Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
Valkyria Chronicles
« on: November 26, 2014, 04:13:41 pm »
+4
Currently playing this, great game so far. It is a hybrid of real time, and turn based JSRPG. You have a number of command points you can spend on controling your units and issuing orders (those are special abilities that have widespread use, for example, temporary stats increase, or calling an air strike). The graphics hold up pretty well, just dont expect some kind of max payne 3-like goodness, this game is styled as a watercolor painting in motion, with anime-ish 3d cell shaded models. It has a pretty good story, set in fictional europe during the WW2. The main protagonist is a student named Welkin Gunther, a son of great WW1 tank commander from a country called Gallia, who surprisingly has completely different idea of life than his late father. Gallia is unfortunately caught in the middle of conflict between two great superpowers, The Imperial Aliliance, and Atlantic federation.

The whole world depends on a multipurpose ore called ragnite and it´s scarcity becomes a reason for the Imperial alliance to declare war upon the Atlantic Federation and subsequently Gallia, that is known to hold abundance of this ore. When Imperium attacks Welkins´s hometown of Bruhl, he chooses to help a young woman, commander of Bruhl´s town watch named Alicia Melchiott, to evacuate the citizentry of Bruhl. After those events, those two are conscripted to the militia, among with many others, to defend their country.

The game inlcudes stuff like building up your own squad, adding soldiers from one of five classes available. each and every soldier has their own quirks and perks, making it truly feel like you are commanding real people, not just some grey mass of grunts. The game has great lenght, easily jumping over 60 hours. However, this is also due to the fact, that the difficulty ramps up considerably after every chapter, making you replay some missions twice, if not more. But in the end, it does a great job in keeping the game fun and challanging.

The music is an instant classic, akin to games like Breath of Fire V and final fantasy, albeit more military themed.

The port is a job well done, inlcuding a variety of graphical settings, that proves that it is infact possible to do a great port from PS3 to pc (LOOKING AT YOU ROCKSTAR, YOU BUNCH OF LAZY bundle of sticksS) for a solid price of 20 dollars.

That about covers it. It is a great lenghty game with interesting story and plot twists for a price some would call bargain. A rare game indeed, fool would be the one missing up on this.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:46:45 pm by Nightmare798 »
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Valkyria Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 05:43:04 pm »
*BUMP*

Added video.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 05:19:05 pm »
+1
I have this on PS3 and it really is a great game.

Offline chesterotab

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 01:24:34 am »
use gedosato (http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=gedosato) to downsample if you have extra VRAM to spare, looks really good with this engine.

the english audio is way worse than the japanese audio, luckily they allow you to switch it easily in the options.

great game, slow start though.

▲ ▲
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 09:57:28 pm »
+1
use gedosato (http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=gedosato) to downsample if you have extra VRAM to spare, looks really good with this engine.

the english audio is way worse than the japanese audio, luckily they allow you to switch it easily in the options.

I honestly do not know what is the appear in japanese audio. I do not want to be rude to you guys who like it, but to me, japanese audio sounds goofy and over-the-top most of the time. Maybe I did not see enough anime or something, but I just dont get it. I mean, it seems stupid to me to play or listen to a medium that uses language that I do not even understand.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 10:31:22 pm »
I honestly do not know what is the appear in japanese audio. I do not want to be rude to you guys who like it, but to me, japanese audio sounds goofy and over-the-top most of the time. Maybe I did not see enough anime or something, but I just dont get it. I mean, it seems stupid to me to play or listen to a medium that uses language that I do not even understand.

Goofy is better than the super cheesy english voice overs. They just have better and more fitting voice acting.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 01:10:23 am »
+1
Looks interesting but I have this strange allergy about the strategy genre. Normally the RTS tag is always a turnoff.

Offline chesterotab

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 10:07:36 am »
The whole appeal for me is that, generally, the primary voice work is given much more polish than the secondary voice works. So being a japanese game, the japanese voices will be more professional and natural sounding. In this game in particular, the english voices are pretty bad for most of the characters.

▲ ▲

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 02:31:02 pm »
Have been playing it. A pretty fun game. Just don't mind the grading system of the missions and you'll have fun.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 06:53:35 pm »
Looks interesting but I have this strange allergy about the strategy genre. Normally the RTS tag is always a turnoff.

It's not RTS at all, there's actually some elements of strategy in it.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 07:25:58 pm »
It's a 3rd-person tactical-RPG. I have the second one for PSP but I couldn't get past the long intro/tutorial and the juxtaposition of kawaii anime tropes with a backdrop of war.
And how!

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 08:02:16 pm »
It's a 3rd-person tactical-RPG. I have the second one for PSP but I couldn't get past the long intro/tutorial and the juxtaposition of kawaii anime tropes with a backdrop of war.

The second one on PSP isn't all that great. The scale is too small.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 12:28:33 am »

I bought it a while ago when it came up on the store and noticed how it had a REALLY slow start. I gotta push myself through it and I'm sure I'd like it but its rough.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 01:53:35 am »
+1
Could you somewhat call it a "ww2 based" Fire Emblem?

Cause I liked Fire Emblem.
And I always restarted a mission before I let somebody of my team die (because in FE your units will be dead for the rest of the game, which made me play through some missions 10 to 20 times so I won´t loose my precious characters  :oops:)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:04:20 am by Ikarus »

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 02:03:19 am »
If it is kind of like that.. a ww2 fire emblem sort of thing.. I'd get it. Fire emblem was so fun.