Author Topic: Donkey team no longer developing M:BG / OKAM  (Read 101965 times)

pogosan

Re: Donkey team no longer developing M:BG / OKAM
« Reply #750 on: December 22, 2017, 02:55:43 pm »
+2

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems (Founder)
  • Game nicks: Eberhart & Juta von Krems
  • IRC nick: Dan
« Reply #751 on: December 22, 2017, 03:05:52 pm »
+2
He's in China making a new game with some of the people from the old team. Doing pretty well from what I saw, and he said the game is very unique on the market, but no public info on specifics yet. They got a new logo too, and unless someone hijacked his account to send a postmortem picture of chadz, I'm pretty sure he's alive by the looks of it.

Let me guess.....Medieval Open World Multiplayer game.......with some shitty chinese gear

I heard he was in China, but had been sold off for body parts, a way more believable story than him making a decent game tbh
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:10:04 pm by zottlmarsch »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 391
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 23, 2017, 02:39:30 am »
+3
Is this Sigibert dude for real, claiming that monstrosity of combat animations in OKAM is realistic in any way possible? I mean, Warband in general look like cardbox fight until you get accustomed to it but at least it has unmatched depth in all of its brokenness. OKAM on the other looks like shit and feels like shit with little to no depth. It's even worse than that crap called War of the Roses.

Simply put, there is no realistic medieval game. Some are close but still looks off due to animation system used in video games is archaic thing that can't be used to create realistic combat. Every game has issues with animation, some more some less. Warband looks odd but everything looks dated so its not a big deal. Games that try to look good graphically like Kingdom Come, look positively comic with those choppy animations they claim to be realistic.

I've been huge pusher for realism in cRPG and few balancers granted my wishes. Let's say I've been wrong, so much wrong. Push for realism can really be detrimental in game of this kind. And if you think OKAM had anything done well you are blind.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 23, 2017, 09:31:14 am »
+2
I don't think there is much point in trying to create a combat simulator. You have to cherry pick things that will improve the gameplay and cut out things that won't. A bit of realism here, and bit of arcade there. OKAM objectively had more realistic options in attack directions, but it didn't really count for much in and of itself imo. I think Warband would probably be better if it also had diagonal attack and block directions. But that would just be one part of the overall gameplay. OKAM needed more on top of the extra attack and swing directions to compete really (and it needed more Warband style mouse controls). At its core it was a pretty simple fighting game. It felt like the more you played the more simple it got, whereas in Warband the more you play the more you see how much better other players are than you. Which gives you a sense of something to aim for as you try to get better. In OKAM I felt like I pretty much didn't want to learn more. It didn't even seem like people were playing with the game mechanics as much as they were abusing the downsides of the 1 button system against other players.

Again I quit OKAM before they added good/bad blocks so I don't know if it improved much. I imagine a lot of the flaws remained
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:34:41 am by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Sigibert

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 23, 2017, 09:37:44 am »
I haven't commented on the animations, though I find them decent enough.. I had been suggesting better animations on the feedback page but the new devs didn't work on it or any other combat related issues, sadly.

What I was mainly referring to was the one mouse button option. If you think about real life sword combat it's silly to think that there would be one stance for attacking and one for blocking. You would be in one stance hoping to block and attack well from that position.

Blocking on RMB makes sense for shields, however. Okam had a second option to block with them, too, although I always thought they did a poor job with it. Blocking with the shield should be your first option. That's what you got it for. Yet, in Okam it was so unreliable that you couldn't actually use it in Melee combat at all, so your best chance was to utilize the LMB weapon block function and only rely on your shield for passive protection.

That's one thing where I thought Warband's force field shields were the better mechanic.

Offline Primo

• Knight
  • Renown: 35
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • non dvcor, dvco
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
  • Faction: Acre, VeraCruz
  • Game nicks: KotSA, Primo, Colleone
« Reply #755 on: December 23, 2017, 01:48:56 pm »
+3
OKAM new devs totally excluded South America.

I couldn't even join a match/battle/fight or whatever the f* there was, because it wouldn't load (and many other latin americans).

So...yea, R$ 80 in the garbage to a big community campaign that we made a bunch of people buy the game (around 40) so that we couldn't acess it anymore.

gg ez mony

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 23, 2017, 01:57:40 pm »
+5
He's in China making a new game with some of the people from the old team. Doing pretty well from what I saw, and he said the game is very unique on the market, but no public info on specifics yet. They got a new logo too, and unless someone hijacked his account to send a postmortem picture of chadz, I'm pretty sure he's alive by the looks of it.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 23, 2017, 02:41:05 pm »
+1

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1393
  • Infamy: 1233
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 23, 2017, 03:23:44 pm »
+1
It's a true free market, who develop faster he wins lol

Soon they'll create proper steam knockoff, put a ban on steam and then try to export their product. Typical Chinese way of doing things and it usually works very well. If they only had an ounce of conscience when creating goods and following common sense not to make poisonous products, they would be golden.

Offline Krex

• Earl
  • Renown: 403
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • How did I get here?
    • View Profile
    • Steam
  • Game nicks: Krex
« Reply #759 on: December 24, 2017, 11:23:14 am »
+1
rip okam
Quote from: Tomeusz link=topic=45416.msg717346#msg717346
horse just standing on 2 feets and does "yhohohohoh".

Offline Beleg

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 300
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapıkulu
  • Game nicks: Beleg
« Reply #760 on: December 24, 2017, 12:06:13 pm »
+1

If they only had an ounce of conscience when creating goods and following common sense not to make poisonous products, they would be golden.
yeah, because western companies would never steal things if they were able to get away with it.
Oh and its Gnjusoğlu Saracoğlu, you illiterate goat-shagging baklava-eater.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #761 on: January 05, 2018, 11:27:38 pm »
+4
Oh look, its the random turk

Offline Beleg

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 300
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapıkulu
  • Game nicks: Beleg
« Reply #762 on: January 06, 2018, 12:19:08 am »
+5
Oh look, its the random turk
What're u talking about dude?
Oh and its Gnjusoğlu Saracoğlu, you illiterate goat-shagging baklava-eater.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 06, 2018, 12:29:19 am »
+4