Author Topic: Dev Blog #4 Battle Maps  (Read 16773 times)

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
Re: Dev Blog #4 Battle Maps
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 05:25:26 pm »
+1
You guys, do a very poor job explaining things.

Switching stances will be done by mouse movement, correct? Otherwise, I don't see how it can be more fluid than what you had before.

Parries are basically Warband's chamber-blocks that give you a speed advantage for the follow up attack, instead of dealing damage right off the bat, yeah?

Tickets in Conquest/Battle are per player like in siege on Native, where every defender has 1-5 respawns. If, we talking, 200 tickets per team, like Strategus... uh, I won't play that gamemode, because it's so easy for some noobs/trolls to waste tickets, let them waste their own respawns and then wait for their team to cap a zone/wait a certain period of time/wait for the end.

IMO this would be a great ticket system

One round has 30 minutes
Both teams start with 0 tickets for each player
Every 2 minutes each player gets an extra ticket
By capping points of interest you decrease the time it takes to get an extra ticket
(let me elaborate on this: point of interest takes for example 300 capture points to capture, 1 player=10capturepoints/sec, you cap that you just discreased your wait-for-ticket time by 30 seconds)
Simple and fair

Also, I am for not respawning in the middle of combat and would actually prefer there not being respawning on company leader, but that's just me. Maybe make an alternative 'hardcore' mode where you can only spawn at the edges?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:34:34 pm by Golem »
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline matt2507

• King
  • Renown: 1013
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • It is when making anything that we become anyone.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Raylin The_Village_Idiot Mohamed_Ali
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 05:55:29 pm »
+5
It's a great engine that you got in hands here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

No donkeys were harmed in the making of this gif.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 06:13:29 pm »
+5
Nice update!

Bit confused on terminology:

Early Access = actual Steam Early Access or something run of your own shop/site/secret awesome publisher site?
closed pre-alpha = "scholar" only?

Also, stumbled over this, didn't watch, only saw the mentioning...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Kasigi_Yabu

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norr_of_Nordvegr, Tiger Mountain Peasant
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 06:16:56 pm »
+1
if someone is wondering how chadz office chair is called -> its "Markus" and can be bought for around 150€ at Ikea (just bought it right away)
i can smell the first kind of merchandise right here 8-)

anyway - great work guys (and girls ;) )....keep it up  :wink:

Can confirm it's a good chair
Also interesting about the stances, as long as the combat is skill based and provides a better experience than crpg then great!
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 06:19:54 pm »
+2
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline Chasey

• Tournament Champion
  • Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Chase
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 08:41:28 pm »
+10
The new direction the combat is going sounds worrying, looking forward to seeing it and trying it out
I like to fart on cold windows and lick the condensation :D

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 09:03:14 pm »
+3
The new direction the combat is going sounds worrying, looking forward to seeing it and trying it out
Only thing worrying me is your signature  :lol:
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 09:24:42 pm »
+1
Lolstab confirmed?!?! :wink:

The new game mode looks really interesting: Company of Heroes meets Battlefield 2, perfect! Will there be a VoIP system included. Maybe Mumble like in Squad which would allow talkin directly to people close by?
Believe VOIP has been confirmed some time ago.

Offline kwhy

• Earl
  • Renown: 302
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • trash
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ted_the_garbage_man, missANGY, missBENDaKNEE, missAGAIN, Moove, Fallback, LLpewJ, Lets_ride_bikes
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 09:52:55 pm »
+2
With the addition of stamina and stances, I just hope that the game won't be getting too complex. The more complexity and nerd-service you guys provide, the more and more niche your game becomes. Warband was a success because it had simple arcadey combat with great depth, hopefully your game doesn't stray from their formula too much.

The Battle of Europe mod (warband) had a few changes like adding stamina, bleed, along with sprint which IMO really added to the game play making it even more fun than native and CRPG IMO. 

Sprint of course sped things up which some people might not like, but it was limited sprint based on stamina.  It was really satisfying charging at someone full sprint versus normal walk *run* speed that is in native/crpg.   Of course they later made it so you couldn't attack while in sprint mode though which took my man boner away and I quit playing soon after.

The bleed system along with stamina made it so if you took a significant hit you had a chance to bleed out and die while also losing your ability to sprint along with some slow down.  You could still attack and block, but you were at a slight disadvantage.  I found it to still fun and unforgiving in that you couldn't chance taking even 1 or 2 hits while in CRPG you can get hit multiple times sometimes and still move around like nothing happened.     

Stance system sounds cool.  bet it will have some sort of up/down left/right toggle.  Wonder how much the animations are going to change with that though. 

I don't want to see things get too complicated, but at the same time I'd like to see some improvements and additions to the *warband* style combat that we might be able to master and get a chance to re-learn which is what really made this mod satisfying (also frustrating).

Offline kwhy

• Earl
  • Renown: 302
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • trash
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ted_the_garbage_man, missANGY, missBENDaKNEE, missAGAIN, Moove, Fallback, LLpewJ, Lets_ride_bikes
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 09:54:17 pm »
+1
I am so ready for the testing.
But I am a litle affraid that changing the stances might be too much of keyboardmashing for me to not get completely confused.
Everything sounds awesome and really provides huge differences from all competitors.
Keep it going.

rudder pedals gonna be needed with MBG

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 09:55:27 pm »
+18
That moment where you are having more trouble understanding the Irishman speaking his native language than chadz speaking with his hefty Austrian accent.

The whole combat "stances" idea sounds intriguing. I am glad that you are not afraid to attempt to improve upon the system we know, but so far I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about and how it works. That is no problem, explain it when you have something that is somewhat set in stone. I really hope it works out, and I look forward to trying it out. Try to get the new interns or basically anyone with fresh eyes to give it a go occasionally, staring at a thing like this with the same people all the time can lead to some fucked up decision-making.

The video was a lot of talking about very little if I am honest, but the few seconds where you showed the character walking around a bit were reassuring. Casually placing some nice looking vegetation on a nice terrain map with good lighting, wind effects and draw distance. The human model finally looks like it has the right amount of chromosomes. Walking animation looks good, running is nearly there too, a little stiff in the shoulders I'd say. I mean, even though the last gameplay I have seen and experienced dates back to the Kickstarter, the base on which that gameplay can be built seems to have become a lot less shoddy. The office set-up seems to be treating you and the game well, and I am looking forward to it all coming together.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 10:41:55 pm »
+2
running is nearly there too, a little stiff in the shoulders I'd say.

I noticed that too. Looks like he's pulling the shoulders too high. Everything else looked really good, except that the hands don't always seem to grab the grip...

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 11:18:40 pm »
+3
"Timed blocks, stances.." ohh.. no..
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Schoi

• Duke
  • Renown: 578
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: small weiner
  • Game nicks: Skoi, Schoi, jus_the_tip_bby_feel_rlygud
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 12:31:02 am »
+8
I think I slept like 3 hours that day, and then they waltzed in with a cam claiming "We need footage!" and I was like ok....

Best quote

Well fact is, NA players are mostly casual normies not knowing mechanics & who would have no chance against competitive EU players on the same ping.

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 12:35:43 am »
+2
I was here.