Author Topic: Long Bow vs Yumi  (Read 8756 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Long Bow vs Yumi
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 08:39:12 pm »
+1
Well the test is telling to the extend that this particular yumi is more efficient than this particular longbow, which isn't very significant.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 09:23:36 pm »
+2
Hold on here.  There seems to be an assumption that all longbows had one of the infamous English longbowmen behind them.  That's definitely not the case.  Longbows were used all over Europe by many cultures but only the English had the freakshows.  The vast majority of them had nowhere near the 150-lb draw talked about here.

The video in the OP is a comparison of bow design and, I guess, technique at equal draw strength.  In those regards the Yumi is superior because it is both more accurate and hits harder.  If you compare a yumi with a 150-lb draw to a longbow with a 150-lb draw it's still going to beat it.  Now if they were talking about the "ultimate archer of the middle ages" then your points would have more validity.

I can't believe I'm arguing on the side of a Japanese weapon on these forums but there it is.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 10:03:27 pm »
+1
Hold on here.  There seems to be an assumption that all longbows had one of the infamous English longbowmen behind them.  That's definitely not the case.  Longbows were used all over Europe by many cultures but only the English had the freakshows.  The vast majority of them had nowhere near the 150-lb draw talked about here.

The video in the OP is a comparison of bow design and, I guess, technique at equal draw strength.  In those regards the Yumi is superior because it is both more accurate and hits harder.  If you compare a yumi with a 150-lb draw to a longbow with a 150-lb draw it's still going to beat it.  Now if they were talking about the "ultimate archer of the middle ages" then your points would have more validity.

I can't believe I'm arguing on the side of a Japanese weapon on these forums but there it is.c
We want to find out what the best bow is, don't we? If we want to do that it isn't very clever to use the meditative Yumi(wchich it was used for) and compare it to a longbow whih was used to practice target shooting. Looking for the best bow we would have to look at the best bows available within the categories Yumi and longbow, not the average or most widely used ones. And like I pointed out before, you can't make a Yumi with 150lbs of draw weight. Arguing about accuracy, I don't know whether the Yumi was more accurate, yes the arrow does leave the bow with more accuracy, but a fully powered warbow would propel the arrow faster, which in turn would give it a more straight flight. Another thing about the accuracy though is the difference in sides of the bow on which to place the arrow, I shoot both types of bows(Yumi just a couple of times yet though) and I would say the arrow isn't as stable on the side of the bow as it is with a longbow, but that ofc. could be because I learned to shoot with a longbow instead of a Yumi.
BTW Another reason why the Yumi gets a + on accuracy is because when you release the string, you twist the bow itself away from the arrow, so the arrow barely touches the bow once it is propelled so the arrow doesn't drift off as much.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 11:12:35 pm »
+1
I can't believe I'm arguing on the side of a Japanese weapon on these forums but there it is.

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Tiger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 853
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • Made In China
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: TigerGirl; MooMooMilk; BobaBubbleTea; TerraCotta; Tuberculosis; BoomStickGirl
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 11:41:49 pm »
I agree with Nehvar and Berethorn  :D

"The long united must divide; the long divided must unite."
"How many things, before and after, all melt into gossip and laughter."

Offline Dionysus

• Duke
  • Renown: 696
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • I move-- for no man.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Art of War
  • Game nicks: Dionysus_AoW
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 04:05:02 am »
tho humorously I believe it was Agincourt where italian crossbow mercs tried to do a few volleys, but because of rain they had wet strings and couldn't shoot so they got scared off by the english archers. the french knights then immediately cav charged their own italian mercs for being cowardly ranged, and killed most of them themselves

No, that was the Battle of Crécy.

longbows had nothing to do with english success at agincourt, archers were just dirt cheap compared to knights so they hired a bunch, any arrow would fuck up unarmored horses (which is all they accomplished with ranged)

I wasn't arguing the longbow won Agincourt; I was saying it would likely have been preferred by the English and Welsh due to the way High Middle Age warfare was fought, which was incredibly different than Japanese warfare.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 06:40:38 am »
+1
Longbows had nothing to do with victory at Agincourt? Fucking idiot.

Read some proper history books before talking such utter bollocks.

Crecy, Poitiers, Agincourt would all have been English defeats without the longbow. Armies comprised of foot knights protecting longbowmen didnt win one offs in weird conditions they consistently won engagements.

What is it with septics spouting so confidently on things they know nothing about?

sorry man reading a few wikipedia articles and playing medieval 2 total war instead of going to your senior highschool prom doesn't make you an expert in anything

I bet you think the french's armor was penetrated by the Mighty, 1xx Draw Weight Super Longbow Action penetrationg shots too right

oh and all the casualties caused by the Legendary English Bowmen were them stabbing unarmed prisoners in the neck out of cowardice and fear instead of any actual military accomplishment

The french were defeated by mud and a brazen war crime, the English were shit, and if  they actually had anything going on for them with the Superior Longbowmen, you'd think they wouldn't of lost the 100 years war so completely and pathetically..
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 07:01:32 am »
sorry man reading a few wikipedia articles and playing medieval 2 total war instead of going to your senior highschool prom doesn't make you an expert in anything

I bet you think the french's armor was penetrated by the Mighty, 1xx Draw Weight Super Longbow Action penetrationg shots too right

oh and all the casualties caused by the Legendary English Bowmen were them stabbing unarmed prisoners in the neck out of cowardice and fear instead of any actual military accomplishment

The french were defeated by mud and a brazen war crime, the English were shit, and if  they actually had anything going on for them with the Superior Longbowmen, you'd think they wouldn't of lost the 100 years war so completely and pathetically..

Whoa, before you go sperging all over these guys, just remember:

England's greatest accomplishment isn't the longbowman. It's 'Murica.

Offline Lactating Vegetables

• Count
  • Renown: 280
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew Pew
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy
  • Game nicks: Aurora/ Lactating Vegetables/ Aurora_Borealis/ Hirovard
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 01:08:26 pm »
+2
Whoa, before you go sperging all over these guys, just remember:

England's greatest accomplishment isn't the longbowman. It's 'Murica.

No that's Europe's achievement, as it wasn't only the English that went over there

Aurora makes me grab a shield every game!

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 02:45:36 pm »
+3

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 04:38:18 pm »
+3
I ain't lion, this thread is getting pretty irrelephant

We should stop arguing over Long and Yumi bows, and just accept the fact that both contribute to this ranged shitstorm