Author Topic: Game mechanic suggestion: party stamina (movement speed overhaul)  (Read 532 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
The speed on strategus is somewhat slow, but it takes into account the fact that your troops dont need to sleep at all. You can click "move" somewhere and just forget about it for days.
Its a kind of lazy gameplay actually  :P  but what if we implemented a stamina parameter?

Something that would simulate the fact that you NEED to make camp every once in a while, or your guys will move very slowly.
The exact formulaes/bonus/malus I let the developers think about, if they are interested in this. So dont take "my numbers" as the only possibility but just an example.

The principles that could be applied to the game would be this:

* the stamina would have 3 states : empty (0%), not empty (1-100%), in excess (101-150%) (read more for the "why")
- when the bar is empty, your movement speed is reduced (-50% to normal speed)
- when the bar is not empty, your movement speed is normal
- when the bar is in excess, your movement speed is increased (+50% to normal speed)

* when your party is moving, you are decreasing your stamina (marching in formation): from a "full" stamina (100%), it would decrease to 0% in 12 hours, half a day march (-0.13% per minute, -8.3% per hour)
* when your party isnt moving, you are increasing your stamina (in camp): from a "empty" stamina (0%) it would increase to 100% in 6 hours, a quarter of a day sleep. (+0.27% per minute, +16.6% per hour)
* if your party isnt moving after you reach 100% stamina, you keep increasing it (extra care): from a "full" stamina (100%), it would increase to 150% in 6 more hours, a quarter of a day over-sleep/care. (+0.13% per minute, +8.3% per hour)

I think it would implement a more realistic approach on when to move, when to not move, and begin managing your army like a real one.
An army march on its stomach.

Someone who would be "chased" on the map would not be able to run for days without having to slow down at all.
Someone who have fresh troops would go a little bit faster than someone who wearied down his army.

(the movement speed decrease/increase with crates/horses etc doesnt need to be modified, its actually pretty good, and combined with this suggestion it can have interesting results)

The problem I would see in this is that it would increase micromanagement...
The fact that we have no semi-automatic feature enabling players to order your army to do anything else than moving in a straight line, and waiting for the next order like stupid people doesnt help. We could benefit from having the option to plan your army movement and action; we could have a relay point system where we can tell our army to go point A then sleep x hours, then point B, without having to be there behind the screen  :P
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:02:35 pm by Butan »

Offline buba

• Count
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 33
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Buba_theVagabond
Re: Game mechanic suggestion: party stamina (movement speed overhaul)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:10:05 am »
Bump, like the idea.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 07:48:05 am »
+1
You don't really need to add any "features" Butan to add this. Camp could simply = standing still.

Have one rate of stamina regen for outside a fief vs inside. Outside a fief regen to 100% could take 8 hours and inside a fief it could take 4.

Keep it mostly simple.

----

Imo I prefer checking on the progress and looking at everyone marching around me. I track everything I see and keep an eye on it, friend or foe I like to know what's going on around me.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:20:47 pm »
+2
Too much micro management.  Keep it simple.  I don't want to live on strat just to keep my army moving.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:33:04 pm »
Thats what I meant Frank. All the details I flung around is just to show there is no loose end.

Too much micro management.  Keep it simple.  I don't want to live on strat just to keep my army moving.

True, in the current strat if it was applied without care it would be hell. Thats why I added a kind of off-topic last paragraph to deal with it.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 06:12:29 am »
That would make it tolerable.  Also way points to have the party make course changes.

Offline Kalitorian

• Count
  • Renown: 164
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: Kalitorian, Lerikalian, Torilerian
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:37:59 pm »
That would make it tolerable.  Also way points to have the party make course changes.
Definitely not. This would be an immense advantage for big factions that have lots of semiactive players...