Author Topic: An update on things  (Read 13583 times)

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
Re: An update on things
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2016, 10:18:24 pm »
Lots of game manage to deliver big maps and persistence, but the combat mechanics are almost always lacking.
Therefore, I'd like it to work on small scale and enjoy the big world later.

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2016, 10:53:20 pm »
Lots of game manage to deliver big maps and persistence, but the combat mechanics are almost always lacking.
Therefore, I'd like it to work on small scale and enjoy the big world later.

chadz doesnt have a money-tree and nor does his publisher. And i believe money-trees dont even exist at all lol. So they can only keep polishing as much as time and money allows.
Hence why many unpolished medieval games are released anyways.. because they need the income from sales, and that income also wont keep things floating for long.

It takes a long time to get a game polished well. Hell, chadz took 6 years of crpg, and was never able to polish it to perfection. And i dont blame chadz for it... because reaching for perfection is impossible.
I didnt find the combat mechanics of Chivalry or even M&B lacking. I would even go as far to say that i personaly prefer those combat mechanics over what ive seen from OKAM so far. It comes down to which combat mechanics you prefer, which will make other mechanics you dont prefer lacking in your experience.

If i can compare the combat mechanics from M&B with the combat mechanics they have in M&B Warband, i think they polished it pretty well for a Singleplayer and Multiplayer game and i dont experiene it as lacking for a game that old.

You simply cant please everyone, and even with OKAM some players will find it lacking.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:00:02 pm by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2016, 10:59:58 pm »
+1
I consider both M&B and Chivalry to be pretty good. For me, it doesn't need to offer more than that to be fun.

I was thinking about other MMOs with supposed M&B-like combat like Gloria Victis and Life is Feudal which both fail utterly at the combat aspect imho, and thus I don't feel compelled to play it in the slightest. But every time I brought it up, I heard people saying "it's still pre-alpha.. relax" while all my hype went further down.

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2016, 11:23:31 pm »
it doesn't need to offer more than that to be fun.

Exactly, and thats why many fps shooters or take for example the M&B mount&Siege server or Napoleon War servers (old ones) are still alive, while CRPG dies.
They dont need this leveling and shit, its fun for a while.. but its not what most are looking for in an FPS game. These servers are still alive, because you can log in.. buy the biggest axe/gun and murder other players for an hour or two.. without having to worry about some try-hard nerd with level 40 having an advantage over you.... or having to keep "grinding" to get into "the fun".

If you start mixing game genre's like LiF, Gloria Victis or Reign of Kings did, you'll start with a hype.. cause PvE players, Creative players, PvP players and many others are promised something in the game that will nterest them. It will sell big, Twitch will orgasm over you... but you will eventually lose everyone and end up with a very small niche gaming community.
Builders/Creators will start whining about PvP. PvPers will start whining about needing to build or grind. And then they will make seperate servers, an the game eventually dies.
Just like how many players now dont want to play NA1 or EU1 or whatever to grind silver to play Strategus.

The only thing OKAM has going for it in my opinion, is that they most likely are making seperate gaming modes. But i think the moment they start interlacing these with eachother, it will end up on the shelf just like many other games.. that promised to be highly polished and have a variety of gameplay.

"it's still pre-alpha.. relax" while all my hype went further down.

Prolly buyers remorse, and people being gullible as f nowadays.
Hopeless gamers, that have no social life or other activities.. and the only thing they got left is to believe and trust some stranger to fill the emptiness for them with some game, which expresses into fanboi devotion to his savior money making company most of the times.
How pitiful, but its the truth with most youth nowadays... and not only when it comes to gaming.
People throwing thousands of dollars to games like Star Citizens, hoping that "one" exclusive ship they are promised will bring them long lasting satisfied life. Ofcourse they wil defend the game with tooth and nail, they got alot invested into it  :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:36:55 am by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2016, 12:50:05 am »
+13
Jambi is totally right (can't believe I'm typing that...)

yes, there are many medieval fighting games, and yes, promises are worth nothing without them being executed.

Going for combat first is a gamble, just like going for half combat/half epic would be a gamble too. However, what we will do after the EA release is to go straight to releasing parts of epic. And those parts will not be similar to LIF or RoK or similar. We will go straight for those things that set us apart - the strategic parts, the warfare, the politics. From there on we go further into detail.

I have a very exact vision of what the game will have and what not, which I haven't communicated clearly yet. I will work on communicating those until EA because I think they are extremely interesting and possibly revolutionary.

I'm not promising that we are "LIF plus xyz", we have nearly no overlapping elements with LIF, because they don't interest me that much. If you want a survival game, there are other games out there that do it way more fleshed out than OKAM ever will or should.

OKAM will be something entirely different. Our main focus is combat and war, and the epic parts are there to give combat and war meaning. A lot of meaning.

And Jambi is also correct that we don't have a money tree. He is also correct that money trees do, in fact, not exist, you're on fire today buddy.
Yes, the sad truth is that we need income to create all that we have planned. However, with what we have, I can already get the game to the point where people will be able to see the potential. And people will be able to see that we are not a bunch of naive dreamers any more that think everything is possible. We know exactly what we want, what we can achieve, and how to achieve that. Now all we need is time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:56:43 am by chadz »

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2016, 01:13:16 am »
+1

Love will tear us apart.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2016, 02:42:58 am »

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2016, 06:46:00 am »
+4
Well, my coca tree is the next best thing.

Offline khelbyz

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2016, 01:32:58 am »
+5
It's perfect to start with combat. There is no point to start with a incomplete Epic that might throw people off the bridge.
Let us chop some heads that's good enough for starters !