but still in strategus
  • you come to support another player who is in trouble - if it happens regularly with the same, he will know and sometimes thank you for it or at least gives you a sign of aknowledgement like an upper block or rising his shield.
  • you are infantry and go hoplite or pike men with hordes of horses - if you survive and kill enemy riders that way on a regular bases they will respect your pike or spear, some may take even a way around you
  • if you stay with archers on open field to shield them against cav, they will know you over time
  • if you are an archer, evolve excellent battle awareness(armor/pan view+zoom) shoot archers/cavalry/backstabers/flankers, inform teammates of dangers, as long there is no enemy too close to you, you have the time, correct regularly spotting, enemies/numbers/general direction they come from will help the team a lot and will give you the respect for making them aware to us
  • you have armor, if you are a naked dude you earn headshakes at best and at worst a ban, durability of yourself helps you and the team
  • so you are gen 3+ and feeling bada** :) well how about sharing some of your weapons with others, it is always nice for new players to get at the spawn a nice heirloomed weapon, as well weapons you wouldn't heirloom otherwise and are needed just for some tactics now
  • if you team up with good players and try to protect them, you can learn from them and they will respect you over time and possibly give you good advice, listen to them
  • if you have idears of tactics, ask if it would be doable, if you are new don't just tell the team what to do, if you are unknown they wont listen, but asking is another animal you always can ask if something is doable and learn that way if others would do the same or why not
  • shouts and teamchat warnings, i can't even begin with to describe the importance to warn your teammate about incoming dangerous, often people just don't have the awarness for everything what is happening around them, so tell em. Some small chat warnings i use often are "inc left/right/flag/gate/flag gate", or when something is in serious trouble "FLAAG, left/right flanc NOW, BD heavy inc", include rough estimates of numbers of enemies so people know what they are going up against. For siege, let people know about achievements like "gate open, left/right tower under our control, siege tower inc, BD down", all this informs the team about the status of the ongoing fights at different places and they have more information at hand to how to approach that situation. Another siege specific warning, you got overrun at flag and die and have 30 sec respawn time, type in FLAG anyways and those who then respawn sooner should instantly type in FlAG so the whole team knows of the danger.
  • Being verbose about making team plans, listening to what other people say and then reaching a consensus
  • Not trying to get last strike on every single opponent, being conscious of your team mates and creating the opportunity for them to deliver the killing blow(f.e. hold your attack open against 2h/polearm so they are forced to hold their block into that direction, that way others can hit with another attack direction) and adjusting your strike direction to the one your teammates use f.e. if you are aside to a piker use left right overhead attacks as you know piker do their usual stab attack
  • hey ranged dude, there is a fight nearby or some enemy is hugging your flag, pick up a weapon and go get the problem solved instead of hoping for a lucky shot
  • linebreaker: you get into the main group of the enemy, better from an angle so not all of them see you approaching or may think the others will deal with you. There then you go all out moving mostly forwards so people can't keep up with you and you get swings to anyone in your way. Best outcome you take some out, distracted the whole lineformation, timed it in a way that your main party arrived while they enemy where disctracted and therefor get beaten down and come out of it clean on the other site dragging people with you which then will be at some point get picked up from your force who just chrushed the line totally(a man may dream). On siege this would be going up the ladder first and trying to push to left or right of the wall so that you can distract the defenders by dragging them from the entry point and perhaps even getting some dmg out.

in form of tricks and tactics
  • using PAN/Armor View while going in one direction, letting the enemy think you are unaware and turning around in last second to stab them, stop the horse and similar things. Also as inf honk, try to use it while in close combat, that way you make sure noone gets int your back
  • read the battle and learn to know when to push or pull back. Crumbling defences to dust in this way or luring crowds of enemies away so your mates can crush the others.
  • Turtle the flag. Throw up your shield and scratch your back with the flagpole. Hold out till reenforces come for help.
  • skirmishing: lure people out into the open where your cav awaits them and by that thin out the enemy lines, if there is no friendly cav, try not lure too many and pull back so much till some loose interest and you think you can handle the numbers following you

lonesome heroes way

• if you go flancing/rogue/ninja and survive - your enemies which didn't and your fellow rogue squad will know you over time
  • if you survive as last man standing without delaying or leeching and a positive k/d ratio , you will be known, if you kill those last enemies, you will earn respect sometimes cheers for saving the multiplier :)
  • if you alone fighted off 5+ enemies as last man standing and killed most of them, you get respect for a nice try if you didn't survive, but if you managed to kill em all you'll be a hero

in form of k/d
don't take this too seriously, i didn't, still someone who kills stuff, does kill stuff however he managed to do it

• -k/d you either are an a** or have really bad luck. People may hate you and you are considered a hopeless player, who is working against his teammates
  • 0/0 you weren't even there
  • 0/d you were there - they may call you peasant.
  • k/d where k<d you were there and tried not to be a peasant- but you are still ... a peasant.
  • k/d where k=d you paid for your blood - some guys will have an eye on you because you killed them several times ... no peasantanymore
  • k/d where k>d you are not too bad - sometimes you may get a kind word in the chat
  • k/d where k>2*d you are ok - you get kind words more often
  • k/d where k>3*d you are good - people like to have you on their team and say so
  • k/d where k>4(+)*d you are a god benief the other players - they pray to you and start fanclups in your name or hate you so much that they wanna constantly kick/ban/rage against you

in form of battle ethics:
  • don't go for spawn kills
  • don't attack someone who is intentionally unhorsing to give you a fight till he has unhorsed
  • you leave those alone who want to duel till there are no enemies left and only if there is a general consensus then you still don't engage till that duel is done. If someone of your team engages into a duel, you can try to get him to disengage but if he wants to attack anyways then there is no consensus and normal battle takes place, don't disengage on all costs if that then would lose you the round. If you disengage anyways, be clear that that could be seen as grieving as you wouldn't help your teammate and send him to his death, making his gaming experience somehow smaller. If you really want to duel that player that badly there are allways teh duel servers
  • don't make the kick animation after you have killed someone as that is seen as insult and general sign of disrespect
  • don't try to deminish the enemies victories through talking crap in the chat system, but congratulate them and then find a way to beat them next round anyways.
  • try to stay calm when you are insulted and "show"(!) them how to play
  • if you failed and th/tked someone, say sry at least in the team chat, doesn't matter if he gives you a vote for teamwounding, it is about your mindset not his
  • after you have been th/tked, don't just vote for him but try to reason with yourself if there was intention, if it was a mistake, what happened there then vote or not. Also you may jsut consider not to vote as you yourself do th/tks from time to time out of failure. Whenever a player makes an apology, recognize it in team chat with f.e. "np". Again this is about your mindset not his.
  • if you killed the last dude on the field, give an upperblock as sign of respect for the enemy team

in form how you treat new players
Depending on how we are treating new members of the community they more or less likely will stay.
  • Those who are choosing to flame and insult them we can point out to the admins.
  • We ourselves still can try to help the new guys and make them feel welcome and overall show them there are not only asshats here but a few human beings who still care for the game and the fun it may provide us all with.
  • A few simple phrases you all can do when you become aware of someone who just joiend.
    "Welcome to cRPG :"
    "Do you need some help?"
  • Pointing out the cRPG website and the crpg forum, is a good thing when done in a polite way and to the point of a problem whihc could be solved there.
  • Inviting them into teamspeak if you get the feeling that he seems like an ok guy, that way clans can take on the task to take in a new member and give him straight away all help he would need.
  • Or you stick with him ingame, play/protect him, show him a few tricks you youself think maybe beneficial for him ...

what do you respect in other players over what has been writen here? What makes a good player? What do you think doesn't belong in this compilation?

Please post and i'll try to modify it if reasonable.

PS: as not native english speaker i don't mind if you correct my english as well ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:22:31 pm by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Nogar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nogar, Aethril, Devorath
Re: The Worth of a Player
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 06:46:56 pm »
+1
paesant
isnt it peasant?

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 06:51:57 pm »
paesant
isnt it peasant?
yes :) thanks, i just looked it up in dictionary :)

Offline Torak

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 5
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninjas
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Torak, Ninja_Ice_style, samuria_Torak
  • IRC nick: Ninja_Torak
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 06:58:13 pm »
+1
Great post man :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 07:00:25 pm »
  • k < d/0 you either are asshole or have really bad luck. A lot of people hate you and you are considered as a hopeless player, who as one often doesn't let his team win.

I'd add it.

Offline Sean_Drew

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: no faction
  • Game nicks: my secret ;-) Only 4 chars now : 1h/shielder , 2h , xbower , archer. The other 25 chars are deleted.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:25:32 pm »
+1
Your posting started good , but ended bad.

The k/d list is wrong , cause people can be good for the team , with few kills. In some rounds archers hurt many different enemies , so that a infantry player like you can kill them with one hit. You wonder and say .... wow .... my sidesword is really cool .... and i have many kills, so i´m cool too. That´s right , but the archers , who have hurt 5 enemies badly, have maybe 0 kills, but were good for the team.

Maybe a pikeman , who protects archers from cav , has 0 kills , killed 3 horsies and worked for the team , cause these archers could kill many enemies this round, which they weren´t able to do, if they were killed by the cav.

What i want to say : There are many good teamplayers out there , with few , or no kills. But they are not peasants or bad players. Dead Horsies are not count .... but it´s good for the team , if pikeman , archers, xbower are killing this horsies , so that the teammates could kill the cavplayer more easy. Drawing attention on me with my 1h/shielder is good for the team , while my 2h mate can easily kill the enemy from behind. Maybe i have 0 kills, but i played for the team. Hurt enemies are not count , but you can kill them easyier , with next hit. But all the hurting isn´t count too. Getting a siege shield into position is not counted. Warning your mates , that a cav enemy is incoming from behind is not count ..... such things ...

You can´t COUNT a good teamplayer.
Sorry , my english is bad ... ;-) I do my best :-)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 07:30:46 pm »
Thanks Torak :)

• k < d/0 you either are asshole or have really bad luck. A lot of people hate you and you are considered as a hopeless player, who as one often doesn't let his team win.

I'd added it.
added

@Sean_Drew
I am aware that you can't count any good efforts made by teammates, therefor i have as first orientation the more general listing. The other listings are a different view to the topic, there are players who like to think only in terms on one of these listings there are also player who may consider all of them. I for myself try to consider all of them, not that i always would be able to follow them myself.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:38:19 pm by kinngrimm »

Offline Sean_Drew

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: my secret ;-) Only 4 chars now : 1h/shielder , 2h , xbower , archer. The other 25 chars are deleted.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 08:04:10 pm »
Ok Kinngrimm. You k/d overview is at least funny. ;-)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:15:50 pm »
Ok Kinngrimm. You k/d overview is at least funny. ;-)
:) we shouldn't take games that seriously, should we ?

Offline Sean_Drew

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 08:30:51 pm »
nope ^^  :wink:

Offline victis honor

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Victis_honor, victis (alt), HoboWhitaShotgun (alt)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 08:40:37 pm »
+1
unarmed/unarmored players..... they need to be banned asap! If they ar epoor then they shoud balance there loadout better and get some skill so there side has more chance of winning.  the having no wpn/clothes bc i just retired is also utter bullshit. If you do one of above pls piss off and play another game.
noooooooo not awesome anymore!!

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 08:59:00 pm »
Take the K/D ratio stuff out, it's stupid
My K/D's are awful but I feel I'm valuable because I'll dehorse other cavalry as a cavalry myself, stun enimies as they attack with my horse-crossbowmen, shield 2h's and poles from ranged with my shielder and poke enimies with my pike with my polearm to distract them
so no my K/D is not good, but in terms of how I help the team, I beleive I'm pretty damn good
Oh, and noob cavalry players, if you see a really good cavalry guy on your team get dehorsed (Templar_Tommy, BlueGreen etc (EU servers)) offer him yours, he'll probaly make much better use of it :)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 11:13:07 pm »
@victis honor
added unarmored/naked dudes

@LordRichrich
added giving away gear

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 11:33:32 pm »
The value of a player can be accurately estimated by the ratio between the lost and the won rounds. This idea is already developped in another thread. Come and vote !

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,3669.0.html

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 12:15:53 am »
+3
•-k/d Alas, you killed one for your teammates who was trying to steal your frag (see below). That is too bad because you were not in need of help for this one.
•0/0 leeching peacefully behind the barn
•0/d someone found you behind the barn.
•k/d where k<d you have encountered a clan, they ganged up at 5 against you in what they consider a fair fight. Welcome to the Valhalla.
•k/d where k=d you had the luck to meet some challenges, maybe a fair 1-to-1 duel and had a chance to shine.
•k/d where k>d you know what is useless and what is worthwhile in the equipment list.
•k/d where k>2*d you know how to wait for the last minute of the round to finish the wounded off. Your team might lose but who cares? Frags only matter when it comes to gain renown.
•k/d where k>3*d you master the art of stealing frags from your teammates. Your longer weaponry and you ability to attack engaged fighters ensure you the top of the scoreboard. Beware: your eagerness might make you killed by the teammate you are trying to rob (see above):
•k/d where k>4(+)*d you have searched and discovered the flaws of the mechanics of the game (armored horse archer pre-patch; PS 11 + barmace; Riding 10 + heirloomed sarranid horse, etc.). The game has probably lost its flavour but nothing is too expensive to grow your e-peen.

:wink: