Author Topic: Bike culture?  (Read 5419 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Bike culture?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:23 am »
I don't know if this is national or state law but at least around here you can get a DUI for biking drunk.

Same here in slavlands.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 08:36:47 am »
Definitely a state by state basis here in the US.  In some states cycles aren't legally defined as vehicles, allowing one to skirt a DUI

One night I'm going to get hit-and-run smeared and I will vanish from these forums without a trace.  :|

Watch out for obnoxiously large red Toyota Tundras driven by soup cans

jk
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:39:59 am by lombardsoup »

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2014, 10:02:27 am »
The best thing about bikes is that you can still drive them whilst being incredibly drunk

Also when the police catch you drunk cycling you lose your driving license in England and Germany.

In my city (Mannheim, Germany) cycle pathes are preety rare inside the city, but cyclists are well respected, at least in my personal experience, but outside the city into the country there are lots of nice bikepathes along the rhine and into the schwazwald. All in all the bike culture is good in my area.
However when I was home in England I lived in Middlesbrough and Newcastle and I would NEVER EVER ride a bike in either of those 2 cities unless I had a definate deathwish.  :mad:
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 10:31:27 am »
People on bikes are pretty nuts though, going past you at 50km/h where a slight step to the side woulde made them run into you. Bicycles are nice sure, but the ones riding them can be fucking crazy. Fuck bikes.

haha and what about Car drivers? I'm pretty sure you'd prefer to get hit by a bike at 50km/h than by a car  :lol:

I'd love to go to Holland and Denmark to see everyone using bikes, I've ridden a bike since I was 3 years old (no joke) fucking one of my fav things to do, especially mountain biking. Around 2 years ago I was in Freiburg and there were thousands of bikes around, especially at the University which was great to see.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:42:03 am by FleetFox »
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 11:36:16 am »
+1
Does not matter, car has priority.
(click to show/hide)
that sign is one of these two, left one means "road has priority, every road that connects this road have not". Right one means that priority ends. Basically it just means that those on priority road won´t give way to those connecting to it, including cyclists since they count as vehicle.

Im pretty sure that means that car lane has priority, when it comes to a crosswalk the pedestrians always have priority. Cyclists may or may not be included there, he couldve jumped off his bike and walked over to be fully law abiding, but who has time for that shit, he signaled clearly that he was going over the crosswalk, and cyclists are basically considered to be the same as pedestrians.

haha and what about Car drivers? I'm pretty sure you'd prefer to get hit by a bike at 50km/h than by a car  :lol:

Cars dont drive on the sidewalk  :shock:
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 11:42:09 am »
Being Dutch I couldn't imagine what my life or our cities would look like without bicycles. It's like 4 times faster than walking and in cities they are usually faster than buses too, not to mention way more flexible. All the way from being like 4 years old until when I will have an income high enough to sustain a car, it is an integral part of how I get around and probably after that for short distances or city life.

What do people do without a bycicle when they want to visit a friend who lives 3 km away in a city, walk?

People here mostly take trams and busses since the public transport network is well covered and you can get away without paying a ticket. There arent enough bike lanes in the city to make it practical everywhere. Though i do live somewhat in the suburbs and close to the city artificial lake and recreation centre so there are more bikes around this part of town. When you get to the city core riding a bike is impossible because of the old narrow streets.

Offline Lars

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 01:04:39 pm »
http://vimeo.com/109273337

I fucking hate cyclists...

He gave a signal. It was entirely the car drivers fault. Poor judgement? No, just too much trust in retarded car drivers to stop when they should stop.

According to the traffic code( i guess it's the same in Finland too), the cyclist in the video should have stopped and dismount from the bike; that was a pedestrian crossing and not a pedestrian-bike crossing. In order to be allowed to do what the cyclist did, this road sign must be present at the crossing  :arrow:
(click to show/hide)
which means cyclists can cross the road without dismounting and cars must give them priority   

Nvm, i rewatched the video, actually the cyclist is right, because there are the white squares on the road close to the zebra crossing
(click to show/hide)
. "white squares" at a crossing have the same value of this road sign 
(click to show/hide)

I have never seen before the "white squares" meaning bike-crossing without the vertical road sign.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:03:22 pm by Lars »

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 02:12:18 pm »
I don't know if this is national or state law but at least around here you can get a DUI for biking drunk.

you can get a dui/dwi for using rollerblades, or a skateboard.  anything that is considered a means of transportation that the person is operating.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2014, 02:27:03 pm »
Being Dutch I couldn't imagine what my life or our cities would look like without bicycles. It's like 4 times faster than walking and in cities they are usually faster than buses too, not to mention way more flexible. All the way from being like 4 years old until when I will have an income high enough to sustain a car, it is an integral part of how I get around and probably after that for short distances or city life.

What do people do without a bycicle when they want to visit a friend who lives 3 km away in a city, walk?

Yeah, walk. It's a physical activity too. I like to bike for fun, but cycling in traffic is simply horrible. By using a bike instead of public transport to go to work I'd gain 45 minutes per day but it's too much stress. I like cycling in the city at night when there's almost no traffic though, that's really cool.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2014, 03:29:43 pm »
In Paraguay cycling is not very popular - mostly due to the sand/dirt roads everywhere. And the very limited awareness / general "industrialization" direction of the country...

But it is slowly taking up speed - the upper class bundle of stickss have discovered expensive mountain bikes as trend toys (if it is less than $5000 it's not worth it...), and some cheap ass bikes show up in supermarkets, occasionally you see kids in villages with less terrible roads on bikes, and here and there some old Paraguayan guy on some ancient something that remotely resembles a bicycle slowly pedaling along...  :)

Most folks here drive cheap motorcycles, and whoever can afford one has a car. Environmental aspects are almost non-existent, so nobody understands why riding a bicycle might be a useful alternative... 
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Spurdospera

• Earl
  • Renown: 315
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spurdo...
  • IRC nick: Spurdo
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2014, 06:04:22 pm »
+1

Nvm, i rewatched the video, actually the cyclist is right, because there are the white squares on the road close to the zebra crossing
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Yes indeed cyclist has right to USE the crossing because of those dots. Still that doesn´t mean that he´d have a priority while crossing; cyclists who wish to cross a road by using crossing must still give way to normal traffic since bicycles are vehicles. Thus that cyclist is still an asshole.
Quote from: Mortemer
spurdo is as useless as my hat.

Offline Maple_Syrup

• Count
  • Renown: 150
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boners
  • Game nicks: Captain_Canada Maple_Syrup_MB
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2014, 06:16:13 pm »
Canadian Cyclist here, been hit 2 times this year. our infrastructure is shit in my city and drivers are the large majority with aggression towards cyclists being common. :/

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2014, 06:33:18 pm »
+2
Well, the fact is that in a collision, car>bike. I personally don't care what the "law says", I'm not going to walk under a car either because "I had the right."
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Wiltzu

• Sceptical
  • Duke
  • Renown: 665
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarin_Wiltzu
  • IRC nick: Wiltzu
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2014, 06:43:31 pm »
+1
Yes, because it was the cyclists fault here right and not the car that almost ran him over AT A CROSSING?

Vibe it would've been the cyclist's fault. He would've had to pay the damage on the car. If you jump in front of a car at a crossing it's your fucking fault, not the driver's.

And besides.. who the actual fuck would be so fucking stupid to turn in front of a car which is clearly moving. This right here should be some fucking common sense. Even if some magical Vibe's Law way the cyclist had been right, he would've still suffered damage if hit by a moving car (okey the speed limit is 50km/h and he was wearing a helmet so the bike would've been the only damaged item).
When in Rome, live as the Romans do; when elsewhere, live as they live elsewhere.

Kaikki on tasa-arvoisia. Toiset on vain tasa-arvoisempia kuin toiset.

Offline Wiltzu

• Sceptical
  • Duke
  • Renown: 665
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarin_Wiltzu
  • IRC nick: Wiltzu
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2014, 06:46:14 pm »
+1

According to the traffic code( i guess it's the same in Finland too), the cyclist in the video should have stopped and dismount from the bike; that was a pedestrian crossing and not a pedestrian-bike crossing. In order to be allowed to do what the cyclist did, this road sign must be present at the crossing  :arrow:
(click to show/hide)
which means cyclists can cross the road without dismounting and cars must give them priority   

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

I have never seen before the "white squares" meaning bike-crossing without the vertical road sign.
(click to show/hide)

Lars this video is from Helsinki, Finland. We don't have the laws that you state you have in the "traffic code".

I don't want to make 3rd post so well:

CROSSWALK "SUOJATIE"

Finnish traffic code orders vehicle's driver to give way for pedestrian who are on the crosswalk or about to step on it. Vehicle's driver has to give way for cyclists or moped when the vehicle's driver has a ?Yield sign? or vehicle's driver is about to turn over the crosswalk. Cyclist who has got out from its bike has to be treated like a pedestrian. If there's a vehicle parked or a vehicle has stopped right before the crosswalk, driver has to stop before the crosswalk before driving over it.

/shitty translation

It would've been the cyclist fucking fault. The cyclist was a fucking idiot for giving the giggle and finger afterwards. End of the fucking discussion about that particular video.

Here you go, a random video from youtube

Now start arguing about whose fault it was and implement laws relating to this situation. HOWEVER, IN ANY CASE. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. DO NOT CHECK IF THE LAWS APPLY TO THE COUNTRY WHERE THE INCIDENT HAPPENED!

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:13:06 pm by Wiltzu »
When in Rome, live as the Romans do; when elsewhere, live as they live elsewhere.

Kaikki on tasa-arvoisia. Toiset on vain tasa-arvoisempia kuin toiset.