Which is better in game?

Cut
17 (22.7%)
Blunt
21 (28%)
Pierce
37 (49.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Cut, Blunt, and Pierce; which is better in game, not just on paper?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
So, on paper, which is the best? clearly pierce or blunt, right? but as we all know, say from CS:S (or GO if you're cool), snipers and ak's have the best damage. why by something else? thats what this thread is about.

My opinion:
(click to show/hide)

Do tell why you voted the way you did if you'd like.

Offline bavvoz

• Earl
  • Renown: 323
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bavvo
Try for example a bec de corbin :)

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
+3
Damn it I thought you were talking about the effect, not the weapons themselves.

Swords are unrealistically op yeh.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
+6
Blunt is technically the best, deals slightly higher damage than pierce up to 80 raw damage, a value which I guesstimate to be higher than what an average attack does. I am a huge blunt/pierce whore, with average armour values being like 60 in EU, 30b/p trumps 40c on average. When taking into account the kind of weapons that are usually cut/blunt/pierce my favourites are pierce stab weapons or cut four directionals, simply because these get the most length.

Also you are wrong about thrusts not maximizing damage. Speed bonus carries over best to thrust attacks and you can pull of the sickest one shots with a 27p Pike because of speed bonuses. 33p Awlpike feels a lot more damaging than a 34p Bec.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
+1
Cut. Generally better weapons overall.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
While cut weapons have in general better stats overall, knockdown gives blunt an edge and gets my vote.

Offline Johammeth

• King
  • Renown: 1077
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ConnectiKUTT
+4
The right tool for the right job.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
Blunt is technically the best, deals slightly higher damage than pierce up to 80 raw damage, a value which I guesstimate to be higher than what an average attack does. I am a huge blunt/pierce whore, with average armour values being like 60 in EU, 30b/p trumps 40c on average. When taking into account the kind of weapons that are usually cut/blunt/pierce my favourites are pierce stab weapons or cut four directionals, simply because these get the most length.

Also you are wrong about thrusts not maximizing damage. Speed bonus carries over best to thrust attacks and you can pull of the sickest one shots with a 27p Pike because of speed bonuses. 33p Awlpike feels a lot more damaging than a 34p Bec.

what i meant is its much harder to get the sweet spot on stabs. I use stabs to great effect with my MW spathion, and its great, but not often in dueling combat.

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
+2
The right tool for the right job.

For sure.  Too many variables to vote one as the best.  1h sword thrusts can't be compared to long polearms and their 2h counterparts.  Blunt weapons really aren't that slow; especially if you include side swings from staves, spears, and hafted maces.  Weapon length is usually their drawback.

With the way armor soak values are, you can cut through plate even with a 1h slash, therefore everyone's able to maximize on a balanced weapon.  Personally I like the pierce on support polearms - when they're caught off guard its over in 2-3 hits, regardless of armor or heirloom level.  Playing 1h you can get away with high speed / high damage cut weapons, trading speed for length or thrust for swing as you see fit; personally I liked high swing on the Niuweidao and the Nordic Champion / Arabian Cav.  Its possible to kill someone in milanese with an agi build and a wakizashi - but if there's 3+ of them, better off cheaping them out with high pierce and a teammate to interrupt their blocks.

In the end its about what's a fun and effective play style for you.  As much as I have a boner for support polearms, I can't stand pikes.  I can't stand the shorter balanced spears like the warspear, but other people do wonders with their speed and versatility - I'd rather swing a heavy cut 2hander like a Claymore or Dadao if I were going to swing at 120 length, but even then 2h stab is one of the best attack directions in the game.  My only loomed 1 hander is the goofy iron mace, solely because it looks like an onion.  The way armor works in this game, you can get away with anything, it's more about the rest of your team and how much room you have to maneuver.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Osakasa

• Baron
  • Renown: 101
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Osa|Kasa|la
+1
Pierce
You can watch as steel pick shielderbot comes and melts away your HP with few hits regardless you are wearing light or heavy armour. Plus it doesn't really matter whether he has PS4 or PS8, both are deadly as hell. Same goes also for morningball, few hits and you have one fresh kill.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
Re: Cut, Blunt, and Pierce; which is better in game, not just on paper?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 08:53:07 pm »
Blunt and pierce weapons, best weapons. Piercing weapons tend to have a lot of damage, short range, high speed, whereas blunt ones got knockdown, less damages, better range, and slower speed. But some weapons like Spokatospathion or the military hammer got good reach, and a decent speed when it's loomed. For me, blunt is superior for the knockdown perk, that always get you a kill more or less free. Plus the graphic about damage reduction shows the best kind of damage is blunt.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 05:01:30 pm »
+4
In the ghetto:

You can smoke blunts.
You can get cut.

But after you go to prison, nobody wants to get "pierced".
(click to show/hide)

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 06:01:30 pm »
+1
do like the clones...

just enough str to use, rest goes to agi
• max ps
• max shield
• max wpf
• feel the epeen erection

(click to show/hide)

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 06:17:33 pm »
+4
pierce have very long reach, you need to take bodkin arrows  :twisted:
Archer forever :D

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 09:57:21 am »
+2
45+ cut damage. Lots of variety,fun and that awkward boner when you onehit people (Especially with Mighty Persian Battle Axe's 52c)