Poll

You see a fagcher scoring 5 headshots in a row and you think to yourself:

"Damn, that guy is good"
"Nerf ranged"

Author Topic: There is nothing wrong with ranged.....  (Read 13736 times)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
Re: There is nothing wrong with ranged.....
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2018, 10:32:27 am »
+1
i agree with a lot of that and something particular was how you mentioned cav's inability to deal with archers

--- cavs inability to deal with archers --- like really? cavalry in pretty much all medieval video games is used to attack light infantry and archers. while i know cRPG isn't total war attila or whatever, the point remains that archers have far to much power over cavalry

specifics: my +3 destrier can easily get 1 shot by str archers and heavyxbow/arbs if im charging them. it's really ridiculous how weak and non-durable all horses apart from like the plated charger really are. as if cavalry doesn't have enough trouble dealing with any infantryman with half a brain on how to counter cav, they can't even pick of the enemies holding bows and crossbows.

secondly, when you close the distance on an archer while charging them and you miss your swing or get shot/interrupted, you have two choices: keep riding past and hope they dont shoot you and finish you/your horse off, or you can stop your horse and try to melee them/dismount. if you dismount, they run away. you can't catch them since you probably don't have much athletics. you try to melee them off of horseback and they just circle your horse and stay in your melee "blind spots" where you can't hit them. the turn rate on horses is atrocious. a fully stopped horse should be able to turn very quickly. horses should only be affected by their maneuver statistic at higher speeds. it just makes no sense that an archer can outcircle your horses turnrate

To quote myself
Tbh the ability to twirl and change direction with an arrow drawn makes it difficult for even cav to take out a decent archer, ducking, changing direction, twirling, all while drawing and firing arrows. Even worse when any kind of object is present for the archer to twirl around firing arrows, cav stand little chance at taking out what should be their easiest targets in many scenarios, it's only bad unaware archers that get back stabbed without reaction. Sadly that is something that extends to the engine and game itself, it would be difficult to balance without butchering archers.

The fact they can do all that while drawing and firing arrows is what makes it absolute cancer, like you say, Cavalry really are supposed to counter ranged at close range, but it just doesn't work well because of the game itself, but also because how archers can twirl and move into your blind spots, all while drawing and firing arrows. How we combat this without ruining ranged I don't know, but HA was nerfed into the ground and I still play my HA along with several other players, so I don't see why foot archery can't be nerfed a bit too. Throwers are another story and I am not actually completely against them being able to maneuver so well, it makes more sense when considering the action of holding and throwing weapons compared to holding and firing arrows from a bow, even though I think throwing knives are cancer aimbot stuff lol.

It's a tough scenario but there are several options and I think the team could try them out even just temporarily to get feedback.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2018, 12:01:49 pm »
I do think cav in equal numbers to the archers would crush them, but its kind of hard to organize cav charges like that while archers are naturally just sticking together. But ive mentioned also the gimped nature of cav struggles to pick agile targets off, nerfing something may have bad side effects which ive noticed a lot, but maybe not everyone considers it that way.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2018, 10:32:15 am »
Is there a coder that could add reflective team damage but just for projectiles (with a damage multiplier)? So if you do 20 damage to a team mate you receive 60 damage yourself too. Then watch people switch class so they don't kill themselves once the melee team fights start
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2018, 10:44:35 am »
+1
if people at least would have the dignity to not play ranged when there's 10- people on the server

that'd be great and wouldn't kill the mod

Offline Volk.

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Volky_Lolky
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2018, 10:49:47 am »
make each bow require current number+1 power draw pls unplayable

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2018, 08:36:51 pm »
+2
if people at least would have the dignity to not play ranged when there's 10- people on the server

And if people would also not play cav on a 10 or lower people server

Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2018, 09:19:54 pm »
+1
if you elect me as chancellor of germany c-rpg i promise i will round up all the archers and gas give them a nice shower with hot water (but not too hot) water. i promise this will almost DEFINITELY quell the issue.

signed,

Yeldolf Ladoitler

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2018, 09:46:38 pm »
+1
When people say "do/dont do X or Y to not kill the game", it often means the game is dead or dying, and is just hopeful thinking.
Whether cRPG is dead or not, most of the things trying to artificially make it last longer is going to produce adverse effects.
The best thing to do is just to let the players do their thing and ride it 'till is over.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1302
  • Infamy: 1212
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2018, 10:25:16 pm »
+1
Didn't you guys successfully revive cRPG few months ago? Can't be dead again, can it? I don't play it myself but it seems every player I ever crossed path on virtual battlefield is playing.

As long there is crying about ranged, cRPG is doing just fine. Dying phase begins with Krems qq threads and ends with nothingness.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2018, 09:47:00 pm »
+4
Krems killed the mod

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2018, 07:24:59 am »
Do people really quit crpg when there is alot of ranged to go play pubg? Do they get mad about ranged and go play an all range game? Why wouldn't they just play range here then?
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2018, 08:34:02 am »
+1
Do people really quit crpg when there is alot of ranged to go play pubg? Do they get mad about ranged and go play an all range game? Why wouldn't they just play range here then?

Mainly because if they wanted to play a shooting game, they go play a game that is pretty much strictly shooting. I think most people play CRPG for a decent mix of classes and not just having half of each team as archers/xbows.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2018, 01:08:21 pm »
Mainly because if they wanted to play a shooting game, they go play a game that is pretty much strictly shooting. I think most people play CRPG for a decent mix of classes and not just having half of each team as archers/xbows.

Isnt a 50/50 divide a decent mix?
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2018, 03:42:04 pm »

Doubt I've ever seen above 40% ranged
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2018, 07:12:24 pm »
Isnt a 50/50 divide a decent mix?

Not when you then factor in throwers and it starts feeling like 3 out of 4 players have some kind of ranged weapon at times lol. Even 2 out of 3 is enough to create a cancerous atmosphere on a lot of the maps.

Doubt I've ever seen above 40% ranged

I can guarantee that in the past two weeks I have seen it above even 60% several times if you include throwers too. Some people come on, play one round as Melee and GTFO because they can't be fucked to deal with that shit. So the server struggles to hold a melee pop, while the ranged stays. I even respecced away from HA to try reduce the amount of ranged, but tbh the amount of ranged playing some times, just makes me want to respec back to HA just so I can fucking shoot them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 07:16:26 pm by Leesin »