Author Topic: Internal bow balance  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Internal bow balance
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:43:52 pm »
My proposal for bows is the following:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I tried to carefully plan it out. You will disagree with some of them (such as horn bow having the best missile speed), but I tried to keep every factor in mind. I didn't want to nerf archery in general. Low tier bows are just a bit worse than high tiers in missile speed now, which makes them good support weapons for their cost since they still keep their attack speed and damage. It is now also easier to dodge arrows. Plus these changes also doesn't make long bow easier to use, as tydeus wanted; and which I also agree with.

Last suggestion is to make +3 bows a bit better compared to +0 versions. At the moment, there is almost no point in looming them. Old difference was too huge, but there has to be at least some difference to make +3 bows worthwhile. Plus, archery has became the best class for the first gen because of this fact. Everyone want less archers right? This change will not render them useless, but will not encourage them to start as an archer character either.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 437
  • Infamy: 816
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Internal bow balance
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:02:47 pm »
+1
You have my support, if that means anything to you. Much better than current situation, that's for sure.

Offline 722_

• Marshall
  • Renown: 991
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:12:39 pm »
+1
I think everyone would just use long bow, Rus and horn bow, loosing that much accuracy and missile speed from lower tier bows would make them pretty poor option. plus an upkeep drop from long bow and rus would make them more appealing and you would probably end up with more complaints when everyone is getting hit by longbows. I think maybe keep the upkeep the same for higher tier bows and keep your price changes to the cheaper bows,so they cost more. then drop the speed rating of the lower tier bows by two or three points.

it may even be a good idea to revert the loom patch to be honest, i didnt really want to but there where less archers around when doing well required loomed equipment. having MW bows do the damage that bows do now, and regular do 3 less damage
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:20:14 pm by 722_ »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:33:51 pm »
By the way, fixed the typo:
from
First : -1 damage from all non loomed bows
to
First : -2 damage from all non loomed bows
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:50:40 pm »
+1
Double post, but it was needed :)

You have my support, if that means anything to you. Much better than current situation, that's for sure.
Of course it means something. Why did you say so?

I think everyone would just use long bow, Rus and horn bow, loosing that much accuracy and missile speed from lower tier bows would make them pretty poor option. plus an upkeep drop from long bow and rus would make them more appealing and you would probably end up with more complaints when everyone is getting hit by longbows. I think maybe keep the upkeep the same for higher tier bows and keep your price changes to the cheaper bows,so they cost more. then drop the speed rating of the lower tier bows by two or three points.
I must say I didn't really thought of that, but imo it is not so nice for long and rus bow users to lose plenty of gold. They always seemed to cost too much for me (I used long bow for one gen).

Hmm there is also the fact that slow bows like longbow, I think, are much harder to use in battle compared to fast bows. Less attack speed means it is harder to time the attacks out, not really fitting the low tier bow users. If they want to change their bows it will most likely be: from nomad bow [1,356 gold] to longbow [9,100 gold], still a huge difference. Plus they will be attacking with a bow with less missile speed. I think this will encourage some archers to use long bows (typical trend behaviour), and will make half of those archers to choose another class after some time. What you explained might be a short term problem. But that's just a theory.

it may even be a good idea to revert the loom patch to be honest, i didnt really want to but there where less archers around when doing well required loomed equipment. having MW bows do the damage that bows do now, and regular do 3 less damage
I must say, non-loomed archery was really under powered and overall extremely annoying for the user. Maybe it was there for the greater good (less archers) but it also made some new people to lose interest to the mod (my cousin gave up playing because of that). It was a big difference in damage percentage. I think nerfing a little bit like this, might make people to change their class to something else. Similar to the trend behaviour I explained above. Again, that's my theory.

Overall a very nice feedback from you. I still consider your ideas :wink: It's also very good that a long bow user is not lobbying for his class/item.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 01:19:38 am »
+2
This isn't internal balance, it is a flat out nerf to every 1 slot bow.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 89
  • Infamy: 2352
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 01:58:05 am »
See no problem there, it's one of the ways to reduce number of projectiles in the air. Still, there are wonderful 0 slot weapons, if that's the problem.

What needs nerfs are those tiny gimmick bows and class which use them, horse archers.

Edit: Don't tell me you're horse archer now, Gran_Pappy? Because I'll be hella disappointed.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:02:52 am by Leshma »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 10:40:25 am »
It is impossible not to touch the other balance parts, when working on such a thing like this. Still, it is sad to see that you see this suggestion from a nerf-buff perspective (I know you use a nomad bow on horse). I tried to make every bow to have a reason to use, unlike before.

You may think your favored bow sucks now. I don't think you need to start lobbying as I think it will still be a good bow for a Horse Archer (everyone should stop lobbying anyway). It will effect ground archers that rely on that bow mostly. Either that, or nomad bow had to cost like 8k as it was practically a top tier bow before. I suggested it to be a fast, cheap and supporting bow (better attack speed means better chances of stunning opponents repeatedly). Excels at the task of a Horse Archer imo, supporting your teammates. Not that it does less damage now, it is only the projectile and accuracy that is effected (accuracy, being the same as the current rus bow. Not really a nerf.). A Horse archer can get up close, so missile speed doesn't matter all that much for certain playstyles. If that doesn't suit your playstyle, you are free to use a tatar or a horn bow. Or simply, use a +3 bow to have better missile speed (if you don't already).

I lowered the missile speed of all bows in general, so it will be easier to dodge for the classes that has to rely on it. About accuracy, now every bow has the same accuracy. I think it makes it a fair game for every bow user. I love it you see this as a nerf, while it actually does not necessarily aims to do that. It proves my point about many people rage-respeccing to change to another class. Lower missile speed --> better dodging. It unovaidably nerfs the class a bit, but can you say it is better for your arrows to be impossible to dodge from a whole game balance perspective?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 10:56:14 am »

Buffing 2 slot bows is not internal balance but a flat out buff to all 2 slot bows, too.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 09:36:00 pm »
It is a very bad idea and one not thought through.

Lower missile speed will result in a shorter range. Shorter range means you don't need as much WM to be accurate. Strength builds with high PD will begin popping up like mushrooms. Damage done will increase. It also makes xbow's the only distance ranged with their speeding bullet bolts.

Then there is the speed bonus. Cavalry charging an infantry hill are going to start losing their horse in 1 shot. HA and HX will begin to kill lightly armored in one shot and do significant damage to plate. It will also break shields faster.

Hey, maybe you are on to something after all! I will lose some range but become a 1 shot demon instead. I reckon I'll take that. So go on ahead.

(everyone should stop lobbying anyway).

Everyone but you? Then delete this thread if you want lobbying to stop. Hypocrite  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:39:22 pm by Rumblood »
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 10:22:11 pm »
It is a very bad idea and one not thought through.

Lower missile speed will result in a shorter range. Shorter range means you don't need as much WM to be accurate. Strength builds with high PD will begin popping up like mushrooms. Damage done will increase. It also makes xbow's the only distance ranged with their speeding bullet bolts.

Then there is the speed bonus. Cavalry charging an infantry hill are going to start losing their horse in 1 shot. HA and HX will begin to kill lightly armored in one shot and do significant damage to plate. It will also break shields faster.

Hey, maybe you are on to something after all! I will lose some range but become a 1 shot demon instead. I reckon I'll take that. So go on ahead.

Everyone but you? Then delete this thread if you want lobbying to stop. Hypocrite  :rolleyes:

IMO missiles are way too fast. What you describe may happen or not following a missile speed nerf, but in any case it can easily be rebalanced around lower missile speeds.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 10:35:28 pm »
The lower the weapon's base projectile speed, the greater the increase to your own damage from an oncoming charge. So he's right about that. Of course, I don't think lower missile speed will affect the range players choose to shoot from, at least not significantly.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline En_Dotter

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Main: Qunicy_En_Dotter; Alts: Guardian_En_Dotter; Guardian_Spiralle
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 07:18:47 pm »
+2
Of course, I don't think lower missile speed will affect the range players choose to shoot from, at least not significantly.
What are u talking about???
The change of missile speed made Nomad bow the ultimate strategus siege weapon. The defender archers couldnt reach me properly with their long/rus bows, while i was hsing them from rly far. I would just pull the arrows from the ground in front of me afterwards and continue. Missile speed change really dictated the "power" of the bows during strat sieges. Too bad some factions didnt realize that on time.
Also this suggestion sucks balls in general. Short bow should never be that expensive... ITS A FUCKING PEASANT BOW. Big - from me. Next patch "Practice dagger 3442 gold"...
Nothing is better than eternal happiness.
Eating a sandwich is better than nothing.
Therefore, eating a sandwich is better than eternal happiness.

Offline Angellore

• Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 11:55:42 am »
+1
Of course, I don't think lower missile speed will affect the range players choose to shoot from, at least not significantly.
What are u talking about???
The change of missile speed made Nomad bow the ultimate strategus siege weapon. The defender archers couldnt reach me properly with their long/rus bows, while i was hsing them from rly far. I would just pull the arrows from the ground in front of me afterwards and continue. Missile speed change really dictated the "power" of the bows during strat sieges. Too bad some factions didnt realize that on time.
The biggest problem is, devs knows nothing about archery itself. The proof of my thoughts, was the patch which increased missile speed by +6 to +10 in some bows, which is just way too huge difference. As archer, I feel the difference between every single missile speed - buffing bows by 6 or 10 missile speed at one time was just crazy.
I suspect devs also don't know higher missile speed means higher damage. Between Horn Bow +3 and Rus Bow +3 there is just slight difference in damage after patch (in theory 4 damage difference between those bows, after missile speed patch it feels more like ~1.5 damage difference), but between Rus Bow and Long Bow the damage difference is clearly noticable (in theory 3 damage difference between those bows).
It was fine before, but then they made this missile speed "patch", which broken everything. Like eg. Horn Bow had too few advantages before (1 slot, much higher shooting speed than 2 slot bows, better accuracy), they had to give it +6 mssile speed, so now it's also amazing bow to shoot on range. The difference of 6 missile speed is so huge, I can now aim properly from more than half a map with this bow, especially Horn Bow always had better accuracy than Rus Bow or Long Bow.
Compare of Long Bow vs Horn Bow accuracy - the difference is clearly noticable:

So now Horn Bow has better accuracy, much better range and easier aiming, much higher shooting speed, and it's still quite cheap 1 slot bow. The only downside of using Horn Bow now is lower damage than Long Bow. But it's not that bad, after +6 missile speed buff, it has about damage of Rus Bow (which makes Rus Bow silly to use bow).
You also play as Horse Archer with lower tier bows, so missile speed patch buffed HA significantly, making it much easier to play class than before.
That's how people who knows nothing about archery "balance" bows.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 12:44:16 pm »
worst idea ever

My idea
Set a hefty turn rate limit on archers with bow drawn. This will significantly reduce their ability to shoot you in close quarters. the real problem with archery.

Simple approach
(click to show/hide)
tldr; warband archery is broken
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.