Author Topic: The Worth of a Player  (Read 12914 times)

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
Re: The Worth of a Player
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 01:58:50 am »
I admire the heroic spammer who, without care for their own safety, plunges straight into the belly of the enemy's formation. I always appreciate this, for not only are they epic, but they also distract the enemy opposite me, for they now have somebody behind them left swinging like crazy.

The second they turn around I get a free kill :P
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 02:10:04 am »
Are they fun to play with and against?

The only criteria worthy of note.

I play this game to have fun after all.  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline Mithlodir

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • The short answer? No!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bogumili
  • Game nicks: Mith_The_Pew_Pew_Magnet
  • IRC nick: Mith
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 03:01:18 am »
(click to show/hide)

+1 from this turtle. Entirely too often you are stuck on a ladder because 5 ppl with 2h/polearm  think they can make it to the top of the wall without being shot/thrown to pieces

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 03:26:15 am »
+1
My respect goes to the person who after ive saved their spamming arse 8 times that day spares a minute of their time to assist me when ive been facehugged by a shielder with my pike out.

That said its hardly surprising i respect few of the so called heroes.
Turtles

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 03:54:29 am »
K>5*d- you are chuck Norris.
K>0d- you are a good archer that is on a winning team. Winning as in 4-0
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:09:07 am by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 11:15:30 am »
As i have seen lots of new players around since my return, i hope bringing this thread up will inspire some of them.

welcome to crpg

and

There is no single safe place to be - If you keep moving you will more likely be the one who surprises someone and not the someone been surprised
If you get killed within the first minute by cavalry as infantry honk, it most likely isn't about too many cavalry or not, but you been dump running out like a crazy man, later in the game there will be less cavalry so more opportunities to get out. If you like me are a crazy man anyways, have something with you to protect yourself against cavalry and stick to steep hills, map ends, in general terrain where horses have problems to navigate. Also make it a habit to use armor view, even if in close combat.

see you on the fields of blood and despair
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline k4ts0u

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Jabbar_Katsou
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 11:36:21 am »
Nice read. Thanks

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 02:47:33 pm »
It is truly a shame you can't judge a player reliably. K/D sucks. My pikegen, I staggered tons of people for free kills without ever getting the kill myself. My KD sucked until I actually got 5 PS, but I still really helped my team. (Who repayed me by letting my 1v1 with a longspear. Alot.)

As a shielder, many times I simply hold up my shield and facehug the enemy because I see a teammate coming up from behind. Or maybe I'll see that the enemy is in a disorganized line formation. Infantry in the front, ranged in the back. I'll simply hold up my shield, block the first hit, and run into the ranged. Funny to see them all pull out their 0-slot hammers or cheap swords and maces and try to break my shield with 1-5 PS. In the meantime, my team dominates their infantry while I get mauled from every direction by 4-5 archers/throwers/xbows.

Recently, the new fad is horse xbows. My new support tactic is to just distract them as much as possible. They aren't that good and don't exactly fire at the same time, so I can block their shots 1 by 1. Best i've done is hold off 3 for 2 minutes in a gambeson and a longspear (was teaching a friend how to drag a thrust). Actually managed to kill one. Did my team notice or care? Hah! Wear some armor noob! Get a real weapon! etc.

While I can go for kills and end up stupidly positive. I find I do better when I am in the middle or lower end of the scoreboard because I did something better for the team. Way too many times do I see myself 15-20/1-5 and losing every round because I kept goingalone and killing a few peasants, dueling a few people etc.

TL;DR, KD isn't everything. Many worthwhile things will go unnoticed. Just keep in mind, it is a team's game. Be content by knowing you did your part.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 07:57:53 pm »
@k4ts0u
if it was of any use then my deed is done :)

(click to show/hide)
well actually i am glad that judging the worth of a palyer is not only about k/d, in my beginning i would have been majorly discouraged if i would have been convinced somewhat that as a peasent i wouldn't be able to help at all.

(click to show/hide)
dragging the attention of a part of the enemy forces is one of the best ways to assure victory, they charge you and hunt you, as long you survive you will have that attention :) now you only need to tiem it correct that your reinforcements come in time. The other way arround is you wait till the enemy doesn't see you because his is hit from another site and then strike. Those who master skirmishing will not always have high k/d but, they will devide the enemy and by that the others in our team may take those chances.
I often get hunted down by 5-10 dudes, sure i mostly die then, but i have a great laugh when they then notice that those they were ment to protect are meanwhile gone or they themselves have now to face even more dudes because they just came that way ... like there are no patterns how maps work ^^

(click to show/hide)
i noticed aswell increasing numbers in horse xbow, but still i think they are inferior to horse archery, but that is only my personal opinion please noone kill me for that now ^^

(click to show/hide)
as in RL, anyone has a purpose, even if you don't know yourself yet your own, you have one, some may manage to give themselves a purpose some just copy the purpose of others, doesn't really matter, as long you enjoy it that way you play, then there is nothing wrong with how you play(Eu Server Rules included)

(click to show/hide)
true. Today i was told by Simon_HRE, i would be a bad teamplayer. I didn't answer on that, as i asked myself is that a fact? Well i go mostly out on the flanks killn stuff there, i am on the flanks from the start because i never liked the center of the battle, where often so much is going on and noone really has a grip on things, you get or deal more th's/tk's. At the time i started with M&B(a week perhaps with 3 duels and some siege and battles, couple of hours) before i started crpg, as a complete noob and additionaly at the times of the XP Cloud, i was bound to be close to others ... all the time and i began to hate it. I had pain when i th someone and i died like a moskito all over the place. over several generations i looked out for alternatives and around generation 4-7 i decided i would mainly go for flanks now and therefor constructed my builds. Back to the question am i a good teamplayer, in my opinion i am not a particular good one but bad :) no, i kill stuff , i come to help to those who are close and in need, i protect those who need protection at times and if that all doesn't count i kill stuff so that there are less enemies ... so Simon_HRE, you can't get to me  :mrgreen:

And yes i am often the single infantry around horse dudes on the flank ... mostly we get along  :twisted:

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 01:23:01 am »
+1
Personally 2 people earned my respect in EU servers. I think they'll become good examples, and somewhat different examples what you have mentioned in your main post.

First one is Erzengel:
When I couldn't decide which build is good or which weapon is good to loom, I therefore asked it in the global chat hoping to get some useful advice. Erzengel answered all of my questions in the global chat, and give even more advice. I even bothered him via messaging and he still answered me.
After I have retired and became a 2hander from a 1hander, I gave him my heirloomed long espada eslavona during matches before someone accepted my offer at the market (in exchange of a 2handed). Even when Erzengel is in other team, I informed him that I will be dropping my sword in the front of the siege tower and did so seconds before he came. After dropping the sword, I ran away as masses of enemies were coming that way.

Second one is Makelele:
At first, I saw this guy in the rageball. He was a good team player and a scorer. Many matches I have won with him and sometimes lost because he was in the other team. Later, I saw him in shiny armors and on a plated horse in a siege server. Even though this seems like a bad idea, He bumped many enemies near the flag and saved the day for his team. I know how he saved it, because I was one of his enemies at the flag.
Nowadays, I saw him with a steel covered shield and with jarids. He got bored of his class and used respec as he said. He also said "I'm throwing shit now". What I remember of him was, he had low PT those days and found himself another way to be useful. I remember how he saved the day with an unusual method. Blocking the passage with his shield for not letting the enemy to pass. I know how he saved the day, because I was one of his enemies who tried to get past of him to reach the flag.

There are many usual methods to get known and earn the respect of others, but sometimes unusual methods make you more remembered.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 09:43:17 am »
I get great KDR ingame with a minimal of 4.2.
But i sometimes tend to teamhit due to the fact that im a 39 str build using unbalanced weapons all the time.
Also since yesterday i own a mw bamboo spear , so now i usualy pick one good guy to follow me and grabs the bamboo spear .
But sometimes teammate abondon me hardcore , and because of the 3 agi i cant flee and this leaves me so fucked since i cant dodge cav ,archers and ganks . Ganks are realy hard to beat with my build since im easily surrounded but at the other hand everybody that gets hit by me usualy dies in one hit so it is quite dangerous to gank me.
What would be your opinion about my worth?

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 09:55:36 am »
I get great KDR ingame with a minimal of 4.2.
But i sometimes tend to teamhit due to the fact that im a 39 str build using unbalanced weapons all the time.
Also since yesterday i own a mw bamboo spear , so now i usualy pick one good guy to follow me and grabs the bamboo spear .
But sometimes teammate abondon me hardcore , and because of the 3 agi i cant flee and this leaves me so fucked since i cant dodge cav ,archers and ganks . Ganks are realy hard to beat with my build since im easily surrounded but at the other hand everybody that gets hit by me usualy dies in one hit so it is quite dangerous to gank me.
What would be your opinion about my worth?

You are useless.  :mrgreen:

Try spectating Gnjus to see how to properly play with that build and not to get shot to peaces of ganked all the time.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 04:40:50 pm »
I can only really comment on battle and I am still kind of new, but anyway:

You should be able to recognise from a distance the players who generally do well for their team.
Never assume a round is won just because you have more players. Press tab and see if theres someone you have to account for...I've seen some crazy defeats and victories just because people forgot about a certain player
The most important part of a round can be with the last 10 or so players..if you want the biggest impact on the round its worth staying alive until then, unless you do something awesome beforehand.
Don't get tunnel vision and over extend. Try to stay aware of the bigger picture and the worth of taking down a player. If you know its someone that could destroy your team then gang up on him if possible
Don't go soloing, its not a competition for who the best dueller is. Battle isn't for showing off, and there is no honour, just wins and losses
Always secure the kill, it doesn't matter who gets the last hit just make sure he dies. But don't go trying to get the last hit on someone with team mates all around him, back off and cover an area he might go to
If you know you're going to die and are surrounded, go in random directions and spam attacks..the idea is to get them to hit each other and you might get some hits in yourself before going down
Offer suggestions for tactics, but don't assume you can get 60 players all following a plan. Sometimes you have to work with the assumption people will just press w and follow whoever decides to lead on that round

This all might sound quite keen, but thats best case scenario stuff. I don't always care to play with all this in mind :D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:43:18 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 04:49:35 pm »
+1
Also, try not to die.

Harder than it sounds.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2012, 09:43:27 am »
@corwin
this thread should be for new players who need our help or for those still want to learn more, please keep the trolling down  :wink:

@george
your build, your weapons/armor and your mind as well  form your role i guess. So there is no really bad build in my opinion, it comes down how you handle it. Bamboo spear is a great weapon for stabbing out of second rank f.e. . 39/ Str is surely something anyone need to worry about, if i would face you more often i would recognize the fact that you are able to oneshot me and would be carefull. If you got maul you definetly have a large exclamation mark above your head and i would try to trick you and those who support you by target switching. Here comes the often mentioned footwork into place, with that low of agility in your case you have a problem there and really need support of teammates to give you air. So you need to have an eye on if your your partners have an open strike ready, then you can also go into open strike position more safely  if not, you will still be outspammed. I would try to get your teammates in between me and at times when you have raised your attack i would switch from attacking your teammates to attack you ... and hopefully getting the timing right. It mostly depends on the situation. Still in one of your generations to come i would suggest a more balanced build and much later when you are more experienced a build rather focused on agility with high athletics(it is also about learning what others can do and you need to be prepared for).

@Grumbs[some very good tips, thanks, i hope you don't mind that i tried to edit them for some more perspectives]
overtime when you got to know the players you will be able to recognize some of them, some these but rather go in disguise so they can't be majorly targeted.
Pressing tab casually never hurts, at round start to see who is on the server and topping the board(you can determine some of the things you may face or would be able to avoid), after 1-2 minutes to see how it is going(when you see you have fewer then the enemy there maybe a point where you need to take more risks to even the odds), and as you said at the end to see who is still alife.
I disagree on the soloing part partially, as a new player you are totally correct, but when you got the basics and want a bigger and riskier challenge you can try flanking or even going ninja(the differences are blurry at times  :D ) For that you will need exactly the map, have planed out a route in your mind, so you have less risk to be confronted by too many cav or run into the main mob of the enemy. You need to be comfortable in fighting against 2-5 guys, you need to customize your build for that purpose(a flanker is not only a "agi" whore but especially an athletics fanatic.
Securing kills +9000, i myself get mindless at times, just on automode and trying to kill the next dude, when then i get th because we attack 1 single guy with 3+ of ours ... silly me and when then that dude finishes of the team i could bite me in the a** for not activating my brain more.
Outnumbered is one of the most intense situations and i love them, you can target switch to another dude with an open attack to get him down, you can run through them either with block or with attack open and hit at the instance you see an opening you can backpedal spam, you can try to outmanouver them when they try to spam you, going left/righ that brings the enemy often into their own strikes and much more, there are some players out there which do especially well in these situations, watch them and see how they time things or if only to stay in awe  :P

@Dexxtaa
seen you yesterday couple of times on NA Servers, respect, now i know what is all the fuzz about you  :shock:
And your tip  :mrgreen: Zen of crpg
Lately again i often thought about Survivability, as it gives you the opportunity to strike. You see there are many players out there with the concept, the more dmg the better, as you need fewer strikes to kill someone(if you are able to hit him), which is fine, also with high iron flesh and a good armor your survivability is really increased, still if you play mindless, a couple of hits and you are done nonetheless. Then there are the so called agi whores, they have less in IF, less armor, less PS, but more athletics which opens up a big box of new tricks you can try to learn. For starters, they can avoid fights they guess they may not survive, then they choose the terrain and time. In this game it is all mixed in, from the point of Zun Tzu these are 3 major factors to win a fight. Location(hill against cav f.e.), Strike when he is week(sneak attack or targets you think you can handle more easily), timing(the dude is looking into his telescope to target another ranged ... he doesn't see me coming, you see the trap of someone prepared for your team out of another direction ...) ....