Author Topic: Total War Hammer  (Read 63091 times)

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War Hammer
« Reply #390 on: June 03, 2016, 09:28:45 pm »
Brimstone Gyrocopters are pretty okay at killing cavalry, trolls and hurting giants and such.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #391 on: June 03, 2016, 10:03:06 pm »
Brimstone Gyrocopters are pretty okay at killing cavalry, trolls and hurting giants and such.
Agreed.
But nothing makes units route as quickly as a good proper welcome with Flamethrowers! And they don't even die in melee to boost! What is not to love about Irondrakes :D

(click to show/hide)
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 03, 2016, 10:56:30 pm »
+1
Agreed.
But nothing makes units route as quickly as a good proper welcome with Flamethrowers! And they don't even die in melee to boost! What is not to love about Irondrakes :D

Yep Dwarves are really master of ranged defense.
They are making me pay the price of every advance with my Vampire army bereft of ranged  :mrgreen:  my counter is usually lots of flying monsters, as tanky as I can recruit them so they dont rout and actually pin every ranged dwarves forever.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 04, 2016, 01:32:55 pm »
When Chaos spawns / you get the whole introduction animation that they've emerged, one Chaos army(not main Chaos army but a tribe) spawns around the water next to the Greenskin area and take 1 turn to get on land. They got two full armies with strong troops, so they are a threat to pretty much every nation.

This fuck'd me over in so many ways because I wasn't expecting it and all my armies were like around 10 turns away. Decided to reload a prev save and stack armies near their spawnpoint until they arrived and wiped them out in two turns.

yeah I know, 4 stacks spawned there on my legendary dwarf campaign, but they are full of weak units. I sent 1 general with lightning strike and he wiped them all straight away.

Just wiped choas on my legendary empire campaign - I thought choas would be far stronger from what I saw in my dwarf/vamp campaigns, I remember seing 10 stacks in one province and they wiped all humans factions bar 1 or 2. I guess there is a large degree of randomness to it.

or maybe its just because I hunted down the choas armies where if they survive to the next wave they add up or something? I guess the raze growth too allows them to multiply if left unchecked.

But nothing makes units route as quickly as a good proper welcome with Flamethrowers!

didn't make 1 irondrake in my campaign, tried them in custom... that useless range and low lethality. all the high end dwarf units are terrible. I thought ironbreakers would be nice, they aren't really much on longbeards, they friendly fire and take twice as long to recruit. hammerers aren't good, they have high attack low defense but too slow to be flankers which just makes them frontline units that die lots. slayers... worst unit in the game. gryos, probably useful since you don't get cav but considering the tech you need... I made 2 for a quest.

quarrellers are better than thunderers because they shoot over your men, although thunderers on the flanks are worth it if micro'd well into line of sight positons.  great weapons are imo never worth trading for shields, because even vs choas/vampires you want to shields to reduce friendly fire from your flanking missiles, and defense is just better on dwarf infantry.

Its just kinda sad that dwarves are just best sticking to early units for whole game, meanwhile empire's high end units are completely insane.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #394 on: June 04, 2016, 08:37:31 pm »
+1
chaos invasion
(click to show/hide)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 04, 2016, 09:32:03 pm »
+1
Farewell mein empire friend  :cry:
(click to show/hide)

Not sure if I shoulda played this real time?
(click to show/hide)

Large battles!
(click to show/hide)

Slayers think they are mighty stronk but not rly
(click to show/hide)

Just a friendly neighborhood
(click to show/hide)

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 05, 2016, 09:33:52 am »
chaos invasion
(click to show/hide)

Yeah lightning strike is your friend. It isn't actually the hardest campaign on legendary imo, but it is 100% the most tedious since its basically just grinding battles only. definitely tended to autoresolve alot and then I didn't see the point.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #397 on: June 08, 2016, 12:12:49 am »
Started a legendary Empire campaign, on turn 10 I was already being sieged by 3 full armies from a neighboring province, guess it's time to restart.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 09, 2016, 10:27:34 am »
+1
Started a legendary Empire campaign, on turn 10 I was already being sieged by 3 full armies from a neighboring province, guess it's time to restart.

yeah empire took me the most retries on legendary

there is alot of randomness to your start, it can be relatively easy or impossible very luck dependant.

but I do have some tips (spoilers):

it tedious but I asked every faction to join my wars vs orcs etc. every turn sometimes paying small amounts. this makes people like you more, the AI always wants to be at war with 1 faction but never really more. definitely want the nearby dwarves to be friends. and generally helps unify the empire factions so they go to war with each other less. so they dont wipe so much vs choas. did make killing choas easier than with the other races though, I expected it to be harder so was a bit disapointing.

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #399 on: June 20, 2016, 11:08:21 am »
+1
vampire agent spam
(click to show/hide)
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #400 on: June 20, 2016, 09:20:40 pm »
+1
vampire army spam
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:33:17 pm by ThePoopy »

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 28, 2016, 01:35:06 pm »

What do you guys think?
I completely agree with his first point about the pacing of the battles, in the newer TW games i don't even get to zoom in to any melees, simply because they're over too fast and I'm constantly too busy giving new orders to other units. Was one of the things I loved a lot about older TW games, watching prolonged melee battles play out, zoomed in.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 28, 2016, 02:14:07 pm »
Yes, CA's policy of ~5 minute battles is a major development error. Anyone remember the epic battles swaying back and forth in Europa Barbarorum? That really should be the model.

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 28, 2016, 02:22:28 pm »
Well, admittedly EB battles got a bit TOO LONG. Being unable to slug your way through some city street in a 60 minute time limit with top tier infantry on both sides was a bit much.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 28, 2016, 02:26:18 pm »
I agree their take on it is wrong.
Good thing we have some modders who consistently slow down battles every TW.