Author Topic: Donkey team no longer developing M:BG / OKAM  (Read 107450 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey team no longer developing M:BG / OKAM
« Reply #735 on: December 21, 2017, 10:35:50 pm »
+3
I guess a KD ratio smaller than 1 would be the equivalent of negative.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sigibert

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 21, 2017, 11:38:53 pm »
Am I? If you have 1 kill and 2 deaths, the ratio is 0.5 which is what we would call a "negative" KD. If it's 2 kills and 1 death ratio is 2, making it positive.

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #737 on: December 22, 2017, 12:09:12 am »
+3
You can have hundreds of hours in a game and never truly understand its mechanics.

Yes, evident in your OKAM fanboyism despite having played 1300 hours of Warband. We wouldn't be having these discussions if you knew anything about Warband's complexities.

I don't think either Warband or Okam are particularly realistic. It's about fun and intuitiveness, rather than realism.

You've changed your tone on this one; I remember you directly saying that the way in which attack angles could be adjusted in Warband was unrealistic. I'm certain you made other autistic realism arguments too.

To the fluidity argument I stand.

It's not even an argument, just a retarded OKAM buzzword, without any details or facts like all your opinions on the matter.

I don't think I made an objective statement about it, as it always comes down to opinion.

OKAM's combat being a lot more restrictive than Warband's isn't a matter of opinion, the turn rate is slower, attack angling is reduced, these are facts bro. Combined with stiff animations, the easiest blocking system in any game in its genre, and non sensical concepts like stance lock, you end up with a system that only the most deluded fanboys defend.

Me, not being a top tier dueller shouldn't matter. I'm the average player's opinion which is valid, too. Also, I would say I did pretty well in both games but a lot better in Okam.

Yes, your opinion is still valid. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that you prefer the controls, considering how dumbed down they are in comparison. At the end of the day you can tell me how great OKAM is all you want, but when you say that it's a superior system to Warband, you can expect me to call out your lack of comprehension.

Ther was a hilarious meme someone made on old okam forum, it was chadz riding a bicycle with square wheels, in the corner was siegbert saying "this is the greatest invention ever"

aww thanks bud, that was mine :D, I think it said "this is the best bike on the market".

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 714
  • Infamy: 1452
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 22, 2017, 02:51:43 am »
+1
Whether a post here was deleted or edited, I'm just going off a post that says you wrote it and that the last edit was by you. I'll take for granted then that these are your words.

I hate to respond to this semi-seriously, but is it 'power-tripping' for someone to do their job? If their behaviour has changed, maybe it's because their job has changed.

I've seen you complain before that players change when they get admin, probably because they didn't have responsibility/obligations in the game before. It's a shitty example cos becoming admin here doesnt necessarily come with authority for most people, just an admin toolkit, whereas Pogosan was the community manager for something that wanted to be a real commercial game. But in either case, the expectations change for that person and frankly if someone's happy-go-lucky and doesnt want responsibility i'd be more concerned if they didnt change how they present themself when put in that position - frankly if someone wants to continue saying/doing whatever they want they should have turned the offer down like a normal person.

Of course I edited it, that's because of silly forum censor that turned my post into something that truly makes no sense whatsoever.

People don't change just when they get admin, they change when they get an ounce of power. It's a pretty good test to gauge shittiness of one person. If he keeps cool despite having power over someone and not abuse it, (s)he is a cool cat. Otherwise, fuck him/her.

Being paid by chadz (huge lol) is not a reason for person to go full Mao on his former internet buddies.

Offline Sigibert

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 22, 2017, 09:30:27 am »
Yes, evident in your OKAM fanboyism despite having played 1300 hours of Warband. We wouldn't be having these discussions if you knew anything about Warband's complexities.

I don't usually overanalyze game mechanics to death. I just play instinctively and I can tell when a combat system feels right and when it doesn't meaning that it corresponds with the actions I want my character to do.

You've changed your tone on this one; I remember you directly saying that the way in which attack angles could be adjusted in Warband was unrealistic. I'm certain you made other autistic realism arguments too.

Well, I think it is more realistic but that doesn't mean shit. I can have fun with the most unrealistic system if it allows me to play the way I feel I should be able to. For instance, I think the most realistic melee combat system might be Kingdom Come's, yet after having played the beta a couple of times I don't find it enjoyable at all and I'd rather have something simple like Skyrim. Maybe I will change my stance on that still, we will see.

It's not even an argument, just a retarded OKAM buzzword, without any details or facts like all your opinions on the matter.

Fluid meaning, that you don't have to press different buttons all the time like in Warband which was a constant LMB/RMB clickfest. You only need to hold down LMB and move, making it more enjoyable for me.

OKAM's combat being a lot more restrictive than Warband's isn't a matter of opinion, the turn rate is slower, attack angling is reduced, these are facts bro.

Sure, the opinion part is whether you enjoy those changes or not.

At the end of the day you can tell me how great OKAM is all you want, but when you say that it's a superior system to Warband, you can expect me to call out your lack of comprehension.

I get your position. If I ever called Okam's combat objectively superior, I'd like to refrain from that. It's only superior in my opinion. ^^

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 22, 2017, 09:33:01 am »
the turn rate is slower, attack angling is reduced, these are facts bro
Sure, the opinion part is whether you enjoy those changes or not.

Who enjoys less control over your character?

Offline Sigibert

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 22, 2017, 10:23:46 am »
People who take more enjoyment out of a realistic movement system in contrast to an arcade one. For instance, I take more enjoyment out of games like ArmA or Red Orchestra than games like Quake or Unreal. Doesn't mean either is objectively better than the other.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 22, 2017, 10:50:26 am »
People who take more enjoyment out of a realistic movement system in contrast to an arcade one. For instance, I take more enjoyment out of games like ArmA or Red Orchestra than games like Quake or Unreal. Doesn't mean either is objectively better than the other.

There is a point where limiting your combat system to fit realism is damaging to the point that it starts to feel too clunky and limited, as is the case in OKAM. While ArmA and Red Orchestra are more realistic, they don't take too much control from the player by limiting the camera angles or turn rate too much, especially RO. Most of the "realism" changes in those games come from visual and damage changes, not removing control from player (eg. high damage, no minimap, no doritos above player heads etc).

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 22, 2017, 11:25:47 am »
+2
Adding realism to player actions can add tons of skill into a game, even if it means limiting the player in some ways. I don't think it necessarily happened in OKAM though.

Slowing things down can make the choices players make more tactical so there is more emphasis on making good decisions rather than quick reflexes and twitch aiming. It can also add a bit of difficulty in working with the limitations put on the character. Like in Red Orchestra or other tactical shooters you have more accuracy when stationary and your character has momentum. So to fire you might have to counteract the momentum and fire with timing that comes from lots of practice. Or you have unsteady hands so you have to adjust the aim accordingly. Realism can add loads of skill and depth into a game. I would have been quite happy if OKAM went with some realism for character actions if it meant for a more deep and rewarding combat system. You don't add realism for the sake of it though. You do it because it adds depth to the gameplay.
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 22, 2017, 11:37:09 am »
+1
You don't add realism for the sake of it though. You do it because it adds depth to the gameplay.

Exactly. To be honest I don't think the OKAM team was really going for that much realism with their combat. They tried their own take on it and it ended up being more limited and sluggish than even cRPG combat, let alone native Warband. Realism is just an excuse that fanboys use.

Offline Sigibert

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 22, 2017, 11:55:26 am »
There is a point where limiting your combat system to fit realism is damaging to the point that it starts to feel too clunky and limited

Agreed.

as is the case in OKAM

And that's where the opinions differ. I found it more enjoyable because of the changes they made, you didn't. I'm fine with that.

Adding realism to player actions can add tons of skill into a game, even if it means limiting the player in some ways. I don't think it necessarily happened in OKAM though.

Slowing things down can make the choices players make more tactical so there is more emphasis on making good decisions rather than quick reflexes and twitch aiming. It can also add a bit of difficulty in working with the limitations put on the character. Like in Red Orchestra or other tactical shooters you have more accuracy when stationary and your character has momentum. So to fire you might have to counteract the momentum and fire with timing that comes from lots of practice. Or you have unsteady hands so you have to adjust the aim accordingly. Realism can add loads of skill and depth into a game. I would have been quite happy if OKAM went with some realism for character actions if it meant for a more deep and rewarding combat system. You don't add realism for the sake of it though. You do it because it adds depth to the gameplay.

I can agree with that.
In fact I and many others didn't like what they did with jumping. I would have prefered the more realistical approach of being able to jump over small obstacles without any combat significance. Instead they chose to make it a viable tool for combat, so people were flying through the air swinging their weapon. I didn't like that at all. Never liked it in Warband either.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:00:10 pm by Sigibert »

Offline Panos_Tournament

• Earl
  • Renown: 316
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 22, 2017, 12:47:45 pm »
+5
Hey chadz, youd be proud if you knew that c-rpg has once again players.

Yesterday at some point eu1 had 90 people, thank you my old friend.

I hope youre doing fine.

Offline Panos_Tournament

• Earl
  • Renown: 316
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 22, 2017, 12:48:55 pm »
+3
Hey cmp, wish I could give some love to you aswell, but you can go FUCK YOURSELFFFFFFFFFFFFF  :twisted:

joking.

pogosan

« Reply #748 on: December 22, 2017, 01:35:27 pm »
+2

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #749 on: December 22, 2017, 02:49:47 pm »
+2
He knows  :wink:

I realise this kinda borders on creepy as fuck, but it feels kinda weird not knowing at all what has happened to our favourite donkey. Atleast with more famous people you get to learn what happened to them after they abandon their original project.
In regards to chadz, we dont even know if the fuckers alive.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.