Author Topic: Melee Battlegrounds - New Gameplay concept!  (Read 44318 times)

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
Re: Melee Battlegrounds - New Gameplay concept!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 07:32:00 pm »
heaven and hearth inspiration? :)

how many players online can be on a server. possible fun grows with the size of a population.
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 07:35:58 pm »
+4
A few elements of h&h is an inspiration for sure. the grind of that game isnt :wink:

as for player numbers, we are very optimistic about some groundbreaking numbers, but dont want to say anything specific until we can back it up with a prototype.

pogosan

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 07:52:02 pm »

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 08:04:50 pm »
+5
I GOT RANDOMED ADMIN HELP

Offline Eddy

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OotQ
  • Game nicks: Eddy
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 08:20:15 pm »
+2
Sorry, if my reference to LiF was misunderstood.
I meant that if i would only read the concept and didnt watched the videos, played crpg etc. beforehand it would sound like LiF (or basically the end aim which LiF is going for).
Im not saying that its bad, just that the concept you putted there is really general and you could use it for every game in that direction.
So as a basic concept its good but it should be more detailed, if you want to use it for publicitywork.

So some other questions:
 - Will there be lvl´s? If yes, how big will be their impact?
 - How will gear be handled? Like crpg/strat now? (gear of the faction for armies and gear of the player for fights between them and on normal servers)
 - Will there be still the tavern-server (wouldnt really make sense but still :D)
 - Is the timesetting still the same? Will there only be european/eurasia equipment or also asian? (Would be fun to hire Ninja´s for assasinations)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 08:32:26 pm »
+3
Very good point. Also, wasn't taken as an insult :wink: We'll work on doing some rephrasings to make our differences more clear

- Will there be lvl´s? If yes, how big will be their impact?
We thought about having parallel fighting and economy skills, so you don't have to decide between them, but level them both. As for their impact, we want to stick to the original goal of sideway levelling instead of upwards. In general, though, we havent given that topic too much thought yet, as it's not that important for the first playable version, and wont have that much impact

- How will gear be handled? Like crpg/strat now? (gear of the faction for armies and gear of the player for fights between them and on normal servers)
yes, although instead of making armies carry a bunch of weapon, you draft people into a certain troop type, eg axe + armor = axeman. Also, the troops that are used in warfare will actually be the alts of the cities, which means drafting an army hurts your cities economy - what this means is that cities should be as inviting to players as possible, because the more players settle in their area, the more troops can be crafted.

- Will there be still the tavern-server (wouldnt really make sense but still :D)
no :wink:

- Is the timesetting still the same? Will there only be european/eurasia equipment or also asian? (Would be fun to hire Ninja´s for assasinations)
we'll see. for now, we stick to the same timesetting, but it might change/expand

pogosan

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 08:50:46 pm »

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • Renown: 343
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 08:51:33 pm »
+3
What kind of civilian roles will there be? I'd much rather be some peaceful banker who pays taxes and lives a normal life than some die hard rambo soldier that most people like to play...

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 08:56:03 pm »
+5
Currency: we want to implement some kind of player run currency. we need it so there is an easy way to trade and also a way to pay people playing in battles. how that is actually going to work is still undecided, as players need to trust the currency. The easy way is to back the money with an actual value (use money to buy something special), the hard way is to create a fiat system. We have a few ideas and will figure something out.

If you can be a banker? In theory yes. The question is if you can find a way to extract the debts of non-paying people. Will probably also depend on the city you are living in, what is allowed and what not.

In general, we will not impose any artificial limits - we give you the tools to produce stuff. What you do with the stuff is up to the players.

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 08:58:26 pm »
+2
Currency: we want to implement some kind of player run currency. how that is actually going to work is still undecided, as players need to trust the currency, but we need it so there is an easy way to trade. We have a few ideas and will figure something out.

If you can be a banker? In theory yes. The question is if you can find a way to extract the debts of non-paying people. Will probably also depend on the city you are living in, what is allowed and what not.

In general, we will not impose any artificial limits - we give you the tools to produce stuff. What you do with the stuff is up to the players.

Awesome. Another quick question, which i'm sure you have answered a million times already... what would I need to run this game on good settings? If I'm going to ever be dedicated to a game of this kind of scale, I would love to be immersed both by the gameplay and the graphics, and what i've seen looks very pretty. Currently my little shitty laptop can hardly run crpg, but I plan on bulding this in the near future.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 09:01:23 pm »
+2
Too early to tell. Maybe some original backers who have access to the prototype and a similar system can give you an answer on their performance with the showcases that we implemented, but we havent been optimising the game fully yet. Time will tell.

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 09:02:50 pm »
+1
Too early to tell. Maybe some original backers who have access to the prototype and a similar system can give you an answer on their performance with the showcases that we implemented, but we havent been optimising the game fully yet. Time will tell.

Seeing you're on now, i'm going to keep asking questions I guess :D

I don't know if you ever played it or knew what it was, but there was a pretty thriving modded RP community for warband called Warband Roleplay, and appeared to have pretty similar features to those you listed. How will this compare to it?

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 09:08:43 pm »
+5
I didn't play it, but I think I read a few things about it. From what I remember, there were many rules in place that had to be enforced by admins. (i could be wrong)

In MBG, anything you can possibly do, you are allowed to do. as in there are no rules of behaviour. there will most likely be ingame laws enforced by city authorities (=faction leaders), but there will be hopefully no need for admins. We'll see how far we can push this, maybe even to the point where you can mute someone permanently by cutting out his tongue if he gets on your nerves :wink:

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 09:11:28 pm »
+2
Do you think that kind of system could be used to abuse new players? I can only imagine a regime of veterans simply mutilating and oppressing new players so that they can always stay in power, and it definitely would appear to be an inescapable system...

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 09:15:18 pm »
+1
Who would do that, why?

Faction Leaders want people in their city. if they are cruel, they will drive away players to others, more save/welcoming cities. If you are too nice and dont take enough taxes of your people, you will not be able to defend the city from invaders, and people will leave. It will be a very large symbiosis between all players. Not just top down.