Author Topic: cRPG updater - Temporary replacement of cRPG Launcher  (Read 23949 times)

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
Re: cRPG updater - Temporary replacement of cRPG Launcher
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2016, 11:21:12 pm »
+2
Done

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I totally stole that one and uploaded it on my imgur for future use!
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Yuang

• Marshall
  • Renown: 788
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • I love you all
    • View Profile
    • 汉云工作室
  • Faction: Nothing
  • Game nicks: TangSanZang
Awesome, dude! Cheers! :lol:

I'm who I am, a firework of larruping color.
My time is seven hours earlier than the forum.

Offline deim0z

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WARPIGS_DeimOZ / Drunken_Celt / Kallaikoi
Thank you.

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
Oh, and if anyone has any ideas about how to improve the user interface, please let me know.

Don't like the way it looks much myself, but no real idea how to make it easier to use or in general prettier.

EDIT: (Seriously please do not hesitate to shoot me a pm, can never learn enough from feedback!)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:00:19 am by Switchtense »
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline sparkfly88

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I havent played cRPG in a long while...and go figure when I decide to come back it seems hell has broke loose.

Here's my issue...

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I havent played cRPG in a long while...and go figure when I decide to come back it seems hell has broke loose.

Here's my issue...

Do you have filelist.txt in cRPG folder? If not, try making the file, its contents don't matter afaik.

Offline sparkfly88

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Do you have filelist.txt in cRPG folder? If not, try making the file, its contents don't matter afaik.

Yup, its in there and has contents.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Yup, its in there and has contents.
Maybe it's read only? Or you have a program running in the background that's using the file, like cRPG Launcher or Warband?

Offline sparkfly88

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Maybe it's read only? Or you have a program running in the background that's using the file, like cRPG Launcher or Warband?

File properties for the whole warband folder is set to not be read-only...
I have nothing running in the background, even after a system reboot.

lol, I'm stumped.

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
'Permission denied'

Just for the fun of it, try launching Elio's script with your cRPG-Path as an administrator.

Also try to back that filelist file up, rename it and then create a new filelist.txt and try again.

Offline Elio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 737
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The treeee!
    • View Profile
    • Calradia's Maps Explorer
  • Game nicks: Elio

Here's my issue...

Writing into "Program Files (x86)" & "Program Files" and system' directories in general requires administrative privileges since Windows Vista.

So your only way to allow crpg_update.exe to write into program files is launching it as administrator.

By the way that's the reason why cRPG launcher requires admin privileges.

technet.microsoft.com: Start a Command Prompt as an Administrator
or
techjourney.net: How to Open Elevated Command Prompt as Administrator

Another solution: updating it manually

With help of GUI, create on desktop a temporary folder and then choose this folder to update/install cRPG. Or simply copy the cRPG folder from your game to the desktop.

Then you have to replace manually the cRPG folder from "Program Files (x86)\M&BW\Modules\"

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:43:25 pm by Elio »

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
Writing into "Program Files (x86)" & "Program Files" and system' directories in general requires administrative privileges since Windows Vista.
I did not think about that.
I can implement a messenger that tells you that the cRPG folder does not exist, and that the user does not have admin permissions to create that folder. Though I am not sure whether that justifies an update on its own. Might wait til another thing comes up.
Unless Elio can be arsed to pack another .zip and upload it and edit his post again :D

So your only way to allow crpg_update.exe to write into program files is launching it as administrator.

By the way that's the reason why cRPG launcher requires admin privileges.

Another solution: updating it manually

With help of GUI, create on desktop a temporary folder and then choose this folder to update/install cRPG. Or simply copy the cRPG folder from your game to the desktop.

Then you have to replace manually the cRPG folder from "Program Files (x86)\M&BW\Modules\"

You do not have to create a temporary folder.
Just choose the desktop instead of your Warband path. The program will create a new folder called "Modules", and another called "cRPG" inside of it.
So you just grab that modules folder including whatever is in it, and copy it over into your Warband main directory.

Offline Elio

• Marshall
  • The treeee!
    • View Profile
I did not think about that.

See this link:
msdn.microsoft.com: User Account Control

Goals

A well designed User Account Control experience has the following goals:

Eliminate unnecessary elevation. Users should have to elevate only to perform tasks that require administrative privileges. All other tasks should be designed to eliminate the need for elevation. Often legacy software requires administrator privileges unnecessarily by writing to the HKLM or HKCR registry sections, or the Program Files or Windows System folders.

Be predictable. Standard users need to know which tasks require an administrator to perform or cannot be performed at all in managed environments. Administrators need to know which tasks require elevation. If they can't predict the need for elevation accurately, they are more likely to give consent for administrative tasks when they shouldn't.

Require minimal effort. Tasks that require administrative privileges should be designed to require a single elevation. Tasks that require multiple elevations quickly become tedious.

Revert to least privileges. Once a task that requires administrative privileges is complete, the program should revert to the least privilege state.

Offline Elio

• Marshall
  • The treeee!
    • View Profile
Unless Elio can be arsed to pack another .zip and upload it and edit his post again :D

Well I don't really want to force to requires admin rights if It can be avoided.

Or maybe if there is a way to query it for necessary case only.

Some installer have this functionality to query for elevating privileges, I will take a look about it.

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
I could just check whether the program is being run as an admin. If yes, proceed with creating the cRPG folder.
If not, ask the user what path to install cRPG into, so the user only has to copy from there into the Warband main directory.

And maybe give an additional option to just ask for admin rights for creating the cRPG folder, though I would also like to go without requiring admin at all.
Especially since granting admin rights during execution of a program is a huge security risk and in general bad.