Author Topic: Solid Builds  (Read 277294 times)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Re: Solid Builds
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2011, 07:17:14 am »
You mean agi has nothing to do with swing speed? If not what does besides wpf? I just kept getting double swung on constantly. I wasn't able to get a swing off on my turn most times. Now I am 12/20 at lvl 26 and I am finally able to retaliate.

I tried all the weapons but depending on my mood I switch now between 3; elite scimitar, steel pick, and broad one handed ax. I carry a spear as well.
Agi does not affect swing speed. It does increase WM which gives WPF which does affect it. At 100 (effective) WPF you use the weapon AS STATS ARE LISTED.
Every additional ~20 or so WPF adds around 1 more weapon speed to a weapon. I don't have the exact values. There is a sweet chart somewhere in these forums.
With any of those 1h you listed, you will never get out-swung unless you have bad footwork direction / not turning into attacks, in which case having more wpf will not help. The athletics usually has a MUCH more profound effect than the increased wpf.

if having a 15/21 build will mean you can retaliate -- ok. I would work on your conscious footwork more. I've been playing a 36/3 onehander  on-and-off for my skip the fun character for the past 2 weeks or so. with 0 WM and 3 agi, I never get outswung with a 97 speed iberian mace.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:20:05 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline SuperSix

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2011, 04:28:27 am »
Does this mean a STR build would benefit a PA user better?

Say I wanted to specialize in glaive or LHB, would 15/24 glance too much?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2011, 08:56:55 am »
Does this mean a STR build would benefit a PA user better?

Say I wanted to specialize in glaive or LHB, would 15/24 glance too much?
Glaive and LHB are only going to glance if you have poor distance control on an agility build.
-->Hit with the end of the weapon, not the haft.
An agility buiild is fine with them. Just don't hug your opponent and you won't glance.

However, on a strength build since your damage will be so overwhelming, you can hit with the haft of the weapon too and not glance often.

I don't know what you are asking. I prefer long weapons like LHB and glaive on strength builds since that cancels the weakness of the build out. Strength builds one weakness is being kited by an agility build that has a longer weapon, and thus never being in range. Which is why strength builds should use long weapons if on open field.

Everyone should use medium/short weapons in siege though. Especially now with ground collision, etc.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Odion

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Odion_IV, Odion_Power
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2011, 11:48:51 am »
what now would you say is the best build for a skip the fun hourse archer?

Offline Ghostie

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
  • To live and die by the BASS.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clanless
« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2011, 07:04:35 pm »
I've started with cRPG only a couple of weeks ago, and I find myself hooked.

After the initial frustration of completely and utterly failing at crossbow sniping, I've switched to a 1h shielder build, the very cookie cutter in the original post.

21/15 with 7 IF and 7 PS by level 30. I'm at 19 now and still trying to figure out what armour and weapon to use in the long run.

At the moment I'm trundling about with my plate covered round shield in a mail hauberk, leather gloves, mail chausses and a helmet with neckguard, the leftovers of my failed aralbest career. And I'm swinging/thrusting a warhammer.

Considering I'm still just an average player on a good day and keeping the upcoming upkeep in mind, what armour/weapon/shield combination would you suggest? I've yet to digest the complicated formula for determining my wpf loss, but I'm hoping 146 by level 30 should be enough?

Cheers!

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2011, 07:41:12 pm »
140ish wpf seems to be the sweet spot for me to be effective with whatever given weapon I've chosen to main, enough accuracy for bows (in the past anyway), throwing accuracy and weapon speed. If you have a really fast weapon I find you can get by with less but it's up to you.

Armor and weapon I feel also comes down to personal preference as in the case with armor it might protect more but at 5 athletics you might find you can't maneuver as well. For the weapon you could carry a back-up that has pierce/blunt/shield-breaking capabilities but again this might slow you down some and a lot of those types of weapons are shorter so more face-hugging and anti-juking movements are needed when trying to close the gap. The shield I would just say find one you like that has a speed you can live with and enough durability to go with it.

Weapons I feel really just come down to style as you can be effective with most any of them if you become comfortable with it's speed/length ratio and it does around 30ish damage (at least for cut).
And how!

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2011, 01:29:46 am »
+1
what now would you say is the best build for a skip the fun hourse archer?
15/24 or 18/18  as listed in the starting post.
27/12 can't use desert/course/arabian anymore. It can still use the steppe horse and such, so it is still viable just not as beastly as it used to be. HA need to be able to move fast enough/aneuever well enough to not get lanced by an enemy lancer and that is all.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2011, 01:07:58 am »
give me a good hoplite build, agi and STR. WM optional. I  had tons of fun with my 27/12 man at arms build, but range is pissing me off :/

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2011, 02:22:21 am »
give me a good hoplite build, agi and STR. WM optional. I  had tons of fun with my 27/12 man at arms build, but range is pissing me off :/
I have a post somewhere listing every hoplite build. Not sure if it is this thread or a hoplite specific thread. I'm not going to find it, though.

Offline Ghostie

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2011, 12:16:42 pm »
I've started with cRPG only a couple of weeks ago, and I find myself hooked.

After the initial frustration of completely and utterly failing at crossbow sniping, I've switched to a 1h shielder build, the very cookie cutter in the original post.

21/15 with 7 IF and 7 PS by level 30. I'm at 19 now and still trying to figure out what armour and weapon to use in the long run.

At the moment I'm trundling about with my plate covered round shield in a mail hauberk, leather gloves, mail chausses and a helmet with neckguard, the leftovers of my failed aralbest career. And I'm swinging/thrusting a warhammer.

Considering I'm still just an average player on a good day and keeping the upcoming upkeep in mind, what armour/weapon/shield combination would you suggest? I've yet to digest the complicated formula for determining my wpf loss, but I'm hoping 146 by level 30 should be enough?

Cheers!

I'd very much appreciate any advice you could give regarding choice of weapon and armour. It's difficult for me to figure out where my problem is - gear or skill (personal or character), but I tend to die quickly against long axe spammers and polehammer spammers. This game definitely needs a stamina bar that drains when attacking.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2011, 04:46:58 pm »
+1
Hi, I'm new to this game. Can anyone give me a good build for CUTTING SWATHS OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION THROUGH THE PEONS THAT BE
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2011, 05:53:45 pm »

Available points: 0
Strength    3    
Agility    39    

Available points: 4
One Handed    130    

Skills

Power Strike    1    
Shield    13    3
Weapon Master    3

Quality build here.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2011, 06:18:36 am »
Hi, I'm new to this game. Can anyone give me a good build for CUTTING SWATHS OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION THROUGH THE PEONS THAT BE
FROM ONE NEWB TO ANOTHER; HMMMMM, I THINK 27/12 OR 24/15 IS GOOD FOR YOU.
in heirloomed armor

I'd very much appreciate any advice you could give regarding choice of weapon and armour. It's difficult for me to figure out where my problem is - gear or skill (personal or character), but I tend to die quickly against long axe spammers and polehammer spammers. This game definitely needs a stamina bar that drains when attacking.
It is skill. I suggest lightish armor like Tunic over mail with leather gloves, mail chausses, that type of light-medium gear as a shielder.
weapon I suggest a 90+ length 1h. Italian sword is a good balanced 1h for example.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:21:01 am by Marathon »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2011, 10:28:08 am »

Depends on playstyle mostly.

I'm usually playing siege and in sieges, being durable is very important (especially when playing as a defender).
Weapons: Warhammer you have allready is a solid choice.
Shield: Huscarl, heavy kite shield or knightly kite shield. The last one is a fast, dueling type shield, so put it away when facing a shieldbreaker of some sort.
Armour: Heraldic mail with tabard works fine for me, but the cookiecutter for me would be a lordly brigandine.
Gloves: Mail gauntlets or wisby gauntlets
Boots: Mail chausses
Helmet: Whichever really. I go with a kettle helmet when using mail and a great helmet to go with the brigandine.

Regardless of armour though, you will die when being hit 2-3 times by a large axe.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Ghostie

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2011, 12:22:57 pm »
Okay, I took both your advice and tested Marathon's lighter armour suggestion first on random siege games yesterday. I felt much quicker on foot than with the mail hauberk and didn't notice being much more vulnerable than I already felt. When switching to a borrowed Light Mail and Plate (because it looks flash and only weighs .5 more than the brigandine) with a kettle hat, I was noticably slower to move, but my swings didn't seem to be affected. And I think I survived a few more hits than I did in light armour.

Maybe it's just subjective. I also tried my buddy's Espada Eslavona and was surprised how often I would actually hit. That length difference really seems to do it for me. I'm slightly miffed to lose the blunt damage and knockdown possibility, because it feels as though I glance off of armour quite regularly now, even at power strike 6. Maybe it's just my poor positioning.

As for the shield.. the most important part of a shielder, I suppose. I didn't realise how incredibly vulnerable a huscarl shield is compared to a plate covered one. I thought 400 hp should be a lot, but... it seems the shield's damage reduction plays a much greater role.

Thank you guys for taking your time to answer my pesky little questions, but here's one more :)

From your own experience, do you think 18/18 would give my shield noticably more durability and my weapon greater speed? Would it be worth sacrificing power strike 6 and ironflesh?

Edit: As a side-question: Is it practicable at all to try riposte against polearm and two handed weapon users? I'm trying to find some way to defend against long axe fighters without relying on a shield that'll break.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:28:10 pm by Ghostie »